North Georgia

FieldMarshall

FNG
Classified Approved
I’m moving to Dahlonega in a few months. Currently living down in Savannah. Can’t wait to get back to the hill country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Bill_Crooks
I've hiked and fished in there a good bit, but always in the Jacks River area. I've seen hogs and bear, but never any deer sign and the local usfs ranger told me he's never seen a deer within the wilderness area. But after the fires I wouldn't be surprised if there's enough browse to draw a few in from the lower elevations. If you plan on hunting the wilderness I would focus more on bear with deer being more of a lucky chance. I do hear people do pretty well in the areas of the wma in lower elevation. The DNR has a lot of food plots on the southern end of the WMA.

Word to the wise, don't try to go from low to high on penitentiary branch trail. It whooped me. Not that I'm in the best shape, but it's still pretty steep.

If you do go for bear in late September to early October stick to the ridges. Unfortunately all of my experience is in that time of the year.
Thanks for the info!!

FieldMarshall

FNG
Classified Approved
I've hiked and fished in there a good bit, but always in the Jacks River area. I've seen hogs and bear, but never any deer sign and the local usfs ranger told me he's never seen a deer within the wilderness area. But after the fires I wouldn't be surprised if there's enough browse to draw a few in from the lower elevations. If you plan on hunting the wilderness I would focus more on bear with deer being more of a lucky chance. I do hear people do pretty well in the areas of the wma in lower elevation. The DNR has a lot of food plots on the southern end of the WMA.

Word to the wise, don't try to go from low to high on penitentiary branch trail. It whooped me. Not that I'm in the best shape, but it's still pretty steep.

If you do go for bear in late September to early October stick to the ridges. Unfortunately all of my experience is in that time of the year.

Pen Cove area around 5th RTB at Camp Merrill is no joke. I went back to Cooper’s Gap AT crossing over President’s Day weekend this year. Think I’m still cold from it

I used to go every year and hunt bears there. The tearbritches trail area always seemed to hold a good amount of game. I had found several good groves of white oaks around the trail. There used to be a big problem with people breaking into vehicles there (which is why I stopped hunting there) so be careful. I believe local law enforcement has worked to reduce that problem though. The DNR is full of great knowledge and are always willing to help. The fire suppression crew members always have the inside scoop on where to look for bears! Look me up before you go or if you have any other questions.

OP
Bill_Crooks
Thanks for all the information guys! I plan on doing a summer test run/scouting mission I will have to look into some of these trails.

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
I’m from Lula and have hunted a few places that have been named already. It’s some rough country but it can definitely pay off. Best of luck to you!

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
The deer are on the upswing for sure was up there last weekend and saw few tracks on the south fork jacks river. Keep to the high ridges above 3000 feet they will hit those acorns first. I’ve probably passed others rock sliders on the trails and didn’t know it good luck this fall.

Bubdog

FNG
I plan to make a trip up there for a few days in the 2021 season. Im going to CO this year and that will be my only multi day hunt this year. Ive never been before.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
I can't believe you all are posting trail names and specific locations... WTF
No one posted any super-secret information. These trails are major access points and anyone wanting to hunt the Wilderness would access it through one of a few trails like this. to get to the good spots one has to sweat and bleed, and those spots no one is talking about.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
No one posted any super-secret information. These trails are major access points and anyone wanting to hunt the Wilderness would access it through one of a few trails like this. to get to the good spots one has to sweat and bleed, and those spots no one is talking about.
Yeah I know what you're saying, but I still think it's poor form to post area/trail names (even as general as a Wilderness or river name) I know a lot of folks disagree but it's not like you're sharing some information with a buddy, you're putting it out there for anyone who searches "hunting north georgia" on Google. I don't even live in GA anymore but I think there should be a strict etiquette of not posting anything that could lead to increased pressure on an area. The Cohutta is what 50,000 acres? How would it affect your hunt if another 10 or 20 people decided to hike the Jack's River trail and look for white oaks on ridges to hunt bear because they found your post? This unscrupulous sharing of information on the internet is a big problem with the Western states, but I was a little bummed to see it going on with the very limited public land in my home state too.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I know what you're saying, but I still think it's poor form to post area/trail names (even as general as a Wilderness or river name) I know a lot of folks disagree but it's not like you're sharing some information with a buddy, you're putting it out there for anyone who searches "hunting north georgia" on Google. I don't even live in GA anymore but I think there should be a strict etiquette of not posting anything that could lead to increased pressure on an area. The Cohutta is what 50,000 acres? How would it affect your hunt if another 10 or 20 people decided to hike the Jack's River trail and look for white oaks on ridges to hunt bear because they found your post? This unscrupulous sharing of information on the internet is a big problem with the Western states, but I was a little bummed to see it going on with the very limited public land in my home state too.
More like 100,000 and there are oaks from one end to the other. 20 or a 100 more would not make a difference. We have 600 hunters on the hunts now, but only around 6 venture into the wilderness. The rest hang out in a sea of orange next to the rds. It is no secret there are big deer in the wilderness and if anyone wants to hunt in it they are welcome, but it is rough as any hike you ever made, and you can not camp in it.