Oklahoma WMAs

Hello everyone, last year I was living in Ohio and killed my first whitetail and I have gotten the bug since then. Since moving back to NM I have been looking into hunting Oklahoma public land hunts to scratch the itch. I’m wondering if anyone has experience hunting the WMAs in the northwest corner of the state. Primarily Beaver River and Optima. I am not looking for any giant bucks or anything crazy like that. Just looking to see if there are decent deer numbers with the opportunity to harvest a buck. Thank you guys for any information. If need be I can trade information from NM to help with your western hunt. Thanks again.

I haven't hunted those particular WMA's but I have hunted black kettle, packsaddle and the grasslands in that area... there are definitely deer. But there are definitely people too.
20201004_142637.jpg
Shot this buck out packsaddle.

OP
E
Awesome! Thank you sir! Is the pressure as high during archery season? I’m only planning on doing archery hunting, I’m not a fan of the orange army.

Awesome! Thank you sir! Is the pressure as high during archery season? I’m only planning on doing archery hunting, I’m not a fan of the orange army.
Pressure definitely isn't as high during archery..but up its pretty open country... good thing about that.. if you do find trees there will be shade and you know the deer are going to use it.

OP
E
Thank you for advice!! Should I be bringing my climber stand? Or would I be better off hunting from the ground or finding a hang on that might work better in the smaller trees?

Id go hang on.. these aren't your typical Ohio hardwoods..you know nice strait and no limbs until 20ft... you'll be looking at cottonwood and smaller trees.

skeen

FNG
I hunted Optima two years ago. Lots of buck sign and I saw quite a few deer but couldn't seal deal. I went in blind having never hunted it before. Knowing the lay of the land now, I'd feel pretty confident going back.

Bowhunting it is tough, it's pretty open. With rifle I could see knockin' 'em down pretty easily.