Non-custom insole recommendations

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
Any recommendations for a good set of over the counter cushioning insoles? I have been getting differing levels of heel pain with a couple different pairs of boots and i have noticed that the harder the boot heel the more pain so i am thinking of adding a cushioned insole to them. I am not looking for any custom orthotics that will need to be moved from shoe to shoe.

In additional i am going to focus on reducing heel strike to see if that helps too.

Thanks
Joe

mlgc20

WKR
Superfeet Blues are my favorite. But, they don’t have much in terms of cushioning. Power step makes some insoles that are basically a memory foam mattress turned into insoles. I like them as well, but they take up a lot of volume in your shoes. A good compromise is the gel inserts by Sof Sole. I like the 3/4 length version. I run all three of these insoles. It just depends on the particular shoe/boot and what combo works best.

archp625

WKR
Maybe try Sole insoles. They have you put them in the oven then put them in your boots and tie them tight. They form around your food. They are cork so they have good cushion.

Oboz O Fit Plus. Good cushioning without a ton of volume. Took my hard heeled hiking boots from good to great.

fishslap

WKR
Sof sole athlete. I think you can get them for under $20 so worth a try. I’ve put lots of miles on them in various boots and running shoes. I took my lathrop & sons out and put my sof soles back in my hunting boots. You can also try dr scholls heel cushion and put it under the insole for more cushion and heel lift. Also cheap to try. Could try both together. I noticed more heel pain though with the heel lift so could be different from person to person.

Zappaman

WKR
Maybe try Sole insoles. They have you put them in the oven then put them in your boots and tie them tight. They form around your food. They are cork so they have good cushion.
First post... and just reconditioned my Meindl boots which have always been too loose with summer socks. Gonna try these! Thanks!

wyodan

WKR
DFP and Cadence have both been very good for me, and are less expensive than some of the other footbeds.

OP
Crotalus

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all, will definitely try a few of these out.

Zappaman

WKR
Welp... I found a pair of the thicker cork Sole insoles for $38 shipped. Called the "Casual Thick Shoe Insole" they are described as an insole for "loose fitting shoes and boots".

They have a leather top and cork underneath and claim they can be molded. My Mendil boots are a 1/2 size too small and I've been stacking pairs of inserts in them but they never felt great- just good enough for flat land Kansas hunting. So hoping for an improvement. Thanks archp (y)

dtrkyman

WKR
I have tried a few including super feet and none have been as good as the stock insoles when they were new. Fit is just never right for me.

Zappaman

WKR
Welp... I found a pair of the thicker cork Sole insoles for $38 shipped. Called the "Casual Thick Shoe Insole" they are described as an insole for "loose fitting shoes and boots".

They have a leather top and cork underneath and claim they can be molded. My Mendil boots are a 1/2 size too small and I've been stacking pairs of inserts in them but they never felt great- just good enough for flat land Kansas hunting. So hoping for an improvement. Thanks archp (y)
And yesterday... I "cooked" my Sole inserts and put them into my Mendils- they REALLY do work well for that loose boot. Very happy!

I also bought a few pair of Superfeet Greens for my Alico Tahoe hikers and an older pair of Danners. The Tahoes greatly benefited from that upgrade while the Danner's already have a pretty good factory insert. So I have a spare pare for later.

I have hiked so many 100 lb. plus packs out on steep elk hunts for the last 25 years and I can't believe what I had on my feet for many of those hikes (especially back in the earlier years when I was using western boots- which worked fine on my 30 yr old foot back then.) ;)

BFazz

FNG
I’d be interested in giving the Sole inserts a try for a more custom fit. I’m running superfeet green now and they’re alright but I’ve started getting sharp arch pains after a few miles of uphilling. Never had any foot issues before, I think I need something with more arch support or a deeper heel pocket