No Orange for Colorado Archery Hunters

Seems like CBA played a big role in this?

Not many organizations actually get stuff done these days, if they did, I'd like to donate.
The CBA also played the biggest role in losing the best part of the archery deer hunt and losing part of archery season.

They also used pics of big game animals from other states for their pics on their website. Really reminded me of fake advertising.

One step closer to crossbows being legal during archery. (n)
Unless I'm missing something, more let off isn't a problem right? This seems like old school thinking like guys who opposed range finders in the 90s, and states that oppose suppressors today. Am I missing something, is 80% let off a problem?

EDIT: I quoted the wrong person and can't fix it...meant to quote someone commenting on 80% letoff in CO.

Last edited:
Crossbows would not be good.
No clue about other states, but crossbow is legal in Wyoming during archery season. Again, unless I'm mistaken a crossbow has about the same (maybe slightly higher) KE than a compound bow. I could very well be missing why this is a problem, but I don't really care if a few guys want to carry a crossbow during archery. I prefer my bow still.

Also, the 80% letoff rule was eliminated , making about half the bowhunters in CO legal again..[/QUOTE]

XD good way to put it..I remember being 17 (half a lifetime ago) and buying a new Martin Jaguar off eBay for a couple hundred only to find it was 5% let off over the acceptable 65%, the archery shop owner convinced me to swap out the cams for an additional $150. Minimum wage was $7 something at the time...ridiculous.

Eliminating the 80% letoff is kind of a double edge issue to me.

On one hand, I've never been asked what my letoff % was and I'm not sure how an officer would check it or know either way. In this way, it seems to eliminate a regulation that's difficult and unlikely to be enforced.

On the other, I agree with the idea that it's a slippery slope to allowing 100% letoff and legalizing crossbows or draw-lock devices. Both of which I am wholeheartedly opposed to.

Again, unless I'm mistaken a crossbow has about the same (maybe slightly higher) KE than a compound bow. I could very well be missing why this is a problem, but I don't really care if a few guys want to carry a crossbow during archery. I prefer my bow still.
You are mistaken. I'm not a crossbow guy, but a quick Internet search indicates that an average modern crossbow has at least 50% more KE than an average modern compound bow, and the fastest crossbows are nearly doubling typical compound bow KE values. That extra energy significantly increases the effective range of the weapon. Also, eliminating the burden of drawing (and staying at full draw) in the moment of truth is arguably as much or more of an advantage as increased effective range. Crossbows are a completely different class of weapon than vertical bows and don't belong in the same hunting season.

Last edited:
You are mistaken. I'm not a crossbow guy, but a quick Internet search indicates that an average modern crossbow has at least 50% more KE than an average modern compound bow, and the fastest crossbows are nearly doubling typical compound bow KE values. That extra energy significantly increases the effective range of the weapon. Also, eliminating the burden of drawing (and staying at full draw) in the moment of truth is arguably as much or more of an advantage as increased effective range. Crossbows are a completely different class of weapon than vertical bows and don't belong in the same hunting season.
Every state is probably different circumstances, but in Wyoming crossbow is legal for archery season. I've never seen anyone carrying one, and the only two people I know who have used them had upper body injuries shortly before the season. I totally get the argument and mostly agree with you, but it was really nice that these two avid archery hunters got to enjoy the season when they otherwise would have missed it. But, it totally understand what you're saying.

Eliminating the 80% letoff is kind of a double edge issue to me.

On one hand, I've never been asked what my letoff % was and I'm not sure how an officer would check it or know either way. In this way, it seems to eliminate a regulation that's difficult and unlikely to be enforced.

On the other, I agree with the idea that it's a slippery slope to allowing 100% letoff and legalizing crossbows or draw-lock devices. Both of which I am wholeheartedly opposed to.
thanks for the response, that makes sense. I am on the fence regarding crossbows for the reason stated above. In some states that are over-crowded I can see the problem. In others where pressure isn't so great, it might make sense.