North dakota mule deer condition

KurtR

WKR
Both dakotas manage on an opportunity basis they dont care about trophy deer at all. Neither will change anything substantial as William stated stubborn people who are set in their ways. Most are not worried about killing a big deer they just want to shoot a deer.

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
So if Colorado had 1 rifle season instead of 4, the pressure during the one season would be the same as 4 seasons? Gotcha.
We're not on the same page so it doesn't pay to argue with you. I don't think splitting up to multiple seasons is going to help. That's just my opinion. I'd rather see less tags rifle tags, along with archery tags split for muleys or whitetails.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
I apply in a lot of states and think ND is way behind the times. Kinda like MT. If it was up to me I would do something like this.

Resident.

Option 1.
You can get an archery tag every year as long as it is your first choice in the draw. (I believe Idaho does this) It would decrease archers and increase rifle odds. If there was less pressure during archery it would push less deer to private and be a lot better experience. And for rifle hunters since you would draw more often maybe they would hold off shooting younger bucks since you know you are hunting sooner.

Option 2.
Residents pick either mule deer or whitetail for archery. It would be less crowded and might save a few mule deer.

Rifle stuff.
I would also make a few deer rifle seasons. Have the majority of the tags in October. Kinda like how Colorado has multiple seasons. Make them shorter seasons. It would lessen pressure and maybe lessen the overall kill percentage since a majority of the tags would be during October.

I would make a few tags good for both whitetails or muleys. Spread applicants out and it wouldn't hurt the mule deer population if you took those tags from the mule deer quota.

Those are a few of the ideas I have thought would help make a more quality hunt.

When it comes to non res tags, they should give them 10%-20% of what residents get. Thats hard to do archery wise since archery is OTC for residents.
Some decent ideas on season structure. IMO make any tag that is currently a Antlered Mule Deer tag into an Any Buck tag like tags are in non-traditional Mule deer areas. Keep the Antlered Whitetail tags. This may also curb some of the "gotta shoot any Muley buck I see because I'm leaving tomorrow" mentality.

IMO zero reason to have a Antlered Mule Deer only tag unless they cut them in 1/2. Or at minimum make it for either species. No way zones like 3B1 can sustain a harvest of 400+MD bucks or zones like 4A harvesting 220+ MD bucks. (I used NDs reported success rate of 73%. Along with killing 200+ does (80% success rate).

I would like to see a separate category for any deer. That way you can spread applicants out a little. Kinda like Utah does with lots of different options.

I really would like the first option of a guaranteed archery tag on your first choice or apply for a rifle tag. There were 26,238 resident archery hunters last year and 54,662 resident rifle hunters. If only half the archers applied for the archery tag that would pull 13k applicants out of the rifle draw.

Here is 2021 numbers. I couldn't find 2022. "just 31,160 buck licenses were available for the 66,591 hunters who applied for them as their first choice in the lottery."

Take 13K apps out and that is 20% of applicant's. Rifle hunters would draw buck tags that much sooner. There would be way less pressure during archery.

They could do OTC unit specific archery tags. If you want to hunt 4C for mule deer you can. You just can't go home and hunt your private in 2A later in the year.

Right now the free for all really does suck out west.

I know residents don't give a crap about this but the nonresident landowner rifle tags coming out of the nonresident pool is a problem. The way it's set up now is the nonresident rifle tags available are only ONE PERCENT of the resident tags available per unit. Out of that 1% the nonresident landowners draw there tags.

This happens every year across multiple Units
For example
2022 Unit 2C Any antlered DEER
Total Availability 1,100 TAGs
1% NR deduction 11 TAGS
NR Tags given out - ZERO
All 11 went to NR landowners

There are many NR is who don't have a clue this is how it works and year after year they apply for the same unit and will literally never draw a tag.

Reactions: WCB
Lots of ND folks are awful special when it comes to "keeping the G&F in check" but at least they limit rifle tags. Could be worse, you could be Montana..

NDGuy

WKR
Lots of ND folks are awful special when it comes to "keeping the G&F in check" but at least they limit rifle tags. Could be worse, you could be Montana..
They got taken to the cleaners thanks to the senate yesterday. Good riddance to that stupid bill.

WCB

WKR
I know residents don't give a crap about this but the nonresident landowner rifle tags coming out of the nonresident pool is a problem. The way it's set up now is the nonresident rifle tags available are only ONE PERCENT of the resident tags available per unit. Out of that 1% the nonresident landowners draw there tags.

For example
1% NR deduction 11 TAGS
NR Tags given out - ZERO

There are many NR is who don't have a clue this is how it works and year after year they apply for the same unit and will literally never draw a tag.
Our area is similar...between 1 and 4 tags actually available in the draw out of 10-12 every year. Not sure how they can charge you for a draw or preference point in some zones when there is literally ZERO chance you can draw and they advertise 11 tags available.

