NON-Chinese 8x42’s

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
Get Maven B series, Japanese glass assembled in USA. Excellent company. I have B3s in 8x. the B1.2 8x42 and B2 9x45 are other great options.

For that much money I’d stick with Swaros. The leupold is looking like a good option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SIR_34:16

FNG
Do you have experience with the leupolds?

I have both the Leupolds and Tract, both are 8x42. To my eyes they are pretty close optically. The Leupolds are more comfortable to handhold with an open bridge. The Tracts sit better on a tripod. The Leupolds are lighter and would be better for smaller hands. The Tracts feel larger and more solid. I use the Tracts for hunting and the Leupolds for "kitchen binos". That's not to say they aren't good for hunting. It's just only one can ride in the chest harness, and I picked the Tracts for that for various reasons. I think your kid would be very happy with the Leupolds.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
I have both the Leupolds and Tract, both are 8x42. To my eyes they are pretty close optically. The Leupolds are more comfortable to handhold with an open bridge. The Tracts sit better on a tripod. The Leupolds are lighter and would be better for smaller hands. The Tracts feel larger and more solid. I use the Tracts for hunting and the Leupolds for "kitchen binos". That's not to say they aren't good for hunting. It's just only one can ride in the chest harness, and I picked the Tracts for that for various reasons. I think your kid would be very happy with the Leupolds.

Great info, thanks

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll place another vote for the Maven’s. I have the B series in 9 power and bought the C’s for my wife and kids. Along with putting one of there scopes on a rifle. They’re really great optics for the money.

Most everything you buy is going to have some kind of component made or assembled from overseas, it’s the world we live in.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
I’ll place another vote for the Maven’s. I have the B series in 9 power and bought the C’s for my wife and kids. Along with putting one of there scopes on a rifle. They’re really great optics for the money.

Most everything you buy is going to have some kind of component made or assembled from overseas, it’s the world we live in.

I’m good with overseas, just trying to avoid commies, specifically after the balloon invasion. If some of these companies can make stuff in Japan and the Philippines for the price of competitors making stuff in China I’m going with the free countries.

LostArra

WKR
Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 would be a great option (Philippines)
I've purchased these for all my daughters. Even a bird watching son in-law loves them and those birders are nutty about glass.
Solid construction (grandkids use them). Comfortable eye relief/exit pupil, no blackouts. It's amazing to me that this build is sold for under $200.

I've used these for deer and elk hunting for many years especially in a treestand with a Rick Young harness.
I still break out the Swaros on some elk hunts but I've never felt limited by using the Sightrons.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 would be a great option (Philippines)
I've purchased these for all my daughters. Even a bird watching son in-law loves them and those birders are nutty about glass.
Solid construction (grandkids use them). Comfortable eye relief/exit pupil, no blackouts. It's amazing to me that this build is sold for under $200.

I've used these for deer and elk hunting for many years especially in a treestand with a Rick Young harness.
I still break out the Swaros on some elk hunts but I've never felt limited by using the Sightrons.

Thanks I’ll take a look

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR

I found this on Mavens website
b8bc0b64c0c6408ba458714f12155bb6.jpg

grfox92

WKR
There is nothing close to the optical clarity of Maven C Series in the $500 range. All of your kitchen appliances, electronics in your car and more then likely the clothes you are wearing are partly or completely from China, better stop cooking, driving and getting dressed in the morning too.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
There is nothing close to the optical clarity of Maven C Series in the $500 range. All of your kitchen appliances, electronics in your car and more then likely the clothes you are wearing are partly or completely from China, better stop cooking, driving and getting dressed in the morning too.

There you go, I’m surprised it took this long for a comment like this. We need to start somewhere, I’m trying to not to support communism, I understand it’s impossible to completely avoid Chinese products but binoculars are one where you can. If you stop being lazy and start looking around you can do the same with a lot of stuff.

JGTWI

WKR
C doesn't stand for China, it stands for Compact.

The C series is made in the Phillipines

View attachment 545231

Although I’m sure you’re right, the ‘C is for China’ response literally made me laugh out loud :).

grfox92

WKR
There you go, I’m surprised it took this long for a comment like this. We need to start somewhere, I’m trying to not to support communism, I understand it’s impossible to completely avoid Chinese products but binoculars are one where you can. If you stop being lazy and start looking around you can do the same with a lot of stuff.
I do the same with a lot of stuff. We are on the same team, sorry if my comment came of as me being a smart-ass, I have that problem sometimes.

Maven is a US company based out of Wyoming, providing quality optics at a fraction of the cost of the other optics manufacturers.

They serve the US, have a phenomenal warranty, and employ Americans in Wyoming. They source a few parts for the C Series out of China, they are sub $500 binoculars that have optical quality if everyone else's $800-$1000 dollar binoculars and will hold their value for re sale better then any Leupold, Tract or Athlon. Unfortunately to keep them at their price point, those parts need to come from China.

I'm as pro America as they get, but we have to be realistic and pick and choose our battles.

Edit, I respect your decision, I used to be as picky with woke lefty companies and China but it became virtually impossible to sift through all the weeds. Now I just do my best to buy American when possible.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
I do the same with a lot of stuff. We are on the same team, sorry if my comment came of as me being a smart-ass, I have that problem sometimes.

Maven is a US company based out of Wyoming, providing quality optics at a fraction of the cost of the other optics manufacturers.

They serve the US, have a phenomenal warranty, and employ Americans in Wyoming. They source a few parts for the C Series out of China, they are sub $500 binoculars that have optical quality if everyone else's $800-$1000 dollar binoculars and will hold their value for re sale better then any Leupold, Tract or Athlon. Unfortunately to keep them at their price point, those parts need to come from China.

I'm as pro America as they get, but we have to be realistic and pick and choose our battles.

Edit, I respect your decision, I used to be as picky with woke lefty companies and China but it became virtually impossible to sift through all the weeds. Now I just do my best to buy American when possible.

I am by no means buying only American or believe I can avoid China. The binoculars are easy, there are comparable option without parts from China. I personally like Swaros and will stick with them. If the Mavens are a little better than leupold, my 8 year old isn’t going to notice, I’d rather purchase binoculars with parts from free countries from another US based company.

There are a lot more options now. I really wanted to buy a set of the new Kuiu brush pants but no doubt they are Chinese too. I gladly spent an extra $40 and ordered a set of the new Final Rise pants.

It’s not easy to avoid all Chinese products but it’s easy to avoid some of them and the effort is worth it.