Old Kenmore or new Brother xr9500?

My SIL has given me a choice between the two above sewing machines. I'm told the Kenmore works fine while the Brother is brand new in the box. I'm a total newbie looking to make stuff sacks and small repairs. Just trying to figure out which one I should grab.

Thx!

dotman

WKR
I went with a new singer 4423 HD. Can sew multiple layers of cordura and thick leather plus sil. Overstock has coupons and no tax, got mine shipped for $128. Haven't sewn anything yet but seems like a good all around machine. I'm going to make a few pullouts and then an under quilt for my Helinox cot.

Free is good but might not be best. Kind of wonder why is she giving away a brand new in box machine.

Lil-Rokslider
I went with a 1956 Singer 401A. My wife has a newer sewing machine but there is no comparison. I would probably go with the old Kenmore if it was me.

OP
BroodBuster
Dotman,
For every 10 projects my SIL starts she finishes zero. I'm just helping clear some of the clutter :).

marcb

FNG
If the old kenmore is anything like the one I have it will bust through anything you put under it without issue. I currently have 2 machines and old kenmore and and old Pfaff. The kenmore is cam driven and i don't have the cams - so no zigzag. The kenmore is in a cabinet. So I use that one when I can and then close the cabinet and switch to the Pfaff for zigzag,bartack, etc.

I never tried on the kenmore but the pfaff will bust through 1/4" of shoe leather and make a tight seam. Don't try that alot but it was nice to do the one long strip I needed.

Sight unseen, I would go with the Kenmore. Many of the newer machines have nylon "plastic" gears and internals. The older machines are more likely to have metal internals. For most outdoor projects, you only need two stitch types, straight and zig-zag.