NX8 SFP vs Tenmile FFP

My season is winding down, only have one late season archery tag left, so time to tinker. I have a rifle that is currently wearing a NX8 4-32 SFP. I have zero complaints with the scope, have two, and never wanted for anything more. I am considering picking up a Tenmile 3-18x44 FFP on sale to replace the NX8. Am I crazy?
I have never owned a FFP scope, shot some friends and was never crazy about it but that was long ago. Benefits would be dropping 5-6oz and FFP. I have had a 3-18x50 tenmile SFP and liked it, glass is maybe a small step down from the NX8 but hardly noticeable.

Talk me in or out of it.

I personally am not a fan of FFP scopes. I have a 4-32 NX8, 5.5-22x56 NXS a 3-18x50 tenmile, 2 5-25x50 tenmiles, one still new in the box. After spending a bunch of time behind all of them I have come to the conclusion that you are splitting hairs with the Tenmile and the NX8 in terms of performance and glass quality. Tenmile is lighter and I actually prefer the reticles in the tenmiles over both nightforces.

SDHNTR

WKR
Absolutely do not want an SFP NX8! 32x is not user friendly at all. Tightens the eyebox, kills fov, makes scope darker. Bad idea all the way around! Unless you just don’t care about your reticle’s subtensions. Get the F1 if considering this scope. It behaves wonderfully between 8-16x where you will use it most of the time.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38
Absolutely do not want an SFP NX8! 32x is not user friendly at all. Tightens the eyebox, kills fov, makes scope darker. Bad idea all the way around! Unless you just don’t care about your reticle’s subtensions. Get the F1 if considering this scope. It behaves wonderfully between 8-16x where you will use it most of the time.
I have two and have been using them for a few years. It’s a non issue for me, I don’t use the scope on 32x, have no issues and like the scope. The reticle subtensions are usable at 16x and I typically dial.
Just wondering between those two if it’s worth trying the tenmile FFP, I see the benefit of being able to measure misses with reticle at any mag and not having to dial if the situation changes quickly. Only between the NX8 I have or Tenmile.

I am not sure any of that is true. I use mine on 32x all the time. Its an awesome scope. Do you even own one?

I have somewhere between 7-9 NX8’s. Most on SFP. A few in FFP. Optically they are the same. Same eye box, same FOV etc IMO,. But I just won’t use the FFP for hunting. I don’t like having to rely on the illumination to see the reticle on anything under about eight power when it gets slightly dim or dark out.

The FFP NX8’s are not what I prefer for hunting.
I’m a huge FFP fan, just in other optics and not the NX8.

Last edited:

Marshfly

WKR
The ability to have subtensions work at any zoom for holding wind and measuring when a hit is off is huge for me. FFP all the way for a longer range scope.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38
I have somewhere between 7-9 NX8’s. Most on SFP. A few in FFP. Optically they are the same. Same eye box, same FOV etc. But I just won’t I use the FFP for hunting. I don’t like having to rely on the illumination to see the reticle on anything under about eight power when it gets slightly dim or dark out.

The FFP NX8’s are not what I prefer for hunting.
I’m a huge FFP fan, just in other optics and not the NX8.
I’ve been the same way, SFP preferred for my entire life, just wondering if maybe the grass is greener….

I’ve been the same way, SFP preferred for my entire life, just wondering if maybe the grass is greener….
Its not. I go through this process every couple years. I talk myself into buying an FFP scope, hunt with it, hate it, sell it or trade it for an SFP scope, then repeat.

I do the same thing with MILs. I currently have a tenmile mil scope I am likely going to trade for moa.

SDHNTR

WKR
A
I am not sure any of that is true. I use mine on 32x all the time. It’s an awesome scope. Do you even own one?
I absolutely do. To each their own. It’s definitely an awesome scope. I just greatly value fov and user friendliness (to me). The last 10x or so is unnecessary (to me). I wish it were an NX5.

Last edited:
OP
Turkeygetpwnd38
Its not. I go through this process every couple years. I talk myself into buying an FFP scope, hunt with it, hate it, sell it or trade it for an SFP scope, then repeat.

I do the same thing with MILs. I currently have a tenmile mil scope I am likely going to trade for moa.
I made the switch to MILs after a lifetime of MOA, on year two and getting used to it

Flyjunky

WKR
A

I absolutely do. To each their own. It’s definitely an awesome scope. I just greatly value fov and user friendliness (to me). The last 10x or so is unnecessary (to me). I wish it were an NX5.
NX8 user here as well in sfp. The only time I use 24x-32x is when shooting for groups at distance. I'm with you though in that I'd love to see a NX6 in something like a 4-24.
The ability to have subtensions work at any zoom for holding wind and measuring when a hit is off is huge for me. FFP all the way for a longer range scope.
The subtensions do work at 16x as well as 32, and if you have it memorized you can use them at 8x as well although it's not very user friendly. Unless you're talking about measuring misses on paper I don't get the sfp vs ffp in hunting situations. No matter the power your scope is on if you can spot your shot/miss you should be able to adjust as long as you don't change the power on your scope between shots.

Marshfly

WKR
NX8 user here as well in sfp. The only time I use 24x-32x is when shooting for groups at distance. I'm with you though in that I'd love to see a NX6 in something like a 4-24.

The subtensions do work at 16x as well as 32, and if you have it memorized you can use them at 8x as well although it's not very user friendly. Unless you're talking about measuring misses on paper I don't get the sfp vs ffp in hunting situations. No matter the power your scope is on if you can spot your shot/miss you should be able to adjust as long as you don't change the power on your scope between shots.

The wind hold is the biggest thing really. I don’t even look at what power my scope is on. I get into the rifle, turn the zoom ring to comfortable, and do my business. Making sure it is on some specific power and doing math…just no.

But that’s why we have options. There’s no better. Only preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyjunky

WKR
The wind hold is the biggest thing really. I don’t even look at what power my scope is on. I get into the rifle, turn the zoom ring to comfortable, and do my business. Making sure it is on some specific power and doing math…just no.

But that’s why we have options. There’s no better. Only preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yep, totally agree with that. I'm considering moving my main two rifles to ffp for the very reasons you mentioned, although a sfp hasn't held me back yet on shooting long.

Now, if nf made an 4-24 sfp where the subtensions at both 24 and 12 were accurate I would stay with sfp. I tend to shoot around 12 a lot.

SDHNTR

WKR
My problem with that is that 4 Moa hashmarks at 16x are not very precise. There can be a lot of real estate between 0-4 moa wind holds.

Wrench

WKR
yep, totally agree with that. I'm considering moving my main two rifles to ffp for the very reasons you mentioned, although a sfp hasn't held me back yet on shooting long.

Now, if nf made an 4-24 sfp where the subtensions at both 24 and 12 were accurate I would stay with sfp. I tend to shoot around 12 a lot.
If you could stretch that 12 to 16....the cf2d is a close solution.

My favorite 12x scope is the lrhs.

Flyjunky

WKR
If you could stretch that 12 to 16....the cf2d is a close solution.

My favorite 12x scope is the lrhs.
I have the sfp 4-32 and use the 16x when I can but also have the 8x memorized but the hashes at 8x values aren't that useful. I love the scope though.

Wrench

WKR
I wish they'd make a click detent at the power settings so we knew we hit the same exact spot/s on the power ring.