Noob Sitka dilemma

crich

WKR
Question for you seasoned folks with more experience than me. I'm building a mid september clothing list and I'm torn between 2 combos... Jetstream jacket/kelvin lt vest or doing a kelvin active jacket/jetstream vest. I've read reviews on this stuff till I'm blue in the face (still am). I'm not able to see this stuff in person and would like some advice on what combo would make more sense chasing elk at 10k ft in CO. Mainly looking for versatility as I heat up and cool off quick! I realize the kelvin will need something like a mountain jacket over top. Thanks a lot!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

semperfidelis97

Lil-Rokslider
I would go jetstream/Kelvin lite. I usually run the 90%, and the Kelvin lite for cold mornings. I just acquired the jetstream this summer, so it has only been backpacking it seems to be a solid piece.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
I love vests for running around town in the winter but find them near worthless hunting spot and stalk in the west. If I am moving I am fine down to around 20F. If I will be glassing for a long time the vest is not going to be close to keeping me warm. I love softshells for day hunt situations but would never take one into the backcountry again. Too much weight for not much warmth. I personally would replace your choices with something like a Kuiu Super Down or FL Uncompaghre and a hard shell like the FL stormlite.

Kotaman

WKR
Kelvin Active for a cold weather mid layer with a tee. Kelvin Lite or Kelvin WS when you stop to glass. These two will cover you in any late season condition. If it’s not that cold replace the Active with the Apex.

Tick

WKR
Clothing and gear are so subjective to personal preference. With a base layer, either of those options will keep you more than comfortable for most forecasts in September.

For me, most of the time I don't pack a Jetstream in September just because I am not as worried about days of bone chilling winds. The wind stopper is why I wear a Jetstream. A light puffy vest and puffy jacket combined weigh less and pack better than the Jetstream. Usually only need the puffy jacket sitting around after dark in September. I always have an outer rain shell that will work for a cold wind if I have to put it on.

My go to combo for Oct/Nov when the cold winds are becoming more common is a Jetstream jacket and kelvin vest. I don't mind the extra ounces because it is just comfortable and works for me down to some low temps with base layers. Checking the forecast can definitely change my plans.

OP
crich

crich

WKR
I appreciate the feedback. It's a pain to invest in items your not 100% sure will work out. Time will tell. The 1 Oct rifle hunt I have under my belt taught me a ton. I'm somewhat concerned about weight but mainly want items that can serve more than one purpose. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

There is a lot that the combination of a kelvin lite and a timberline jacket will get you through.
You can wear the timberline over the KL for warmth. Or wear the timberline UNDER the KL to dry out a soaked base layer super quick.

I love the jetstream but its too hot and bulky for september.

Sitka really hamstrung the versatility of their new kelvin with windstopper, I would much rather have two separate pieces that I can reposition rather than being stuck with one piece. Putting the WS as close to your baselayer as you can with a puffy over it really does work wonders.