Obligatory first post

Good afternoon everyone,

After many months of lurking, I’m finally making the commitment and dedicating myself to elk hunting over the next couple of years. I have been inspired by the many posts, as well as the challenge that elk hunting presents. Although I have many years of whitetail experience, I like the opportunity of the western states and what memories could be made on such adventures.

Being in Florida (but a native Texan), I recognize I have a lot to learn but the intellectual capital of this forum is astounding.

My plans tentatively are to apply in NM, CO, and potentially MT rifle seasons. Due to certain circumstances, it is possible that I can do an outfitted hunt in NM (long story) but other states would be a DIY situation. Will probably try to draw some first rifle (no pref points so of course units with favorable odds at this stage) in CO with backup plan being OTC. Still trying to figure out MT.

I appreciate how helpful everyone is here as we are all working toward the same goal. Time to start building up my backcountry gear!

Beendare

WKR
Best of luck.
Ive been hunting elk every year for almost 4 decades and with the demand going through the roof for elk tags, Im trying to find a good tag myself next year (that doesn’t cost $9,000)

It used to be we were one of the few hunters with a bow in the woods .... and I could draw a non res elk tag in Az every few years....oh how things have changed.

All is not lost, The good news for you is there’s a lot of information out there now

Mikido

WKR
Good afternoon everyone,

After many months of lurking, I’m finally making the commitment and dedicating myself to elk hunting over the next couple of years. I have been inspired by the many posts, as well as the challenge that elk hunting presents. Although I have many years of whitetail experience, I like the opportunity of the western states and what memories could be made on such adventures.

Being in Florida (but a native Texan), I recognize I have a lot to learn but the intellectual capital of this forum is astounding.

My plans tentatively are to apply in NM, CO, and potentially MT rifle seasons. Due to certain circumstances, it is possible that I can do an outfitted hunt in NM (long story) but other states would be a DIY situation. Will probably try to draw some first rifle (no pref points so of course units with favorable odds at this stage) in CO with backup plan being OTC. Still trying to figure out MT.

I appreciate how helpful everyone is here as we are all working toward the same goal. Time to start building up my backcountry gear!
Good luck!

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome, I've been on two elk Hunts, Montana and Colorado. Both diy archery and no elk were harmed. I had some friends go outfitted in New Mexico at the same time I was Diy in Montana last year. They did way better, but also paid like $6k. Whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy the adventure.