NM Nonresident Antelope Dwindling Opportunities.

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
I am not a big antelope hunter. I put in for it every year primarily because I have already purchased a hunting license. This year, I noticed that the Nonresident opportunities to draw a tag are way down. It might have been that way for several years, but I didn’t notice it until now.

I knew that the state did divide several of the units into 2 units, north and south (GMU 31 for example). This was done to keep the total tags per unit below 15, as to not allow a NR tag to be allocated. bravo.

The NR outfitter tag numbers don’t appear to be down, at first glance, but I am not positive. I also don’t think that the statewide herd numbers are down either. I do believe that the states antelope population is near objective.

So I think that this is just pure politics. I do think that politicians should look out for their constituents but when you look at the numbers, it seems really excessive. I think nonresident hunters should take a hard look at numbers and sensibly evaluate their chances before applying. I won’t be applying for antelope this year. The odds are low enough to turn heads in Washington state and make California tag allocations appear generous.

This fight seems pretty dismal. It really seems like nonresident hunters are kicked in the mouth every time we turn around. I am by no means an accountant either, but with them holding onto NR tag money until the draw and with all the app fees, I bet the drop in revenue from the reduction in NR tags would not amount to much. What would amount to something is if we out of staters spend our money elsewhere.

NM is a beautiful state, but if they don’t want me to hunt there state then I think it is safe to say that they don’t need my tourism either. I am going to vacation elsewhere but I will write their bleeding heart governor a letter explaining why I won’t be visiting her state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jethro

WKR
If total quota is down, the outfitter pool has to be down. Its a percentage.

15 total quota would have 13 resident, 1 NR, 1 outfitter tag.

flathead#2

Lil-Rokslider
NM is not friendly to non resident hunters, esp. as tag allocations go.
I dont even bother with antelope anymore.
I'm just doing Coues and maybe Elk this year.
And I"m waiting as long as possible to enter the draw.

OP
E

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
NM is not friendly to non resident hunters, esp. as tag allocations go.
I dont even bother with antelope anymore.
I'm just doing Coues and maybe Elk this year.
And I"m waiting as long as possible to enter the draw.

Yeah you are right. I don’t remember it being this bad though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
NM is good to nonres hunters but horrible to nonres public hunters. It's pretty sad when tags are set aside for those with deep pockets that can purchase landowner tags each and every year. If that's not enough, outfitters have their own set aside tags for nonres in the public draw. Public nonres hunters are pretty much screwed!

Hopefully this same thing doesn't happen to states like Wyo that are relatively nonres friendly equally for ALL hunters regardless of how deep their pockets are!

Syncerus1

FNG
Many of you are probably too young to remember when NM had Bonus points. A sorry scam that was. I think they enticed hunters to buy bonus points for 5-6 years then ... poof! Cancelled the entire program. Dirty business, they never got another dollar from a bunch of us.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
@Jimss, pretty accurate statement. Only person who I knew ever hunted antelope in NM is someone who bought a landowner voucher.

Before the change, 3-4 years back maybe..... when you drew an antelope tag, you were assigned a designated ranch to hunt. Since that change, most of the hunts have been adjusted to prevent a NR from drawing. Whether on purpose or not....

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
Slim chance is better than no chance. If you do not enter you know your odds. It is zero. I bet random odds in other states could be better. Best plan is to fork out the money and buy land owner tag. I prefer to hunt on my own vs guided hunt.
I think the total cost if not drawn is $82.00 for antelope.

Mojave

WKR
This is not exactly true "outfitters have their own set aside tags for nonres in the public draw."

Those employing an outfitter get a larger percentage of the tags. The only guaranteed tags are going through an landowner to secure one.

As a resident, I appreciate that I can buy tags from land owners, many other residents do it as well. Cost is also generally the same $2000 for an antelope that guides get.

I have been hunting New Mexico since 1991. I have never seen a points program. I am not familiar with what you are talking about.

Syncerus1

FNG
Back in the day, NM used to send out a yellow postcard with your point total after the draw for use in the next years draw. I believe it was scrapped in late 80's, early 90's... I had max points around 5-6 when they ended it. Those were the days...

RunNGunSC

FNG
Unguided NR odds are horrible for most species despite good populations. The guided pool and generous landowner hunting privileges are mostly to blame. I’m fine with regular residents getting preference. The hunt structure also seems intentionally designed to reduce unguided NR tags. I wonder what the actual allocation of tags is for pronghorn. I assume it is well under the 6% threshold. Everyone needs to decide if a bad raffle is worth the money.

Brooks

WKR
NM has some great Antelope and the tags sell out every year and all the tourists towns in the state are jam packed with tourists every weekend and all summer. There are guys standing in line to take your place in the Antelope draw and no parking available in town anymore.

Mojave

WKR
flathead#2 How do you expect to get a Wyoming tag? Do you have points?

NM's guided draw is 10%, that is only 4% more (6%) than the non-guided non-resident draw. Anyone can apply for the guided draw, both residents and non-residents.

I do not have any idea why a resident would do that.

So that is a 16% total non-resident pool in New Mexico.

Non-Resident pools range from 35% in Colorado to 10% in Utah, and kind of hover around 20% most places.

Jimss

WKR
Majave, How many landowner guarantee tags are issued in NM each year? You haven't factored those into the equation. Guided hunters with deep pockets have a great deal going in NM!

They can apply in the outfitter draw and can purchase landowner tags each and every year they don't draw. Seems like the public nonres and even public NM residents are screwed over by the public outfitter tags plus guaranteed landowner tags issued. Why should both be offered? If I was a NM resident I would be complaining. There is no doubt about it, NM's program is set up to benefit deep pocketed guided hunters.

Mojave

WKR
Majave, How many landowner guarantee tags are issued in NM each year? You haven't factored those into the equation. Guided hunters with deep pockets have a great deal going in NM!

They can apply in the outfitter draw and can purchase landowner tags each and every year they don't draw. Seems like the public nonres and even public NM residents are screwed over by the public outfitter tags plus guaranteed landowner tags issued. Why should both be offered? If I was a NM resident I would be complaining. There is no doubt about it, NM's program is set up to benefit deep pocketed guided hunters.
Yeah, I don't care. If I don't draw a tag I can buy one. Not many places like that.

Here is the real issue.

Most of the landowner tags are not unit wide. So how does that tag benefit me? If I can get a landowner tag I now have access to lands that the guy that drew a tag did not. Giving me a better hunting experience.

I can also buy tags from the Indians in Ruidoso and NE.

Have you ever deer hunted 34 during the archery or rifle seasons? It is what your version of a OTC hunt would look like in New Mexico.

No one hunts barbery sheep. They are all over the state, very few people hunt them because of how they taste and the meat must be salvaged. You want to hunt in New Mexico every year chase barbs.