NWT Moose

Brent9477

FNG
Just wanted to share my NWT moose hunt with the Lancaster Family . This hunt was scheduled before Covid , through the process Jim Lancaster stayed intouch with me to give me the up to date news . Between my other hunts planned we worked out 2023 . Jim uses a travel agent a with the fires in the NWT Sandy moved us around got us to camp . First time I’ve used a travel agent for a hunt but won’t be the last . North camp was just like the pictures you see a the surrounding Mckensie’s were awsome . We got our gear unpacked met my guide/ friend Dillon an choppered out to spike camp . Spent the first evening glassing some nice bulls an planning the next days moves . Once fog lifted first morning we went to glassing knob spotted some cows an a small bull . Around 1:00 about a mile away spotted a great bull but decided to stay put a see what he did . Around 3:00 the big bull was still far out so we decided to roll around on the backside of the mountain because that morning waiting for fog to lift we both swore we heard a bull raking bushes . After an hour hike around the mountain we saw a cow an the same small bull from earlier . As we were easing along I saw a pan behind conifer tree an we both stopped . Upon glassing I was shocked to see such a moose standing their with a cow . We were able to get into within 380 yards an 3 shots later with my 300 PRC the bull just fell backwards. He would just flinch everytime the bullet hit him till he fell over . Once down their we ran cow off an I saw the biggest animal I’ve ever seen upclose . Those moose are something to behold . We spent the rest of the day an night getting moose taken care of . Was truly a trip of a lifetime an I can’t thank the Lancasters enough . This was the first time I hunted with those guys but won’t be my last .

Attachments

• 06064CA8-4A9C-4905-9059-02081B35529F.jpeg
    06064CA8-4A9C-4905-9059-02081B35529F.jpeg
    701.5 KB · Views: 190
  • 8EFDC2C5-0CF1-4607-B3AD-DA1DCFA22942.jpeg
    8EFDC2C5-0CF1-4607-B3AD-DA1DCFA22942.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 180

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
The Lancaster’s are good people and a experienced outfitter family.
I have been in the Yukon hunting 5 times but the remoteness of the wilderness in the Mackenzie Mtns in the NWT is a whole different level. I spent nearly 4 weeks up there with the Lancaster’s, it’s a wild and special place. Congrats on a great bull!

Last edited:

Scottf270

WKR
Hunted with Jim and Clay in 2010 and 2012 for moose at Nahanni. Both areas where I killed my moose are now part of the park and likely won't get hunted again.

Jim is superb in every way. Honest, friendly, and very personable. A great organizer. Clay is something else. He and I could be brothers. They are friends now.

I will brag on your moose a bit more. I think it is the largest moose they have taken in 28 years in the NWT. Lucky man and you done well.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
The Lancaster’s are good people and a experienced outfitter family.
I have been in the Yukon hunting 5 times but the remoteness of the wilderness in the Mackenzie Mtns in the NWT is a whole different level. I spent nearly 4 weeks up there with the Lancaster’s, it’s a wild and special place. Congrats on a great bull!
many places in the yukon are really wilderness once you leave the runway, and it is about 90% ...

AKDoc

WKR
Waaaay cool, sir. That's a truly unique bull...the palmation is crazy! The MacKenzie Mountains are extra special!