Nrl hunter match strategy question

JjamesIII

WKR
I’m nrl curious 😉. It seems a lot less to do with the circus tricks of prs, and a more practical real world simulation of what we do in the field. I have learned to dial drop/hold for wind calls. Nothing earth shattering there.
I just put in an order for a scope with the tremor 4 reticle after watching its capabilities, in regards to the speed of ignoring the turrets all together and solely relying on stadia lines and dots. With practice, it really seems like you have everything you need to make this happen without leaving the eye box.
Is it common in nrl hunter event participants to do this, or are most competitors still cranking on their turrets? I’m speaking in general terms, I understand match directors can dictate the pace of the stages that would possibly make dialing more advantageous.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Same…folks dial. Unless target was inside 300 yards or so. I’ve had decent luck with a few closer targets just holding high and shooting but never off the target.

My 2 cents, the targets can be pretty small and at distance I’d be uncomfortable using any point of aim that wasn’t centered. Too easy to make an error with not a ton of room allocated for such. Even minor ranging errors with RF will eat up the elevation needed for a hit.

ID_Matt

WKR
I only have seen 1 guy that used his reticle primarily for elevation and did not dial. It is not common at all. Everyone dials. I don't know the T3 real well. I am sure it has some practical advantages, but I think those advantages are mostly speed and maybe ranging. In the hunter competition, if you are efficient, you have plenty of time to laser range the target and dial your scope.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m nrl curious 😉. It seems a lot less to do with the circus tricks of prs, and a more practical real world simulation of what we do in the field. I have learned to dial drop/hold for wind calls. Nothing earth shattering there.
I just put in an order for a scope with the tremor 4 reticle after watching its capabilities, in regards to the speed of ignoring the turrets all together and solely relying on stadia lines and dots. With practice, it really seems like you have everything you need to make this happen without leaving the eye box.
Is it common in nrl hunter event participants to do this, or are most competitors still cranking on their turrets? I’m speaking in general terms, I understand match directors can dictate the pace of the stages that would possibly make dialing more advantageous.

One of the worst reticles for hitting realistic sized targets. Hit rates holding elevation and windage in the reticle are lower than dialing elevation and holding windage. It also isn’t faster to hit single targets.

texag10

WKR
One of the worst reticles for hitting realistic sized targets. Hit rates holding elevation and windage in the reticle are lower than dialing elevation and holding windage. It also isn’t faster to hit single targets.
Where in the process of getting into position are you dialing elevation? I've been dry practicing going from seated with rifle over a pack to prone behind the gun and dialing with a par timer, and can't find a good place to dial other than as I'm getting behind the gun, then confirming I have the correct elevation just before I place my eye behind the scope. What am I missing? Is the time "lost" to dialing vs a holdovers regained once in the scope since you just align the crosshairs, adjust for wind, and shoot?

alexnelon

FNG
Where in the process of getting into position are you dialing elevation? I've been dry practicing going from seated with rifle over a pack to prone behind the gun and dialing with a par timer, and can't find a good place to dial other than as I'm getting behind the gun, then confirming I have the correct elevation just before I place my eye behind the scope. What am I missing? Is the time "lost" to dialing vs a holdovers regained once in the scope since you just align the crosshairs, adjust for wind, and shoot?
Finding and triple checking your holdover takes way longer than dialing.

Where in the process of getting into position are you dialing elevation?
I haven't done NRL Hunter but for normal situations I do this sequence. Locate target/animal -> range target/animal -> dial elevation before getting my eye behind the scope as I'm getting the rifle on target. Dialing elevation takes about one second.

Here's a video from Phillip Velayo doing an NRL Hunter match in the partner format. Velayo is one of the best shooters in the country and the video even has triggercam footage alongside the video of him moving. It's a 3 video series and for the first video in the series, the shooting start at 10:00 minutes in. Up to that point it's just going over gear/process to prepare for it.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I haven't done NRL Hunter but for normal situations I do this sequence. Locate target/animal -> range target/animal -> dial elevation before getting my eye behind the scope as I'm getting the rifle on target. Dialing elevation takes about one second.

Here's a video from Phillip Velayo doing an NRL Hunter match in the partner format. Velayo is one of the best shooters in the country and the video even has triggercam footage alongside the video of him moving. It's a 3 video series and for the first video in the series, the shooting start at 10:00 minutes in. Up to that point it's just going over gear/process to prepare for it.

This is close to the process I used in NRL Hunter last weekend.

I’ll add after you spin elevation don’t forget to adjust parallax. For the shots we were taking 300-600yds I honestly just left it set on the 500 mark. But keep it in your flow to at least think about it.

Another gotcha that caught me off guard was they didn’t want the bolt closed until you put the eye on the scope. My partner almost got DQ’d because he went down on scope, closed bolt, then came up out of the scope to check something without popping the bolt up.

It was one of the more anal ROs but what they wanted on that particular range.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I dial everything at all matches, and so does everyone else. More importantly, the people winning the matches all dial.

Holding elevation over ~1 MIL simply sucks if you are also holding wind

Im sure it could be trained but without said training I think i'd get tremors trying to find the right holds with a tremor reticle on the clock.

Last edited:
OP
J

JjamesIII

WKR

I’ve never shot a match yet- but I just know I would smoke those fools 😆 it looks like a ton of fun!

I’ve never shot a match yet- but I just know I would smoke those fools 😆 it looks like a ton of fun!
Well he teaches classes so if you're interested in that sort of thing you can learn. Velayo is at the top of my shortlist of instructors I want to take a class with.

texag10

WKR
Finding and triple checking your holdover takes way longer than dialing.

Thanks y'all. I've never really used holdovers, but am going to go test it with a timer vs dialing in simulated hunting shots at the range today. I use the same sequence outlined above, but wanted to check and make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
99% of people dial elevation and hold for wind. the 1% that doesn't is not competitive. you will miss targets if you don't dial. when under the pressure of a clock, it is hard to remember 5.7 mils elevation and 1.2 mils wind. you try to do that in your scope and you will make a lot of mistakes. its much easier to just remember 1.2 mils wind.

OP
J

JjamesIII

WKR
I figured that’s what most do (that’s what I do). I didn’t know if their was a newer or better method, considering how quickly the shooting games have evolve lately. What was once accepted practice/equipment “standard” seems to change every year.