NM 16B Archery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Short mag

FNG
I drew an early archery elk tag in 16B/22. I’m from the eastern part of the state and don’t know much about the unit(s). Any tips, or good locations for this hunt? Thanks in advance.

BBob

WKR
Lots of that unit is remote. You don't have to go remote to kill but you can. Some of it is very rugged and far with no vehicle access so if you kill it can be a struggle on your own to haul a bull out.

OP
S

Short mag

FNG
Thank you. I’ve know a LITTLE about the area, having hunted lion in adjoining units I just haven’t been in 16b or 22. I’ll be bringing horses and will pack in. On pack in hunts I typically like to get at least 5 miles in, that usually gets you away from the crowds. Any info on the interior would be great.

Jdeck09

FNG
I drew an early archery elk tag in 16B/22. I’m from the eastern part of the state and don’t know much about the unit(s). Any tips, or good locations for this hunt? Thanks in advance.
Congrats! Family member drew the same tag but the later archery tag. From my first round of research, it seems to be rugged, thick, and has lots of hell holes. Older posts seem to suggest you could get it done from the road or go deep for some monsters. Biggest issues are water, heat, and getting it out.

Good luck!

OP
S

Short mag

FNG
Congrats! Family member drew the same tag but the later archery tag. From my first round of research, it seems to be rugged, thick, and has lots of hell holes. Older posts seem to suggest you could get it done from the road or go deep for some monsters. Biggest issues are water, heat, and getting it out.

Good luck!
Thank you.

Jdeck09

FNG
That's great news. I'm not from New Mexico so I'm old data from other posts. Thanks for the inside scoop

How did the hunt end up going for you? I also just drew that tag and am looking for tips as well. I've hunted Wyoming a lot but never in the high temps that it sounds like I'll see in NM.

Jdeck09

FNG
How did the hunt end up going for you? I also just drew that tag and am looking for tips as well. I've hunted Wyoming a lot but never in the high temps that it sounds like I'll see in NM.
It was a hard hunt with little to no bugling. We did tag out on a great bull. You're going to need to find water. Every bull I saw this year got killed on his way to water or on water.

It was a hard hunt with little to no bugling. We did tag out on a great bull. You're going to need to find water. Every bull I saw this year got killed on his way to water or on water.
Awesome, congrats!! Did you end up using horses, and do you think they are a must? I have a message into an outfitter to possibly do a drop camp and pack out if needed. I'm also not afraid to do some hiking but need to find water and or come back to base camp every night.

Jdeck09

FNG
Awesome, congrats!! Did you end up using horses, and do you think they are a must? I have a message into an outfitter to possibly do a drop camp and pack out if needed. I'm also not afraid to do some hiking but need to find water and or come back to base camp every night.
We did a drop camp with GT from Beaver head Outfitters/Frontier Outfitters( I do not recommend them).

It tough hunting and the terrain is surprisingly difficult even without elevation.

I'd suggest a drop camp or at least someone to pack water in and the elk out.

I only found one spring that I'd drink out of. The rest of the spots were muddy, mucky messes.

We drank a lot of water because of the heat. Liquid IV is a must have to keep your brain going as you grind in that heat

We did a drop camp with GT from Beaver head Outfitters/Frontier Outfitters( I do not recommend them).

It tough hunting and the terrain is surprisingly difficult even without elevation.

I'd suggest a drop camp or at least someone to pack water in and the elk out.

I only found one spring that I'd drink out of. The rest of the spots were muddy, mucky messes.

We drank a lot of water because of the heat. Liquid IV is a must have to keep your brain going as you grind in that heat
Thanks for the info, if you can think of anything else that I should know shoot me a message. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.