Nissan Titan PRO-4X

OP
G
You are crazy to go to a Titan which is such a good truck that Nissan is discontinuing it. Buy a 2020 or 2021 Tundra.
Sales numbers aren’t the measure of a good truck otherwise Tundra wouldn’t be a distant fourth. I’ve looked at the 2020-21s. Actually was shopping for one since May, but every time I drive one, I feel like I’d be spending $40-42k for an incremental improvement. Even the TRD Pro I drove today was hardly any nicer than my 13 year old SR5 with an aftermarket display and nice seat covers and they wanted $51k with 34k miles and cheap, off brand highway tires.

The refreshed Gen 2 Tundras lost all the underseat storage in the back, most of the underseat storage for the front seats, and that smaller dash compartment is gone. I think the center console is smaller too. I’d have to buy one of those kits and cut the floor out to get some of the storage back and then still install one of those swing boxes to keep my stuff. I wouldn’t mind that stuff if other areas were improved, but they weren’t. I still can’t believe Toyota couldn’t figure out a 9 or 10 speed Transmission with the 5.7 to squeeze out 16-18 combined MPG. That would have been killer with the 38 gallon tank.

swampfox

FNG
I just checked Fuelly.com and I don’t think you’ll be getting much fuel mileage improvement going to a Titan. 2014-2021 Titan avg ranges from 12.9 - 15.3 mpg and the Tundra avg ranges from 13.6 - 14.1 mpg. I think at best you are looking at 1 mpg improvement with similar driving and at worst a wash.

I have a 2017 Tundra and try to stay out of the throttle unless I need it. Before I lifted the front end a bit and put bigger tires on it 17-18 combined mpg was pretty easy to achieve if I wanted to. After the lift/tires I’m generally getting 14.5 - 15 mpg with about 50/50 city/hwy if I’m not towing. But like I said I stay out of the throttle and my hwy driving is around 65 so that helps quite a bit. All that to say there may be many reasons to get a Titan but I don’t think fuel economy is one of them.

My first Tundra is was a 2007 and as you say there is only incremental improvement to the Gen 2.5. For me that is the beauty of Toyota, they don’t change things just to change them so stuff tends to break less. But if you’re looking for a radical change in ownership/driving experience you’ll definitely have to go to a 22+ or another brand. So perhaps Tundra isn’t for you, just get the Titan and I’m sure it will be great. The only guy I know of with a Titan has had pretty good luck with his. He had a wiring issue in the rear tail light that burned up the plastic a bit and caused some weird electrical issues but it was replaced under warranty and has been good since. I could never be convinced that on average they will be as reliable as a gen 2 Tundra, but if the Tundra is boring to you and you don’t want to pay a bunch for essentially the same truck you are in now just get the Titan and who cares what a bunch of guys on the internet think.

Sales numbers aren’t the measure of a good truck otherwise Tundra wouldn’t be a distant fourth. I’ve looked at the 2020-21s. Actually was shopping for one since May, but every time I drive one, I feel like I’d be spending $40-42k for an incremental improvement. Even the TRD Pro I drove today was hardly any nicer than my 13 year old SR5 with an aftermarket display and nice seat covers and they wanted $51k with 34k miles and cheap, off brand highway tires.

The refreshed Gen 2 Tundras lost all the underseat storage in the back, most of the underseat storage for the front seats, and that smaller dash compartment is gone. I think the center console is smaller too. I’d have to buy one of those kits and cut the floor out to get some of the storage back and then still install one of those swing boxes to keep my stuff. I wouldn’t mind that stuff if other areas were improved, but they weren’t. I still can’t believe Toyota couldn’t figure out a 9 or 10 speed Transmission with the 5.7 to squeeze out 16-18 combined MPG. That would have been killer with the 38 gallon tank.
Thats the magic of the Tundra and why it is so reliable. I had an 18 TRD off road, bought a new cummins in 2020, then last year went back to a tundra - found a 2020 1794 with 10k miles on it. MPGs arent great, interior and tech is outdated, although I do have apple car play and a wireless charging station. But this truck will also likely go to 500k miles without any major problems.

CorbLand

WKR
Between this thread and your other one, it’s pretty clear that you don’t want another Tundra. Go buy the Titan and let us know your experience with it.

WRO

WKR
You can put a bigger tank in your truck for 1500.00 fyi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
I love my tundra, but if I was looking I would seriously consider the Nissan. You save a lot of money up front it seems, but of course you lose it on resale in the end.

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
IF you buy a Titan.... I have a set of rims and studded Tires to make you a heck of a deal on!

Tradchef

WKR
I’ve got a 2011 Titan and I’m at 275k and have had zero issues with it. Solid underrated trucks for sure. Was a Toyota fan for a long time. The prices those seem to be getting in the current market is insane. To me they aren’t worth the money but that’s just me

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
Not apples to apples but.... I've got the 2017 Titan XD with the Cummins, it is the Pro4X trim package. Aside from DEF system issues, which thankfully were under warranty, I'm at 100k miles and have had ZERO other issues with the truck.

I do more dirt/rough road driving than most I would think, probably 40k of the 100k has been not on pavement, and I still don't have a ton of rattles or issues from that either.

Solid trucks for the price in my opinion, might lose out on resale value like others said but you're also paying less to begin with so is it really a loss?