NM Elk- Private land Tags

Daniel0307

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious if any of you have purchased private land tags from ranchers through the New Mexico Fish and Game website? I’ve heard tags start around $1500? I drew a nice N.M. tag in 2019 but it took several years.. don’t know if I want to wait that long again.. being an out of stater..

jspradley

WKR
I bought a unit wide cow elk tag a few years ago, I think it was around $500?

If you can find a bull tag for $1500 you better buy it, that's a steal!

Beendare

WKR
I bought a LO tag last year in probably the worst unit in NM....$2700 and there was a fair amount of hunter pressure.

Remember, even though you have the LO tag, you still have to buy the license.

The peripheral unit I wanted- couldn't get a tag....they were going for $4,500. I think the avg Gila tag is about $7-8k now...but saw some as high as $12k last year.

Prices have gone way up in the last 10 years....everybody wants to elk hunt

TBarron

WKR
Pay close attention to what management zone the tag is in. Primary, special, or secondary. If it’s secondary landowners are basically allowed to provide and sell an unlimited number of tags. I got ripped off this year on what I thought was a great unit 36 landowner tag....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
Call Keith Williams, Arizona pro outfitters. He's got a bunch of tags and is extremely knowledgeable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
Daniel0307

Daniel0307

Lil-Rokslider
Wow thanks for the info..
I bought a LO tag last year in probably the worst unit in NM....$2700 and there was a fair amount of hunter pressure.

Remember, even though you have the LO tag, you still have to buy the license.

The peripheral unit I wanted- couldn't get a tag....they were going for $4,500. I think the avg Gila tag is about $7-8k now...but saw some as high as $12k last year.

Prices have gone way up in the last 10 years....everybody wants to elk hunt

Unit 34 and 36 unit wide bull tags have been going for around $7,000 (do it yourself) plus the state license fee. Cow tags have been around $900 + license the last 2-3 years.

Guided bull hunts are around $12,000 and up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Wow thanks for the info..
No problem...but its not exactly secret info- grin.

We've seen tag prices skyrocket....much faster than inflation....and seen the competition for draw units go through the roof.

IMO, there are a couple things a guy can do to combat this scramble but one thing is to adjust your expectations, ie= kill any elk and be happy....let everyone else try to kill the biggest bull.

1) Pay to play....just pony up big $$ for private property or special access. The ugly side of this is I've got buddies that have spent $7,000. plus in new [to them] highly thought of areas and they came away very disappointed.

2) pick an OTC area and learn the heck out of it

I know guys that kill elk every year in the most pressured areas on the US. One could argue these guys are the real hunters.

They do this by simply knowing the unit well, the hunter pressure and using elk habits against them. I help a guide buddy with his rifle elk hunters some years.....and we kill bulls but talk to a bunch of other hunters in the units he guides that never see an elk.

If you read between the lines on that^...its a big clue
- grin. Best of luck.....

Brooks

WKR
You won’t touch a LO tag for $1500 in a good NM unit. Good LO unit wide vouchers start at around $6000 and go up. A good friend of mine has already taken deposits from 3 guys from Florida who bought them last year for $7250 each plus the non res elk license for $773.You will be going against guys with plenty of bank and they plan on spending big when it comes to elk hunting.

OP
Daniel0307

Daniel0307

Lil-Rokslider
You won’t touch a LO tag for $1500 in a good NM unit. Good LO unit wide vouchers start at around $6000 and go up. A good friend of mine has already taken deposits from 3 guys from Florida who bought them last year for $7250 each plus the non res elk license for $773.You will be going against guys with plenty of bank and they plan on spending big when it comes to elk hunting.
Sounds like the ranchers are not having a problem getting paid big $$$ for elk tags no matter what unit and I guess if I had endless funds I’d pay up to play the game every year.. I appreciate the responses from everyone, sounds like I’ll apply for the lottery and hunt my OTC unit if I don’t draw.. I’ve had good luck in my OTC unit 5 bulls in 10 years, 4 archery and 1 rifle.