NRL Production setup questions from a n00b

Runinl8

FNG
Hello Rokslide forums, I recently picked up a Seekins Havak PH2 in 6.5 creed for my first "do-all" bolt gun. I am looking to get into NRL and PRS Production class matches, and I've been doing quite a bit of research (analysis paralysis) on glass setups. I was initially drawn to the Zeiss LRP S3 but I don't want to put a bulky 40oz scope on top of a lightweight hunting rifle like the PH2. I am leaning heavily toward the ATACR 4-16x42 Mil-XT though I am also considering other options. I like the Nightforce pedigree, and I am ok with spending the money if the quality is really there so long as I stay under the $2500 budget. However, I like the 2.5x mag on the NX8 and I think the Vortex XLR-2 reticle is the best of the bunch. I'm just getting started, so I would prefer that eye relief and scope vignetting are as forgiving as I can get.

Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42mm F1 Mil-XT​

Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 Mil-XT​

Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50 FFP XLR-2​

Burris Xtreme Tactical XTR III 3.3-18x50mm​

Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks for your input!

ATACR 4-16 definitely seems head and shoulders above the rest of the ones you mentioned. I especially wouldn't get the Vortex LHT right now (even if you don't care as much about the droptesting) because Vortex will be announcing new crossover scopes on Thursday. Supposedly including a new reticle that's more visible on lower powers and better for hunting.

Seems that the 4-32 nx8 is preferred by most who've tried both it and the 2.5-20, even if you're not using it over 20x magnification.

I like the Maven RS1.2 as a crossover scope better than any you mentioned but I could see there being a slight favor to 0.2 subtensions for small targets at matches. My only exposure to NRL hunter matches (1 day "hunter games" matches) had large targets and the maven reticle was not limiting at all.

I have the 4-16 ATACR and the 4-32 NX8 and have had 2.5-20s. In my option the 4-32 blows the 2.5-20 out of the water. The things I hated about the 2.5-20 (tight eyebox/ unforgiving parallax) I don’t notice at all with the 4-32. Currently the 4-32 rides on my NRL rig and doesn’t see much (if any) use over 16 power and the scope does great in the 12-16 power range. I don’t have a ton of time behind the ATACR but it’s a pig and does best around 8-12 power. I have sent both of my 2.5-20s packing and wouldn’t think about buying another, if you want something close look to the Trijicon 3-18 FFP which will save some weight over the NF offerings as well. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would probably go with the 4-32 NX8 or a 5-25 ATACR just to have a little extra magnification. Some conditions like patchy snow make you want a little extra magnification. In Laramie a few weeks ago I shot the entire match on 20-25 power. Vernal was dry but there were some small targets so I shot around 16-20 on most stages. I think as NRL Hunter progresses we are going to see smaller targets so you will want the higher magnification.

Back