OFFICIAL Peterson Cartridge Customer Support Thread

OP
Peterson Cartridge Co
I had seen that you offer 300 WM in the "Long" version. I had briefly seen 7mm rem mag in the same "Long" version. Do you still offer the 7mm Rem mag "Long" versi

Can you tell us which cartridges yall are planning on producing that you're not currently?
6mm ARC, 300 WSM & 270 WSM are in development and will hopefully be completed this year!

OP
Peterson Cartridge Co
I am happy to see Peterson Cartridge Co is headquartered so close to where I live. Could you provide some information on how you determine when to support a new cartridge and any new cartridges you might be supporting soon? Of the cartridges I'm set up to reload, none are in your current lineup. That probably just means I need to build another rifle.
We are proud to be located just North of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the USA! We would be happy to have you in for a tour if you’re ever nearby, shoot me an email or give me a ring to set it up. [email protected] 724-940-7552 x201 (David Fleeger – Customer Support)

New caliber development for us is paused for 2024 as we are working on finishing a few projects and trying to keep our current line of offerings available as regularly as possible! Decisions on what cartridges we adopt depends on a multitude of things, we have a New Cartridge Development team that meets regularly to discuss these topics. The market, what is the demand for this casing? We keep a running tracker of all the cartridges requested and how many times it’s been requested (I have already added the requests from this thread to it!). Difficulty and cost of development, new cartridges can be in excess of $500k for development & engineering of tooling and can take several years. This is especially prevalent when we have to design a new cup, new dies, and new material handling parts. Are we able to take this project on, we already struggle keeping our current casings in stock due to high demand (good problem 😉), we don’t want to disappoint customers with having to wait several years for their chambering to be produced again. For example, .243 Win just ran recently for the first time in 3+ years… This was unfortunately due to Covid setbacks as that is still an unfortunate struggle for manufacturing companies. We also can’t possibly manufacture our 50+ offerings in a calendar year, even with 24/7 production in our 3 cells!

You definitely need to build another rifle! 😁

Reactions: 9.1
@Peterson Cartridge Co I appreciate your work getting out some early 22 Creedmoor load data. Will you be publishing more data for the cartridge? It seems like many in the reloading data space have yet to release much data for the cartridge, and for those that have (Hodgdon) some popular powder/bullet combos among handloaders have not been addressed.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
Another request for 6.8 Western! Great to see the WSMs on the list for this year. Out of curiosity do you need any sort of permission from the designer of a cartridge like Hornady for prc, et all to make brass or once goes to saami it is open to all?

Lou

Lawnboi

WKR
I know you said no plans but let me sell you on making 223.

Used for more than hunting, many competition shooters are either shooting or training with 223. We need brass that lasts a long time.

Lapua can’t keep up.
Alpha isn’t making it.
ADG isn’t making it.

The closest we can get to decent brass is buying loaded ammo, dealing with lower grade brass or dealing with removing primer crimps.

Unfortunately, business decisions usually mean to stay in business. If it's not being made, or not planned to be made, there's not enough money to be made.