Non-magnum choices for big bucks

rumrzr

FNG
I only hunt with the magnums. I want to know when the big one shows up that I can bust him down at any range that I am comfortable with. I dont think smaller calibers at long range range have the punch needed to break both shoulders.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Can't argue with that logic Matt and is why I'm still shooting a magnum.

I created this post, though, because things have changed quite a bit in last 10 years with rangefinders and adjustable turrets. For me, I was shooting a magnum partly or mostly for the flatter trajectory. With the new gear, trajectory isn't as important as once was, if you can range and dial in accordingly.

Even the non-mags have the energy to kill bucks at extended yardages- like 4-600 yards- with good shot placement. Many of the non mags I've been around are more accurate all things being equal and easier to shoot than unbraked magnums (I don't like muzzle breaks).

However, I like you, am still shooting a magnum and will continue to do so I'm sure.

rumrzr

FNG
I agree things have changed and my trusty 25-06 is more than capable of taking deer at extended ranges. Just to bad my daughter won't let me shoot it.

Rizzy

WKR
I use a 270 and a 243, no need for anything bigger so far. I've taken deer, elk, and black bear with the 270 with no issues. I am real comfortable with my 270 and can shoot it well, I think that's actually what kills more animals. Those Barnes TTSX bullets are sweet, a game changer for sure.

DL that 270 has always been my good luck gun and since my younger cousin will be hunting with me this year on his first backpack hunt im gonna let him shoot my 7mm RUM. and im gonna use the 270 so hopefully the good luck gun will treat me good this year. and with the deer herd in the shape that its in im gonna need some of that luck to find a shooter!