NM Bighorn sheep hunt 2019

Felix40

WKR
I was lucky enough to draw a tag for rocky mountain bighorn sheep here in NM. Im pretty excited about the hunt so I figured I could start a thread here about it.

My unit is about 6 hours from where Iive. Im hoping to make two scouting trips this summer to look at the two general areas that have produced big rams in the past. Hopefully I can post some pictures here and let people in the know try to give me a rough score. Im pretty much squared away on all the gear and other preparations so theres not much to do right now except look at maps and stuff.

One thing I would like some feedback on is taxidermy work. I havent seen a lot of bighorn shoulder mounts that I really like a lot so my plan now is to do a euro. I wouldnt mind seeing some shoulder mount pictures from everyone here so I can think about it more. For something like this I wouldnt mind shipping it to a taxi in another state to get what I want.

Thats all I have for now. The hunt is the first of sept and scouting will start when the snow melts off the peaks.

HuntWyld

WKR
Looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing about your upcoming scouting trips.

MtGomer

WKR
Check out shoulder pedestals, specifically from Dewey Wildlife Studio in Cody, WY.

There are other great taxidermists too but Dewey is pretty much unarguabley the best sheep taxidermist in the world.

Unless money is tight or you just have a huge hard on for Euro mounts, I think you’d regret not getting it mounted.
You can also have a replica made from a place like Wyo Backcountry Decor, if you like Euros. You can hardly tell the difference between it and the real thing.

When you use Dewey, they’re across town from WBD so they’ll handle getting them the horns to do the replica.

I have several friends with multiple Rockies from them that just look incredible. One is on a pedestal that allows you to swivel the ram
They did my dall life size and a caribou and the detail is just unbelievable.

EastMT

WKR
I personally like pedestal mounts better than life size, not sure why. If I was lucky enough to draw a bighorn, I would have a Euro replica made, do a pedestal like this one

c91f79401cff9ec67ff7d386951aa3d5.jpg

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Congrats on the tag that is awesome!!!!!!!!!

I dont have any suggestions otherwise. You can always bring the full skin back have it all tanned and start with a euro mount and if you dont like that do a shoulder or full body mount.

Oh man congrats! How cool to have that tag in your pocket!

Personally I would do the euro replica and pedestal mount like mtgomer suggested. Once in a lifetime tag...go all in!

Axlrod

WKR
If I ever draw a sheep tag its getting shoulder mounted. I euro deer, elk, antelope- stuff i can hunt every year

204guy

WKR
Another option to consider is a wall pedistal. It removes that coming out of the wall look. Did my dall that way and it turned out nice.

Congrats on the tag.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
Felix40

Felix40

WKR
The more I look at mounts the more I think I could get one done that I would like. My taxi here sent me a couple pictures and they looked good. A lot of bighorns I see look like they are smirking and I dont want something like that when I know I would like a euro.

Just a fun fact.....wheeler peak wilderness has produced the 5 biggest rams in the state. I have several guys who have said they are willing to come along for scouting. With any luck we might be able to find the biggest ram out there and target him specifically in september.

Get a good taxidermist and there is no smirking look, just smiling from your end. I have one shoulder mounted, another pedestal. No comparison. I stopped mounting stuff, but had to do the last BH.

The only thing cool about a Euro, or just the skull capped, is you get to hold the horns in your hands when you want. I can tell you, no matter how experienced a hunter is, there is nothing like holding a large ram in your hands. The weight is magical and cannot be explained.

OP
Felix40

Felix40

WKR
Well the waiting is killing me now. I started planning a scouting trip for the second week of june but theres just too much snow to get around very good. The FS told me there is at least two feet of snow still on the peaks. So the first scouting trip is pushed back to july
D23DBCD8-E4C2-4EC4-91EB-1E0BD8AFE719.jpeg

I got a letter from the WSF which got me even more excited. Im sure they send those to everyone in the country with sheep tags but its still cool.

So far there really arent any preparations I need to make specific for this hunt. I went and shot my rifle and its good to go as expected. I made my annual big order of mountain house meals so Ill be set for food through the season. All I need is for the snow to melt a little so I can go find some sheep!

Jhett_11

Lil-Rokslider
I have seriously gotten 15 yards from sheep on wheeler peak multiple times!! You're going to do great, good luck! I always go the horse shoe lake way never been on the taos ski valley trail, heard its a much easier hike...

You should have an epic hunt of a lifetime. savor it because sheep tags are few and you could spend the rest of your hunting days waiting for another one.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have seriously gotten 15 yards from sheep on wheeler peak multiple times!! You're going to do great, good luck! I always go the horse shoe lake way never been on the taos ski valley trail, heard its a much easier hike...

The taos ski valley trail isn’t bad you just walk up to Williams lake (I think that’s what it called) then the trail goes straight up. I think is shorter than going the back way.

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
I lived in NM for 5 yrs and every animal I took, including a Bighorn ewe and several African animals, went to Paul and Vince at Imperial Taxidermy in Sante Fe. There may be others out there as good as them but I’d bet good money nobody is better. Feel free to PM me and I can send pics of what they did for me.