Island deer hunt

I have done this hunt a few times in the mid 1990's. Most of our deer came from the pot-hole areas. Great hunt and excellent time with friends. One time we got really bad weather and the ferry wouldn't run to get us off the island when our hunt was done, we spent an extra 3 days there.

kbarber

FNG
Such a cool hunt, me dad did it when I was a kid and highly recommends it. Looks like you had a great experience.

sbhockey

FNG
Just joined this forum to revive this old thread. I'm planning the NMI hunt this fall, just sent in my application today. I did have a questions.

Is this hunt pretty much a guaranteed tag, or is it something you may have to wait a few years to get?

Anyone taking in sticks and saddles with them being so much more packable than tree stand?

If I were to pack a cooler or cart in, how safe would you feel about locking it to a tree for the week and it actually being there when you get back? Considering everyone is coming in and out on the same boat, I'd say it's probably a pretty safe option.

Thanks in advance.

Depending on the amount of applications,it's basically a guaranteed acceptance, the year I went it was only 80 people, and if you take a cooler and don't plan to keep it at your camp you can put it in the barn where guys that are camping further away from the dock store their rifle cases,nobody will bother it.

sbhockey

FNG
Thanks for the info. App turned in, now just waiting. I'm thinking of heading up in a few weeks just to camp for a weekend and get a feel for the place. 2nd rifle Elk in Colorado was my plan for a back country trip this year, but I have to be honest with myself. No way I'll be in mountain shape by late October. Plus NMI is only a 4 hour driver and a LOT cheaper.

Since 2020 there has been between 120-160 people going each year and they have been running 3 trips with the ferry. The deer population is down

sbhockey

FNG
@deerhunter2881 kinda what I was hearing. With the popularity of backpack hunting, and the accessibility of this hunt, it seems to have gotten popular. I’m no exception to that. Worst case, I come home empty handed, but got to spend a week away from work.

@deerhunter2881 kinda what I was hearing. With the popularity of backpack hunting, and the accessibility of this hunt, it seems to have gotten popular. I’m no exception to that. Worst case, I come home empty handed, but got to spend a week away from work.
Yes the island is very relaxing and a great way to disconnect.

I was going to go this year but bailed. Buddy went last year, and as others have said deer #s are way down. A couple big bucks will get killed, but you'll see way more fawns and spikes getting loaded to go back to the main land.

MikeDaily

FNG
I hunted it in 2019 and 2020. I'm coming back this year. 300 hunters will be a lot. Keep my back to a tree!

You'll get the tag, make sure to book the ferry asap. It's a fun hunt, deer populations might be down but I bet they're still out there. I shot three in 2020.

six to seven days is a lot of time to figure out the island, don't over think it.

sbhockey

FNG
I hunted it in 2019 and 2020. I'm coming back this year. 300 hunters will be a lot. Keep my back to a tree!

You'll get the tag, make sure to book the ferry asap. It's a fun hunt, deer populations might be down but I bet they're still out there. I shot three in 2020.

six to seven days is a lot of time to figure out the island, don't over think it.
When I booked my ferry trip I was #40 on the second boat, so that put me at 100. That was at the end of July