NRL22x

ChrisAU

WKR
Anyone shooting the match in Blakely GA in a couple weeks? Will be me and a buddy who is accompanying’s first match of any kind.

I really wanted to do the NRL Hunter match they had in April but wife and I were expecting our first child like two days after the match when news broke of the dates, so no go lol. Then after that they announced they were hosting this NRL22x match in NRL Hunter format so I jumped head first into the 22LR world…probably wasted a lot of money lol.

Any tips on these types of matches? I have a CZ457 VPT with an Area 419 Lilja that makes it so any miss is absolutely on me and my shit wind calling.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
And Oh yeah I absolutely can’t wait to get annihilated by some dudes shooting wood stocked 10/22’s with Nikon BDC scopes…if there is a last place trophy, I’m gonna look good holding it 😂

F57B1DA2-3B09-4C49-88AC-C790DAFC4A6F.jpeg

BLJ

WKR
IMO.
water/snacks
Ballistic calculator of some variety (I use StrelokPro).
Something to right down your dope for stages on. (Masking tape and sharpie, wrist coach, card attached to your rifle)
At least (2) 10 round mags.
Binos and tripod for spotting.
Support bag. (if not, someone else will have one for you to use. Guarantee.)
Open mind. (Very good chance you will miss and time out a lot. Been there.😁) Pack for your stuff.

This should be a good start. Challenge your self but have fun at all times.
The money you have spent is minor to what’s coming up. It’s an addiction for sure.

Good luck. It’s a blast.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
IMO.
water/snacks
Ballistic calculator of some variety (I use StrelokPro).
Something to right down your dope for stages on. (Masking tape and sharpie, wrist coach, card attached to your rifle)
At least (2) 10 round mags.
Binos and tripod for spotting.
Support bag. (if not, someone else will have one for you to use. Guarantee.)
Open mind. (Very good chance you will miss and time out a lot. Been there.😁) Pack for your stuff.

This should be a good start. Challenge your self but have fun at all times.
The money you have spent is minor to what’s coming up. It’s an addiction for sure.

Good luck. It’s a blast.

Thanks!

MidwestElkHutner

Lil-Rokslider
22lr matches are a blast...been shooting NRL22 monthly and NRL22x matches for the last couple years. The format of the hunter matches...all blind stages...find targets, range targets, and engage targets. I believe your time limit is 4 minutes. While this may seem like a lot of time, it can slip away quickly. In hunter type matches it is good to have a procedure/routine and stick with it...here is mine (this may or may not work for you)...at the signal to engage:
1. approach shooting position and lay down support bag and rifle (near where I think shooting position will be), and setup glassing tripod (I want to be setup to start locating targets within 30 seconds of signal to engage)
2. scan the shooting area for targets (I like to setup tripod directly behind shooting positions. This usually puts you in best spot to spot targets). Most stages will have either multiple targets to engage from one shooting position, or a single target being engaged from multiple positions in hunter matches
3.Locate all targets then range (your equipment will dictate how long this takes). For example, a rangefinder bino is going to be quicker than binos and a standard rangefinder. I have shot matches with both setups and it can be done with either setup
4. While scanning and ranging targets, I write down the distances on my dry erase dope card
5. get dope from kestrel and quick glance at wind reading
6. Load magazine, read wind at target distance, and engage targets

...most hunter matches will emphasize first round impacts. Take your time and get a good first shot. Don't get frustrated. Hunter matches are a blast to shoot, but there is a learning curve that just takes time. Most importantly, is open your ears and listen and watch the good shooters. If you have a questions, ask them when they have some down time. To a person, every single shooter I have come in contact with at these matches are more then willing to help others out. Ask a questions, close your mouth, and listen!!! But most imp have fun!!!

BLJ

WKR
I forgot knee pads. I wear a $15 set that are for volleyball. Lifesaver for me.

And Oh yeah I absolutely can’t wait to get annihilated by some dudes shooting wood stocked 10/22’s with Nikon BDC scopes…if there is a last place trophy, I’m gonna look good holding it 😂

View attachment 417114
BS....you're a Baller. Equipment race alone, you're a Top 20 guy just with Gear. Almost looks like a Meopta on that schitbox....out of all the scopes I watch you buy, test and trade....that make the cut for a Match gun?

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
BS....you're a Baller. Equipment race alone, you're a Top 20 guy just with Gear. Almost looks like a Meopta on that schitbox....out of all the scopes I watch you buy, test and trade....that make the cut for a Match gun?

The Meopta was bought when I was keeping the budget low...but it has done fine lol. Wish it had more MIL's on the windshield for windage holds. Dialed it to 300 and back a lot (which is a shit ton of MILs on a 22LR lol) with no hiccups. I am ashamed to have such a poor optic though :cry: Maybe there will be a NF on the last place prize table :ROFLMAO:

I'm very competitive. Love to compete. Love to watch the shitshow unfold with many guys who are not comfortable with the mental pressures as an Adult. Fumble everything and melt down. But the equipment races really turn me off. Nothing is "cheap" in competing.

What's a box of ammo run in the "budget friendly rimfire" class? $21??

(says the guy who just brought home an $1850 target bow on Friday)..

BLJ

WKR
SK+ is usually $75-$90 a brick. My wife shoots CCI SV and it’s $60 a brick.
You can get to $21 a box easy, but it’s not really necessary for the accuracy needed in one of these shoots.
IMO, if you and your rifle are capable of 1.5-2 MOA and you make good wind calls, you’ll do really well. Maybe not win, but be very competitive.

I'm very competitive. Love to compete. Love to watch the shitshow unfold with many guys who are not comfortable with the mental pressures as an Adult. Fumble everything and melt down. But the equipment races really turn me off. Nothing is "cheap" in competing.

What's a box of ammo run in the "budget friendly rimfire" class? $21??

(says the guy who just brought home an $1850 target bow on Friday)..
CCI SV for $5/box shoots substantially better in my Tikka T1X than the Eley Match ammo does.

It’s normal these days to spend $40-50 just going to the range shoot by yourself for fun these days, do they shoot 500 rounds of .22 LR in a match?

I’m not competing, I have enough hobbies already, but it seems like a fun way for kids to get into it.

A little off topic. I bought a CZ 450 something. The TactiCool model. Tried a decent handful of ammo. Very hard to beat the Norma TAC-22. About 3/4" for 5 shots at 60+ yards. There are piles of that stuff around out West. Usually $99 per 500. I got a few bricks at $42 each direct from Norma a month ago.

I assumed everyone had to run the Lapua X stuff.

Overall best of luck. I am 90% sarcastic. Hope you shoot well. The concept is sound. But like anything grown men compete at....it's a money pit.

I shot a local mid range steel match. About 300-645 yards. Timed stages etc. Parking area was filled with monster trucks. The most Gucci of gear. National big names were there. Dude that owns this website was there. Out of maybe 58-60 shooters....I placed in the top 1/3rd.

I shot (literally) a WalMart SPS Remington in 243 with schitty twist rate and the bigger Bushnell 4-18X. Some was luck. Most of my success was simply attention to detail and not melting down. And giving a schit about the micro stuff. Coriolis, Azimuth, Wind, Baro, etc. Everyone seemed to pay to be Chris Kyle. Few actually were.

Not sure I've ever seen so many grown adults with bank accounts overflowing. Everybody was able to buy a Dragster....not many had a driver's license.