NM Elk

jfive613

FNG
After 7 years of being a New Mexico resident and applying for elk, I finally drew my first choice. So I will be hunting second season archery in the unit I have most wanted in this state. I wasn't planning on doing a live hunt, but I believe I will have decent enough cell phone signal that I thought I'd give it a shot.

I've been up in the unit a good half dozen weekends so far this summer. I have deer hunted and hiked a large portion of the unit already in the past, so I had a good idea where I'd be hunting. I live a good three hours from where I plan on hunting and have 60 hour work weeks, so I've been happy to get my feet on the ground that much over the summer. It also doesn't hurt that my parents live about a half mile from where I plan on entering the wilderness, so I at least had a good excuse to get up there.

It's been an extraordinarily wet spring and summer here in New Mexico, so things have been way greener than normal. That weird spring we have had really got the grass growing early and that seems to have had a positive impact on antler growth. So needless to say I am pretty excited.

Tonight I'm organizing my gear and packing my pack. Then one last weekend with the wife and on Monday I will drive up to my parents and stay there before entering the woods early Tuesday for the opener. Bear still isn't closed in my unit, so I did pick up a tag. If a shot opp comes on a black bear I will probably take that as well.

People tend to like gear lists, but I'm too disorganized to have everything written down. I do have a system to the madness though. Anyways here are the highlights:

PSE Decree HD QAD rest, trophy ridge react site, no stab
Hunter XT 340's w/ QAD Exodus 125 Swepts

Mainly Core4 clothes, merino base layer, element jacket and pants, selway mid, mid mountain vest, first lite merino beanie, mechanix gloves.

Sightron SIII 10x42, still debating on my spotter but most likely will stay at home. Nikon tripod with bino attachment.

Sleeping system: Alps Mountaineering tent, therm-a-rest xlite large pad, hammock gear burrow 20 long and wide.

2014 exo 3500 ASAT

That's about it. I am on my phone now, but will try to throw some pictures up from my trail cams and scouting.

Also if there are any errors above, I apologize as I did type this all up on my phone.

Best of luck to everyone this fall.

Last edited:
OP
J

jfive613

FNG
74bf3990e6a4b2dcbd7f1af342a8015c.jpg

9534376e233da8ad62338bcc390a72e7.jpg

d2348a2728cb99fb65377438edbb798d.jpg

5a159029a77246f2d8729c77b32d0558.jpg

52bee8acab1e019f05b79e6172d90977.jpg

KHNC

WKR
Good luck ! Ill be there Wednesday myself! Finally too!

OP
J

jfive613

FNG
It's been a quiet day for the most part. A couple bulls bugling right at sun up. I managed to get in range of a 5x6, but whether it was adrenaline or low light, I missed a small branch in my shooting lane that deflected my arrow. That was at approximately 6:45. Haven't heard anything since about 7. Hoping they fire up before dark.

OP
J

jfive613

FNG
Got on a nice 6x right before dark. Ran out of light so I backed out hoping he won't go far. Just finished getting camp setup. The night is full of bugles. Hopefully tomorrow brings fortune.

KHNC

WKR
I hope you find him in good condition . Good luck this morning.

I think he meant that he missed the shot.

Good luck ! Im on the way to the airport in a few mins. Start my hunt in the Gila tomorrow morning.