No elk recovery, blame the broadhead?

Bump79

WKR
I suppose if you disregard the thousands of years of effective stone point use....
We can go back to stone wheels as well while we're at it.
Accuracy is the other reason I shoot small 2b. My experience has been that smaller 2-blade heads group better than 3/4b or larger heads
I would agree with this statement outside of that the 7/8" Magnus Killer Bee is a longer head that still has a decent amount of surface area. I've looked at small cut compact 2b as a consideration for long follow up shots.

While I haven't shot this head, I've shot dozens and dozens of different heads and can predict based on design how forgiving it would be. I don't see any way that it would fly better than a Magnus Black Hornet and very low likelihood it would fly better than saw an Iron Will, Day Six or Valkyrie. Or dozens of other good fixed blades I can list.

I also hunt public land nearly exclusively in Montana and in Kentucky now. My opportunities are limited as well and I won't shoot a broadhead unless it's extremely forgiving. I'd stack a
think penetration is sometimes underrated, a larger cutting head isn't doing as much damage if it doesn't penetrate. More penetration=longer wound channel=more cut area
My point is that a pass through is a pass through. If the average shooter can push Day Six X with 3/4" bleeders or even a much more dull G5 Montec through with significant consistency then your math doesn't apply. They both passed through so distance is equal and the 2b caused less damage. My primary point is that it's not just about damage, it's about what you touch. I can't be the only person that has recovered an animal and been like dang.. I'm lucky that panned out I barely clipped lung. Or been on dozens of crap blood trails.

Both owner of Day Six and Iron Will advocate for the bleeders. Iron Will Bill has demonstrated through testing that the bleeder requires extremely low force. There's a reason barely anyone sells that small of a head. My point is that while the 7/8" 2b will work - there will be a day that you'll wish you had more cut. Meanwhile, I highly doubt I'll ever lose an animal I killed due to lack of penetration. As I said before, if it happens it's probably because I hit knuckle or something neither of us would get through. In which case the animal will most likely live on.

Last edited:
Reactions: CMF

Scoot

WKR
Believe what you want. It’s human nature to attack someone when they are in a vulnerable state and that is what will happen each and every time. Most on here have been in a similar situation and kept their mouths shut. However they are more than willing to pick up a stone.
I understand what you're saying and I see some of it in this thread. However, I stand 100% behind what I've said in this thread. The OP shouldn't run and hide from this thread IMO. He started it and supposedly was looking for input and an opportunity to learn. If he simply ignores the feedback and has thin skin, he won't learn shit. He took a very long shot and insinuated that it was the fault of the broadhead. He's not going to learn anything from that if he ignores the good advice he got in this thread (but I also understand what you're saying and not all responses are helpful and it's tough to sift through what is informed/helpful vs. attacking/asshattery).

...and... the OP started this thread. If he doesn't have thick skin, it was a mistake to start it. It's the internet- of course random internet experts who are protected by distance and anonymity are going to take pot shots in a thread like this- that's just how the internet works. If you can't handle that, don't start a thread like this.

Zac, I understand your point and I agree that some of the responses would be best handled like you suggested. I'd argue that some of the responses should also be read carefully and thought about even more carefully or the OP won't learn a thing from this deal.

Zac

WKR
I understand what you're saying and I see some of it in this thread. However, I stand 100% behind what I've said in this thread. The OP shouldn't run and hide from this thread IMO. He started it and supposedly was looking for input and an opportunity to learn. If he simply ignores the feedback and has thin skin, he won't learn shit. He took a very long shot and insinuated that it was the fault of the broadhead. He's not going to learn anything from that if he ignores the good advice he got in this thread (but I also understand what you're saying and not all responses are helpful and it's tough to sift through what is informed/helpful vs. attacking/asshattery).

...and... the OP started this thread. If he doesn't have thick skin, it was a mistake to start it. It's the internet- of course random internet experts who are protected by distance and anonymity are going to take pot shots in a thread like this- that's just how the internet works. If you can't handle that, don't start a thread like this.

Zac, I understand your point and I agree that some of the responses would be best handled like you suggested. I'd argue that some of the responses should also be read carefully and thought about even more carefully or the OP won't learn a thing from this deal.
People that post these things aren’t always in the clearest state of mind to do so. Usually they are not emotionally ready to do so either. It’s obvious especially when something as preposterous as blaming a high quality fixed blade is concerned. However this is how grief works. The answers for the OP will become very obvious in due time. Already have I’m sure, due to his obvious absence in this thread. So go ahead and keep offering your advice, he will not see any of it. Hopefully he’s moved on, the rest of you should do the same.

Scoot

WKR
Hopefully he’s moved on, the rest of you should do the same.
He came here and asked for input. He got it, but some of it would require thick skin to hear well. I agree that hopefully he's moved on, but I hope he's done so with more info, some of which came in this thread. He asked for it, he got it. It's not just time that improves decision making, it's learning. He's got a nice opportunity from this thread to learn from people who clearly have a lot more experience than him, it'll just take a little tolerance to do so.

...and he may not be posting, but I'd bet a beer he's still reading. That being said, I'm happy to move on. There's a ton of wisdom in here though and people could learn a lot in this thread...

Zac

WKR
He came here and asked for input. He got it, but some of it would require thick skin to hear well. I agree that hopefully he's moved on, but I hope he's done so with more info, some of which came in this thread. He asked for it, he got it. It's not just time that improves decision making, it's learning. He's got a nice opportunity from this thread to learn from people who clearly have a lot more experience than him, it'll just take a little tolerance to do so.

...and he may not be posting, but I'd bet a beer he's still reading. That being said, I'm happy to move on. There's a ton of wisdom in here though and people could learn a lot in this thread...
The OP is long gone because he doesn’t value any of the opinions expressed here. He came here out of guilt, and to confess his sins. If you want to keep up the echo chamber then go ahead. You can try to summarize all the great wisdom in this thread if you like. I’d be surprised if you could come up with anything of value at all, that isn’t plain common sense.

Scoot

WKR
The OP is long gone because he doesn’t value any of the opinions expressed here. He came here out of guilt, and to confess his sins. If you want to keep up the echo chamber then go ahead. You can try to summarize all the great wisdom in this thread if you like. I’d be surprised if you could come up with anything of value at all, that isn’t plain common sense.
Sounds like you pretty well have things figured out. Thanks for your contributions.