Odd marks in hand loads

disquek

FNG
These are 300WM hand load I paid a gunsmith to load for me. New Lapua brass and 180g Accubonds.

Any idea what caused these marks? Should I be ok with this?

I'd say over half of the 80 they loaded for me have these marks in them.

Thank you for your help.

_H6hWdGyRuSmT9eUYZkLEg.jpg
8b8oyoqySpChPx7c9i0oYg.jpg
hHKPiX2oQSKgy8LAYrlRGg.jpg
IXj7sCZcQKKfVlKG9FvJ2w.jpg
n7djEQoLRs-4UnsrJbg6Nw.jpg

Pgohil

WKR
Do you think it'll affect the POI at all?
Negative. Maybe in bench rest. shooting at extreme lone ranges it would show up but before even an above average shooter I can't see it making enough difference to ever be able to tell

OP
D

disquek

FNG
Thanks. These are for a Montana elk hunt where I'd expect to shoot out to 500 yards.

I do plan to test some before I go.

But I was looking for some thoughts about if I should ask the gunsmith who loaded these to replace them. I certainly didn't pay for seconds.

Pgohil

WKR
Yeah, you need to have an open and Frank discussion with him. I'll somehow thought you brought all the components and he just loaded them.

OP
D

disquek

FNG
Thanks! That was my plan. I was trying to get educated here first. I provided only the brass (new Lapua).

packer58

WKR
Yes those look to be seconds / blems. They should shoot just fine, however, the shop that loaded these for you should have been VERY clear with you and verbalized the use of blems.

BBob

WKR
Any idea what caused these marks?
Folds when getting pointed in the point up die. If you look closely at almost any open tipped (or plastic tipped) hollow point you will see evenly spaced very small lines in the jacket right where these are. The jacket folds and compresses when squeezed up into the point die. These probably weren't lubed properly.

OP
D

disquek

FNG
Gunsmith says these dents/marks/divots won't affect POI.

I contacted Nosler also, they don't know what it is nor would they comment on if it would influence POI.

The only paths forward are to either test it (and I'm not sure I'd trust that - they're all different) or just flush that batch (of 80) and start over with different ammo.

Hard to swallow this kind of obvious flaw when it's for a once-in-a-lifetime hunt and I've gone to a lot of trouble to get very high end equipment and training. Ugh .... 2023 ....

OP
D

disquek

FNG
Update: Google was my friend today. "Lube dents". I found the link below.

I also called Nosler. These dents are caused by excess lube in the die.

Looks like the gunsmith bought these low grade blem bullets. I checked the batch more carefully and it's all of them. Some worse than others.

Last edited:

Looks like the gunsmith bought these low grade blem bullets. I checked the batch more carefully and it's all of them. Some worse than others.

If he passed along the savings to you, and they shoot good, fine.

If he charged you full price, I'd be demanding a refund regardless of how they shoot. They certainly don't breed any confidence, and that matters on a bucket list hunt.

OP
D

disquek

FNG
lol!

No, there was no discussion of low grade blem bullets. I texted him about it. Let's see what he says.

I've put a bunch of time and effort into this. New rifle is a Proof MTR. New optic is a NF. I've done two long range schools (one done by this gunsmith). Been out hiking with heavy packs three days a week. You know the drill. No way I'd say "Sure, let's use dented bullets to save $30".

My thoughts are the accuracy will be unaffected.

Just a hunch though, I don’t have first hand experience with these.

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
@disquek , I’d be concerned if he also used whatever leftover powder he had that may not have been a good choice for 300WM, but he just wanted to get rid of it. Same for primers. He might’ve given you the leftovers & culls.

I’ve loaded & shot almost a full 100 count bag of Nosler 6.5 ABLR blems from Shooters Pro for load testing & range practice out to 600 yards, less maybe 4-5 bullets. They shot fine & appearance wise they look perfect & you can’t tell them apart from a good, new Nosler box of same. They also shoot the same 1/2”ish groups out of my 6.5-284. However, these are just the regular blems and not the “C” blems.

Rich M

WKR
He screwed you. Those are not lube dents, they are blems.

You've got $X$ thousands tied up in this hunt - shoot those dented suckers for practice and buy 4 boxes of factory for the hunt itself. Use 1 box to verify zero at home, 2nd box to verify zero when you get there, have 2 boxes on hand "just in case" and to shoot critter.

I also called Nosler. These dents are caused by excess lube in the die.

Why would there be lube in a seating die? He not cleaning his brass after sizing?

Those low grade belm bullets is all I shoot.....critters still die and they don't know the difference.

WCB

WKR
I'd be more worried about shooting someone else's hand loads...even more so a "gunsmith's".

Realistically all things considered they will probably shoot just fine. Hell you could rip the tips off bullets and nobody would be able to tell 500 yards and in. Main thing bullet wise would be terminal performance. are those dents going to act like skiving and cause the bullet to open abnormally.