OFFICIAL Peterson Cartridge Customer Support Thread

In this thread, we at Peterson Cartridge Co will try to answer any customer support questions regarding our products in a timely manner!

Peterson Cartridge Co is a family-owned, American manufacturer of match-grade, brass rifle casings that is among the most precise and consistent on the market, delivering discerning long-distance shooters sub-MOA accuracy. For more information on Peterson Cartridge or to purchase our match-grade brass casings visit www.petersoncartridge.com
Metallic Banner.jpg
We proudly offer Ballistician Testing Data for EVERY Lot # of brass we manufacture here at Peterson Cartridge! This data can be accessed on our website from our home page. Click on the Technical tab, go to the Ballistician Testing Data drop down, then click on the blue link:
Peterson Cartridge Ballistician Testing Data – AMP Aztec Codes
This link will bring up a data sheet to which you can search for the exact Lot # of brass you have and find a cartridge’s technical information you are in search of! We also include AMP Aztec Codes for customers that have an Annealing Made Perfect induction annealer. This prevents the sacrificial burning of a piece of brass to obtain your specific code!

Last edited:

WKR
I am happy to see Peterson Cartridge Co is headquartered so close to where I live. Could you provide some information on how you determine when to support a new cartridge and any new cartridges you might be supporting soon? Of the cartridges I'm set up to reload, none are in your current lineup. That probably just means I need to build another rifle.

OP
Peterson Cartridge Co
Welcome. I'm glad you're here. I like your 284 win brass. Please make more.

Also please make 300wsm and 300saum. People would buy it.
Hello! We're glad to hear the 284 Win is working well for you!
300 WSM is in development, hopefully it'll be completed this year! We unfortunately have no plans for 300 SAUM.

wyosam

WKR
I know it’s a long shot, but a run of 7x57 to fill a void for that and the cartridges based on that case would be amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Peterson Cartridge Co
What are your thoughts between large pocket and small pocket brass in cartridges that have the option between either?

What considerations should go into choosing the correct one for a shooter's application?
The discussion of Small vs. Large Primer Pocket becomes somewhat of a folktale when you're dealing with our brass. SRP casings were seen as superior previously as primer pocket life was found to be extended compared to the LRP. This was believed to be due to more physical material around the pocket causing it to "stretch less". And this may very well have been the case for other companies... The main 2 reasons you'll find are the cause of decreased primer pocket life are, the head hardness and the virgin case primer pocket dimensions. And of course loading over pressure, but that is user error! Our case heads are manufactured to a proper hardness and carefully monitored each shift with Vickers hardness testing. Other companies "back in the day" and currently produce their brass in a cheaper less consistent manner resulting in soft case heads which leads to primer pockets becoming loose prematurely. We also hold extremely tight tolerances for our primer pocket dimension as these are tested throughout each day as parts from every basket are inspected and measured by our cell operators. Our 24/7 Level 2 Inspector also double checks all of these dimensions in our lab on an optical comparator throughout the manufacturing process.
Our procedures result in an extremely uniform and properly designed primer pocket that will last for many reloads.

So, the comparison for the two, we find no major benefits to using a small primer pocket to extend the life of our casings. With proper engineering, our LRP and SRP casings will last for a very similar amount of firings. As far as performance goes, it was thought that SRP gives you more consistency and accuracy... We have found no proof of this. A negative feedback that we do hear occasionally is that SRP brass does not perform well in cold weather conditions.

When people ask us this question, the proper answer truly is: What size primers do you have access to?

Note: All of our LRP casings have a 0.80 flash hole, SRP has a 0.60 flash hole.

Last edited:
The discussion of Small vs. Large Primer Pocket becomes somewhat of a folktale when you're dealing with our brass. SRP casings were seen as superior previously as primer pocket life was found to be extended compared to the LRP. This was believed to be due to more physical material around the pocket causing it to "stretch less". And this may very well have been the case for other companies... The main 2 reasons you'll find are the cause of decreased primer pocket life are, the head hardness and the virgin case primer pocket dimensions. And of course loading over pressure, but that is user error! Our case heads are manufactured to a proper hardness and carefully monitored each shift with Vickers hardness testing. Companies "back in the day" and currently produce their brass in a cheaper less consistent manner resulting in soft case heads which leads to primer pockets becoming loose prematurely. We also hold very tight tolerances for our primer pocket dimension as these are tested throughout each day as parts from every basket are inspected and measured by our operators. Our level 2 inspector also double checks all of these measurements in our lab.
Our procedures result in an extremely uniform and properly designed primer pocket that will last for many reloads.

So, the comparison for the two, we find no major benefits to using a small primer pocket to extend the life of our casings. With proper engineering, our LRP and SRP casings will last for a very similar amount of firings. As far as performance goes, it is thought that SRP gives you more consistency and accuracy... We have found no proof of this. A negative feedback that we hear occasionally is that SRP brass does not perform well in cold weather conditions.
When people ask us this question, the proper answer truly is: What size primers do you have access to?

Note: All of our LRP casings have a 0.80 flash hole, SRP has a 0.60 flash hole.

Your statement on LRP vs SRP make sense when sticking to saami pressures. Do you test primer pocket longevity on pressures over saami max to determine if there is a difference?

There is certainly a large portion of your customers that shoot loads over max saami, likely most being the bench and F class competition type shooters.

I would not call it "user error". Many know they are over pressure and are fine with that, gauging their own pressure concerns on ejector marks, pierced primers, etc, some of which are masked a bit by cartridge design and chamber finish.

Testing the cases LRP vs SRP longevity wouldn't really promote users loading over pressure with SRP. That is their choice.

OP
Peterson Cartridge Co
Your statement on LRP vs SRP make sense when sticking to saami pressures. Do you test primer pocket longevity on pressures over saami max to determine if there is a difference?

There is certainly a large portion of your customers that shoot loads over max saami, likely most being the bench and F class competition type shooters.

I would not call it "user error". Many know they are over pressure and are fine with that, gauging their own pressure concerns on ejector marks, pierced primers, etc, some of which are masked a bit by cartridge design and chamber finish.

Testing the cases LRP vs SRP longevity wouldn't really promote users loading over pressure with SRP. That is their choice.
Hello!
We have a universal receiver that allows us to safely test pressures of casings along with velocity in conjunction with our commercial chronograph system. We purposely torture test our casings to test them effectively and thoroughly. While our casings can often withstand loads over SAAMI Max standards, we Do Not recommend it. Many of our competitive shooters find velocity nodes well under SAAMI book max. Many reloaders try to max out their cartridges to the point of being unsafe and unnecessary. For example, if you have a 6.5 Creedmoor, you should not be trying to achieve velocities of a 26 Nosler... Some reloaders need to know their cartridges limits and stay within them! If you want that type of velocity, you need to get a cartridge that will achieve that velocity safely like it was designed to do! We have not conducted a test for this specific experiment but I can inform you that under our normal testing, both SRP & LRP variants surpass 20+ firings and reloads. Our casings sometimes have a lesser internal volume than our competitors, as we notate in our packaging, this is due to being a better built piece of brass!
We do not promote one variant over the other, and we certainly don't promote loading over pressure. It usually comes down to whether the customer has a surplus of small or large rifle primers on hand.

OP
Peterson Cartridge Co
Just wanted to say thanks for running 243 brass recently. I was able to snag some that I much needed. Now if the dam post office would deliver it!
You are most welcome! Thank you for your patience, that was the first time we were able to run .243 Win in 3+ years! Please let us know if you are having difficulties with a distributor of ours.