Also, remember that up to 50% of the Antlered Whitetail tags (max of 100) can be taken by "GUIDES/OUTFITTERS". Reason those are in quotes is the "GUIDE/OUTFITTER" does not have to accompany the hunter or even meet them. They can also charge them whatever they want for the tag. So they can literally hear of someone who wants a tag...get it through the GUIDE/OUTFITTER draw charge them double and mail them the tag. It does have to go to a NR.

I talked to the G&F and specifically the head of their licensing about this before they even gave out NR information on their website. He did not cough it over very easily. He sent me the break down of drawing stats like they now show on the website. I could not for the life of me figure out how 12 tags were available but only 4 got drawn so I called him back.
Needless to say when he told me about how the outfitter license quota and NR landowner tags are taken out before the drawing and this information was not even explained anywhere on the website...he got an ear full. One of his replies is "well it is really inexpensive to apply and get a point so it isn't a big deal". I about lost it...it is the principle that at that time they were saying "12" tags were available to NRs in the draw. Zero mention about deductions or Landowner tags.

For example
1% NR deduction 11 TAGS
NR Tags given out - ZERO

It's the same with resident tags. Gratis tags come out of the pool before the draw. Wyoming is the same. Non res landowners get tags before the actual draw. I don't really have an opinion on whether they should pull gratis/landowner tags before the draw. They even pull resident gratis before the draw.

At Least ND doesn't make a non res wait a month after residents start hunting.

WCB

WKR
Honestly....that would be awesome. Wouldn't have to deal with 1 resident tag holder having 6 people push the cover for him.

Honestly....that would be awesome. Wouldn't have to deal with 1 resident tag holder having 6 people push the cover for him.
Couldn't a non res just wait to start if that is happening in the first month?

I have seen a group of archers push areas. After they are done they go to the next drainage and push it. I haven't even seen any let an arrow fly but I have seen a lot of deer ran out from them. It was interesting because they didn't set up blockers or anything. They just spread out and started walking.

KurtR

WKR
It's the same with resident tags. Gratis tags come out of the pool before the draw. Wyoming is the same. Non res landowners get tags before the actual draw. I don't really have an opinion on whether they should pull gratis/landowner tags before the draw. They even pull resident gratis before the draw.

We could just pull all nr deer license unlike other states it’s a drop in the bucket for funding. Pheasants are king.

Fatcamp

WKR
We could just pull all nr deer license unlike other states it’s a drop in the bucket for funding. Pheasants are king.

I am puzzled by the anger at that. Honestly, hunting in September is miserable.

They did release some info, anyway.

Screenshot_20230405-192021_Chrome.jpg

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can't figure out why, other than for political reasons, landowner gratis tags even exist. I understand landowners sort of feed public wildlife, especially east of the badlands, so maybe gratis tags are compensation. And in a state where ag is king, large landowners have a lot of political clout. However, it's still frustrating.

Reactions: Duh

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
I can't figure out why, other than for political reasons, landowner gratis tags even exist. I understand landowners sort of feed public wildlife, especially east of the badlands, so maybe gratis tags are compensation. And in a state where ag is king, large landowners have a lot of political clout. However, it's still frustrating.
You think they sort of feed wildlife? After this winter if it weren’t for feed lots and cattle yards, whitetails in the eastern part of the state would be in serious trouble. As far as I know most states have some sort of gratis/ landowner tag, and it makes more sense in an ag state than anywhere. For reference I’m not a landowner and don’t get a gratis tag, but if you want to start a serious battle with landowners and permission, then start a fight to take away gratis tags….

Duh

WKR
Heavy snow the first week of rifle season may have been a benefit. It kept the pumpkin patrol from driving all the trails on public land where my kid and I hunted. Hardly any vehicles on the roads and no one walking. By mid January things had melted nicely, and I saw plenty of deer.

Separate topic, but the 16 day rifle season sucks. I don't have any brilliant ideas but something needs to be done to spread out the pressure.
I second the absolutely no one walking the first week of rifle season. I’m out and about in the south central part of the state and haven’t noticed any significant die off. Saw a big group of muleys today and they looked decent.

WCB

WKR
Couldn't a non res just wait to start if that is happening in the first month?

I have seen a group of archers push areas. After they are done they go to the next drainage and push it. I haven't even seen any let an arrow fly but I have seen a lot of deer ran out from them. It was interesting because they didn't set up blockers or anything. They just spread out and started walking.
Hard to wait a month when it is a 16 day season. Realistically though from experience being out there either bow hunting or waterfowl hunting during gun opener... All a guy has to do is get in a good area and sit. Residents for the most part in our area come in at or just after sunrise...hunt until 10am. Come back out at 2ish o'clock and are gone before the sun goes down. Gotta be on the gravel when the deer are moving ya know.

Good news is the latest storm missed most the mule deer country. Hopefully the few herds around the area we spend most our time in central ND hang on. Nice to see Mule Deer in "non traditional" areas.

Last edited:
Hard to wait a month when it is a 16 day season.
I missed the reference to rifle season. My 30 day delay was in reference to the SD non res archery delay. Makes it a little easier to push with a rifle than a bow haha.

And they still use sheep auction tag $ to pay for pheasant and deer hunting habitat.