NRL hunter 2022 Colorado Hunter Challenge

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
This isn’t a live hunt but figured I can give you guys a insight into NRL HUNTER series matches and what to expect WHEN you decide to go to one.

My daughter and I are both shooting this match! She’s very nervous and doesn’t know what to expect but she will do fine. She is shooting it to help prepare for her Colorado above timberline deer tag in September!

Today is sight in day and We will make it to the range to zero our rifles and shoot them through a chronograph to verify power factor. (Minimum 380,000 which is weight of the bullet x the velocity). Today is a cool day to talk to other guys and look at gear both hunting and shooting. Often times there are companies there that will do demos as well.

We are in Denver now and will make the drive out there after lunch. I’ll fill you guys in when I can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2705161c9d7a312b9bc7db15f08e6dc9.jpg

I went to the one in Laramie at the end of April. It was a lot of fun and I'm glad they found a new venue to have this match at. Should be a lot of fun.

Good luck!

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
ok day 1- sight in day.
Peytons rifle is dialed.
Mine.... not so much! my scope would not hold zero! there were several top shooters helping me and NRL HUNTER has a loaner program so there was a scope there for me! after literally 3 of some of the best shooters around tried to zero my rifle, I ended up with 66 rounds of ammo. Max round count is 160 so 80 rounds IF I DIDNT MISS A SINGLE SHOT. that wasn't going to cut. Again, NRL HUNTER came to the rescue and loaned me factory ammo! I was in business again. zeroed rifle and shot at 600 yards to confirm data which isn't ideal but better than what I had!

I went to bed very stressed out and defeated....

Matt Alwine and Travis Ishida were nice enough to put on a clinic yesterday as well to help explain how to shoot a stage. It was very helpful for new shooters.
f3053bb01a3f7e41e33dc4c974270faf.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Day 2-
first day of the match. Still not confident with this rifle but running it anyways! I didn't do too hot, in fact this is by far the worst match ive ever shot e even though I haven't shot a ton. Im usually in the upper 1/3 of the field and closer to the top in factory class. I ended the day bottom 1/3rd. But im having a blast, and learning a lot. We had some interesting winds to shoot in today!

As far as @Peytonella09, she is crushing it for her first match! yes... she's beating me! She was so nervous going into this match and after nearly cleaning the first stage, all of her butterflies went away.

She did have a couple of bad stages and that was miscommunication on wind direction playing the largest factor. We are on the same page now and I'm so proud of her!

I had the attitude I was going to burn this match down. The Lord had other plans and I need to trust Him. Tomorrow, I will be focusing on my wind calls and fundamentals.
8b66831b7d316abe37352b37ef860301.jpg
571319a0e56c725b1ed32a89e739432e.jpg

f1693575a55eed6def0895a9fcc98992.jpg

Last edited:
That's a bummer about your rifle. These matches have a way of humbling us, but the fun is in the journey. Happy to hear Peyton shot well.

I can't wait to get my kids in this. My oldest is 6 and her younger sister is 3. We went to the range today and both of them shot my 22LR off a tripod and hit steel at 50yds.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sunday update. More of the same issues for me, and more of the same burning it down for Peyton! she ended up placing third in youth and I couldn't be happier for her.

this whole community is great and although I didn't do well, I learned a ton and got to meet some amazing people.

If there is an NRL HUNTER within driving distance of you next year, you should make every attempt to attend. They have a skills division where you shoot the stages, but don't qualify to walk the prize table. This is a great division to learn on because other shooters, and the Range officers running the stage will coach you through it. You will leave with a tremendous amount of knowledge.

At the awards ceremony, a great shooter came up to Peyton and let her walk the prize table in his place. She ended up picking up a certificate for a very nice scope. Also, the community rallied behind my son and helped him out trememdously with his 3d printing business. These are just two examples on how great this community is! Such cool people and they have made me a better marksman, hunter, and person.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is a link to a video of my son.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
1st of all - good job Dad! lots to be proud of!

2nd - are you going to cover any specifics on the scope that failed to hold zero?

Not yet, I’m at my sons Boy Scout camp and before I do, I’m going to test the scope at home and shoot it more. With other things that occurred on Friday, I’m not 100% sure there was a scope failure.

And thank you! I’m very proud.