Non hunting brand clothing recommendations

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking for insulating layers, I figure these don’t need to be camo and non camo may be cheaper. Anyone have any experience with duckworth? They aren’t much cheaper then the major hunting brands but I have seen decent reviews. Any other recommendations on non camo clothing? Does not have to be insulting layers.

Just looking for good value but still quality, maybe I’m crazy to think I can get it much cheaper for quality by ditching the camo patterns of the big brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best deal on non camo is the military surplus stuff. Lots of good stuff out there.

If you are LEO, medical, or another qualifying occupation, create an account with ID.me and you can get some sweet discounts. You can get a 50% discount once a year at Outdoor Research. You can also check out thrift stores and FB Marketplace for wool and other used gear.

Hoodie

WKR
I like Outdoor Research, Arcteryx, and Mountain Hardwear.

I only wear solids for hunting (bow or rifle) so the only hunting brand clothing I have is First Lite merino base layers. The only reason I have those is because they're cheaper than non-hunting brand merino with the veteran discount.

You can save a ton of money and get clothing that is just as good, if not better in some cases, by using mountaineering brands.

OP
S

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
I like Outdoor Research, Arcteryx, and Mountain Hardwear.

I only wear solids for hunting (bow or rifle) so the only hunting brand clothing I have is First Lite merino base layers. The only reason I have those is because they're cheaper than non-hunting brand merino with the veteran discount.

You can save a ton of money and get clothing that is just as good, if not better in some cases, by using mountaineering brands.

I am a veteran so that helps with discounts, any specific prices you recommend?

Hoodie

WKR
OR's 3 layer AscentShell membrane is good rain gear. I haven't tried Arcteryx's hard shells but everyone seems to say they're the best.

If you're into synthetic insulation and/or are hunting in cold enough weather to warrant active insulation the Black Diamond First Light hoody is awesome. Quiet as well.

I'm a fan of Mountain Hardwear's stretch down jackets. They aren't as warm as an 850 fill Feathered Friend's jacket, but in the PNW it generally doesn't get too cold.

zielkeda

FNG
I wear Eddie Bauer Downlight hooded Down jacket (regular 40%-50% off sales) under a Columbia ascender hooded soft shell. Good color choices, Durable. Regular price $80. I got it on sale for $50. North face gore Tex raincoat when needed. Eddie Bauer guide pro pants (same sales a number of times per year) that I can layer beneath. I can even fit Under armor alpine ops down pants beneath if needed.

OR's 3 layer AscentShell membrane is good rain gear. I haven't tried Arcteryx's hard shells but everyone seems to say they're the best.

If you're into synthetic insulation and/or are hunting in cold enough weather to warrant active insulation the Black Diamond First Light hoody is awesome. Quiet as well.

I'm a fan of Mountain Hardwear's stretch down jackets. They aren't as warm as an 850 fill Feathered Friend's jacket, but in the PNW it generally doesn't get too cold.
FF makes awesome gear, in the States as well!

Poser

WKR
I use a lot of OR gear and like all of it quite a bit.

The BD Stormlime shell is probably the best bang for your buck lightweight rain shell on the market. 11 oz. Toray fabric, 2 way stretch. $150 msrp, can often be found on sale for around $100.

For OP as I’m sure you realize this(and maybe OP does too) -

this “new wave” of hunting clothing with synthetic fabrics/merino wool/etc was born from copying what mountaineers have been using for years, putting a camo pattern on it and hiking the prices up because it’s now a “hunting” garment. In most cases you can find similar clothing pieces in earthy colors for less money.

I am a veteran so that helps with discounts, any specific prices you recommend?

If you're a vet you may be able to get a 50%
For OP as I’m sure you realize this(and maybe OP does too) -

this “new wave” of hunting clothing with synthetic fabrics/merino wool/etc was born from copying what mountaineers have been using for years, putting a camo pattern on it and hiking the prices up because it’s now a “hunting” garment. In most cases you can find similar clothing pieces in earthy colors for less money.
Non hunting brands often only profit from the people who enjoy the great outdoors, and they do not donate to conservation at all, let alone have the 11% tax attached to their goods as a result of the Pittman Robertson Act.

Poser

WKR
If you're a vet you may be able to get a 50%

Non hunting brands often only profit from the people who enjoy the great outdoors, and they do not donate to conservation at all, let alone have the 11% tax attached to their goods as a result of the Pittman Robertson Act.

To my knowledge, no hunting apparel brand is subject to the Pitman-Robertson taxation.

I like truwerk clothes. They are designed for working in the trades but the t2 pants are super tough and not crazy expensive. Only complaint is that they are a little loud. The sun hoody and the fleece hoody are great pieces as well.

OP
S

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
These all look like great recommendations, I have been checking them out and put a few on the wish list for sure! Thanks for the recommendations!

What insulating layers and other pieces in particular are you looking for?

Duckworth -- I have tried their Powder Sweatshirt, Button Down Wool Shirt, and Vapor Tee.

The sweatshirt is too heavy/hot for on the move, and wind cuts right through it when stationary. I take it to camp as my beater sweatshirt since wool is flame retardant. I absolutely hate the hood, it is way too tight and feels like it's compressing your neck. It makes my head hurt after a while. The overwhelming positive reviews on this piece baffle me, as an outdoorsman and hunter I think it's absolutely worthless in my kit. Fiancé however loves hers for around town.

Vapor tee is very good but less wool than synthetic.

If you want wool: WeatherWool, Micklagaard, Woolly, etc.

If you want other materials: Feathered Friends, Filson (Ultralight Vest/Jack), EdgeVale USA, 1620 Work Wear, etc. just to name a few that haven't been listed.