North Dakota

49ereric

WKR
Bleak landscape in the winter and always a breeze.
i roughnecked north of Belfield in the winter in the early 80’s and first winter was horrible wind and severe cold but next two winter were not real bad. Only snowed in at the drilling rig site for a little over two days once. We made hole the entire time when most rigs froze up.
spent a few weeks near Bowbells in 2013 doing pipeline dig ups as an oiler.
weather was decent for January at times and horrible as well…
wind ices the roads up frequently when the sun heats the road enough to melt a bit of the blowing snow and then wind polishes the ice very well…
i’m used to Mn winters in the woods up north.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Grew up in Williston. Now live in eastern part of state.

Great place for an outdoors person. No such this as bad weather, just bad clothing. You can catch or kill something 12 months out of the year. The biggest issue is wind. Temps can be bitter cold, and it isn't that bad. But throw in some wind, and it sucks. Make sure you have survival gear in your vehicle. You get stuck, and you could be there a long time.

ND has some fantastic walleye fishing. Others have mentioned, Sak, DL, but there are plenty of sleeper lakes. Ice fishing is fun. Coyote hunting. If you like waterfowl, you are in some of the best area in the country.

jahaze

FNG
While there may not be much public land, ND land is considered open, unless posted closed. I've hunted pheasants all over the state, both on public and private with no issues. You won't have much competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting in the cold is not only doable, but sometimes very productive.

Bowkill from 12/18/2022. Public Land ND. Temp was ~ +4F and wind was 10-15 MPH.

No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.

Attachments

• Deer 2022.jpg
    Deer 2022.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 49

bigv

Lil-Rokslider
The biggest difference you find in the dakotas is the wind. Flatter plains, rolling hills, not many trees creates wind. The temp will be colder than you're used to but you'll get used to it. Snow can be tough but looks like you've seen that enough. The wind will get to you at times. Plow a road out and an hour later it's full of snow again. Winter wind is what out of staters don't comprehend.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
The biggest difference you find in the dakotas is the wind. Flatter plains, rolling hills, not many trees creates wind. The temp will be colder than you're used to but you'll get used to it. Snow can be tough but looks like you've seen that enough. The wind will get to you at times. Plow a road out and an hour later it's full of snow again. Winter wind is what out of staters don't comprehend.
Wind sucks, wind at zero degrees really sucks. I absolutely hate the wind.

OP
1woolie89

1woolie89

Lil-Rokslider

That’s awesome! Getting fired up for that!

WCB

WKR
Owned a place in ND for over 20 years....Dad, uncles, etc have been hunting out there since the 70s. Live in MN and winter is winter. Just because it is more open generally the wind IS a factor in ND. Good clothing or not 40-50mph+ winds 20 degrees and lower and inches of snow an hour is not something you just deal with.

Deer rifle is a draw, archery over the counter, MZ tags are also draw. Some of the worst deer hunting right now since like 2010ish. Waterfowl and upland can be good. Fishing in general if you know where to go is childs play and almost no effort needed. I coyote hunt and endless opportunity for that almost anywhere in the state.

Make sure in the winter you have shovels, jerk straps, tow straps etc. and winter survival items.

We were out there right before that last year in Central ND. Those condiditons are normal winter conditions. The Week before nobody was hunting in 40-50 mph winds and 2+ inches of snow an hour.

KurtR

WKR
PSA in the Dakotas. When they issue a no travel advisory, they mean it. Stay home.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk
Unless its sunday and every old person has to get to church. Nothing better than getting directions as grandpa sits in the car with the penny loafers on. Made snow removal on sundays even that much worse.

Lawnboi

WKR
Unless it’s sunday and every old person has to get to church. Nothing better than getting directions as grandpa sits in the car with the penny loafers on. Made snow removal on sundays even that much worse.
Got to get to the store to get that daily scratcher!

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
PSA in the Dakotas. When they issue a no travel advisory, they mean it. Stay home.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk
+1. And yes, they close highways/interstate. Cross arms on entrance ramps. They pull the plows. Here is a glimpse. (See video within story)

Needless to say, your bullets or arrows may not impact where aiming on days like this. Stay home and snuggle the "Mrs".

https://www.valleynewslive.com/2022...fUmXu68Y8ig3fZqhAKGCvw2Po02ktCmqMMtbebcpV7GcU

NDGuy

WKR
Minot puts you in a pretty nice location, not too far from badlands not too far from prime waterfowl. Great upland hunting and fishing where you are at.

NDGuy

WKR
Put in for big three next spring, they seem to love giving those OIL tags to newly planted residents lol

NDGuy

WKR
Dirtytough, there are about 4 million acres of public land in ND. I consider ND to be pretty darn good WRT public land.
Like 3% of the state. Nearly everything is private with very limited access except for waterfowl

Nd is a nice state . Lots of outdoor opportunities . Yes windy . Amazed at the extremes . Can be 90 degrees in the summer and 40 below in the winter with the wind ripping . Good luck

OP
1woolie89

1woolie89

Lil-Rokslider
Put in for big three next spring, they seem to love giving those OIL tags to newly planted residents lol
Sounds good to me! Was already expecting to wait 15 years for an elk tag in California for the Tuleys. :/

Sounds good to me! Was already expecting to wait 15 years for an elk tag in California for the Tuleys. :/
If you just want an elk, antlerless tags are closer to 50% draw success. Antlerless moose around 10%. They still count against your OIL, but it’s an option. Draw odds for 2023 have been updated on the NDGF website.

Looks like I was beat to it but...

If the wind isn't blowing I agree, you can stay warm enough in some really cold temps. When it is blowing.. Good luck with hand function and your eyes.

Lots of outdoor opportunities in ND. Winter can be a depressing time. Seasonal depression is real. Finding ways to play in the cold when the wind isn't blowing sure helps!

Last edited:

49ereric

WKR
Looks like I was beat to it but...
View attachment 624524

If the wind isn't blowing I agree, you can stay warm enough in some really cold temps. When it is blowing.. Good luck with hand function and your eyes.

Lots of outdoor opportunities in ND. Winter can be a depressing time. Seasonal depression is real. Finding ways to play in the cold when the wind isn't blowing sure helps!
We were rigging up a triple drilling rig south of Dickinson a few miles and morning temp was -25° and we were on top of hill of course wind blowing like mad and had my usually winter work clothes on and i lasted 5 minutes before going to the bosses truck and getting my good winter parka and wearing it over my insulated carhart overalls.
then it was just my toes that were cold but most of us jumped up and down to warm the feet.