Island deer hunt

Thanks for the update. Do you have any idea on the number of hunters this year vs number of deer taken?

Ac338

WKR
Here you go...
497ce1655f0629fc04b41a32248b2fd6.jpg

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

Ac338

WKR
Cool! I had been looking for that but couldnt find it. More guys then i thought.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
Yeah there was more people than I expected also, but 50% success rate is pretty good.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

I used to work on North Manitou island in college. I saw lots of deer and it's a beautiful place. There's also great small mouth fishing on the interior lake.

The biggest caveat: I was on Manitou island because I had a job studying Lyme disease. There are A LOT of ticks.

The best advice I can give you is to duct tape your pants to your boots, tuck your shirt in, and generally think of your clothes as a line of defense. You can treat your clothes with deet and permethrin, I was always soaked in the stuff and still jumped a lot of deer.

Visually check yourself and your hunting partner often. Ticks show up pretty well on blaze orange. Carry good tweezers. Finally, remember that Lyme disease is much more easily treatable if you catch it early. See a doctor the moment you have symptoms and it should just be a quick run of antibiotics.

You can get away from the ticks at night by camping on the beach, though wind can be a problem in that case. I had a tent with a bath tub floor and never had any problems.
Great post and info, thanks.

Born and raised in Leelanau County and looked out on that lake my whole life growing up but never did the hunt. Looks like you guys had a blast. Might have to consider it further. Appreciate the post!

Fishmaster196

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like it was a great hunt.
I don’t think we have to apologize for our backcountry hunts here in Michigan. They are as wild as any hunt in the lower 48.
We have wolves, moose, elk and lord knows more deer than just about anywhere!!!!

I went last year and it was my first hunt there and it was a great time, there wasn't many bucks taken but a few of those that were tipped the scale well over 200 dressed weight. A couple of them were aged at over 9 years old and had less than 4 teeth left in their heads.

Attachments

• IMG_20181103_093705303.jpg
    IMG_20181103_093705303.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG952018110195214732768.jpg
    IMG952018110195214732768.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 223
I went last year with my brother in-law and a couple guys from work if you have any questions feel free to ask

OP
M

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
Hey man! I'm in the same boat you were last year. I can't figure out how to send a private message so I'm responding to this post. Can I pick your brain about the hunt? Planning to go this year?

Pm sent. Happy to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigred

FNG
Hey i also have my bags packed for that hunt this year. Only been there one time in the summer. Any tips for the first time hunting there?

Get out quickly,get camp set up asap and get in the woods while everyone else is still making their way to camp and pushing deer to you,the biggest buck of the trip last year was taken in the first couple hours after we hit the island.

First boat definitely has the advantage,one member of our party waited to long to make his reservation and ended up on the second and didn't get to the island til after 2pm

Bigred

FNG
We are on the second boat. We still dont have a location picked for setting up camp. We are stuck trying to decide if we should make a proper camp of just stay mobile and go light weight. We have a group of 3 of us. Im not really all that concerned with shooting anything. Im just looking forward to the adventure.

The national parks service will ask you where you plan to camp and the number of people in your party as you register for the hunt at the dock, and they give you a tag to hang on a tree by camp

MikeDaily

FNG
We are on the second boat. We still dont have a location picked for setting up camp. We are stuck trying to decide if we should make a proper camp of just stay mobile and go light weight. We have a group of 3 of us. Im not really all that concerned with shooting anything. Im just looking forward to the adventure.
Hi Red,

I found a few nice campsites while I was there. You're welcome to PM me and I'll point them out on a map.

Nevvon

FNG
Sounds like an awesome trip. Definitely something I would love to look into doing.

Definitely going again next year, couldn't make it this time due to building a new house ....darn life getting in the way of a good time.

Bigred

FNG
Hi Red,

I found a few nice campsites while I was there. You're welcome to PM me and I'll point them out on a map.

Im new to rokslide not sure if this is a personal message or not but i guess ill fins out. Im not sure i have enough time on here to be able to personal message yet. I would love some insight though. My largest concern is the weather/ staying warm enough without packing too much in

Nevvon

FNG
Do they also hunt the island during archery season? I would love to go over to the island during archery season, I would imagine the deer are more worked up by the time of rifle season.