2023 Moose Success

roymunson

WKR
Was blessed enough to spend 10 days back in the bush with Hidden AK Adventures during the middle of September.

We flew out of anchorage on a 206 Sunday, 9-10. Landed at an old mine landing strip and took a super cub in from there. Once we were settled into camp we got ready to hunt Monday Morning.

We hit it hard each day, calling, scraping, and doing things as right as we could. But it wasn't until the evening of Day 8 when I saw my first bull. A sub legal mid 40" bull that circled us.

Our spirits were lifted and we went to our spot the morning of Day 9 with a hard frost and clear calling conditions. We heard a bull raking that morning, but he never showed.
Evening of Day 9 felt dead. but about 2 hours before dark a sub legal bull ran a cow past us. As we were dejected for yet another small bull, I went back to my glassing spot to sulk. About 10 minutes later I saw a bull in the timberline about 450 yards away. We got a spotting scope on him and the guide said he was a shooter. I was relieved he was there, because I would have been nervous he was too small. (I'm not a great judge in the heat of the moment)

The bull wanted to leave, but Cooper kept calling to him and the bull couldn't make him self believe there wasn't a cow nearby.

We made a mad dash to another stand of trees in the swamp to cut off 150 yards and the bull was raking trees and grunting. Putting on a whole show.

While my heart was thumping from the sprint and excitement, we found the bull at 300 yards and tried to coax him closer. I got a nice rest on a pack up against a tree and waited for him to clear some willows and brush. He finally did, the guide called to stop him and 1 shot from the 300 WSM laid him down.

Turns out to be a 58" bull with 4 brows on each side. The guide had seen the 4 brows and said it was go time.

Died about 1/2 a mile from camp and we took Day 10 to pack him out to the air strip. Thru the swamp.

My goal was to shoot a moose, and to prove to myself that I could go hard for the duration of the hunt. Also wanted to prove I could pack something like that out (with help) and it turns out I could.

My buddy shot his moose the evening of Day 5.

Got to share camp with a good friend, my wife (who is tough as nails), and some good folks guiding us. It's enjoyable to spend time with a high class outfit like Hidden AK. Tony Marchini was top notch. MOOSE 1.jpgBACKSTRAP 1.jpgMOOSE 2.jpgMOOSE 3.jpgMOOSE PACKOUT 2.jpgMOOSE RACK 1.jpgMOOSE RACK 2.jpg

Attachments

• MOOSE BUTCHER 1.jpg
    MOOSE BUTCHER 1.jpg
    549.9 KB · Views: 68

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Very nice! The country we hunt has been hurt from too much snow, wolves n bears. Hey I'm proud for you and your friend. That is a huge effort. Get an atta-boy for that. And an extra atta-boy for harvesting trophy moose, good job

bmrfish

WKR
Outstanding! Half mile pack is no joke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
I can't imagine paying that much money and seeing so few moose on a ten day hunt. Congratulations!

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
Congrats!!! Sounds like one amazing adventure!!
it was a heck of an adventure. I've never gone on a hunt that long or got up every day like that. My wife who's never so much as sat in a deer stand with me was in on the whole thing 100 hours in 9 days.

Incredible views, good people, and a lot of type 2 fun. What's not to love.

hoodb

FNG
Congratulations on your successful moose hunt! It sounds like an incredible adventure with a remarkable bull. Your determination and the experience of sharing it with good company made it even more special.

Evasal

FNG
I will be trying the moose hunting someday with my son . Where is best to hunt it