Old school broadheads anyone?

Blackhawk45hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I know the higher tech broad heads are all the rage now, but does anyone use the old school Bear Razorheads or Zwickeys anymore?

Right now I’m using Zwickey Eskimos with 125 grain broadhead adapters for a total point weight of 250 grains. The eskimos take and hold a screaming edge and they’re crazy cheap so I won’t lose sleep over losing one.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've killed several critters with Ace broadheads. Hard to beat the price, and dead is dead. You do your part they'll certainly do theirs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I know the higher tech broad heads are all the rage now, but does anyone use the old school Bear Razorheads or Zwickeys anymore?

Right now I’m using Zwickey Eskimos with 125 grain broadhead adapters for a total point weight of 250 grains. The eskimos take and hold a screaming edge and they’re crazy cheap so I won’t lose sleep over losing one.

What is your bow and arrow set up along with the speeds. I have always wanted to shoot a head like the eskimos but could never get them to spin well enough to shoot out of my compunds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Blackhawk45hunter

Blackhawk45hunter

Lil-Rokslider
What is your bow and arrow set up along with the speeds. I have always wanted to shoot a head like the eskimos but could never get them to spin well enough to shoot out of my compunds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m shooting a Pearson made Locksley Lion recurve that draws at 50 lbs.
my arrows are Carbon Express Heritage 150s cut to 29.5” with 3 4” turkey feathers and a 15 grain aluminum insert.

Haven’t chronoed it, but the 3 Rivers spine calculator estimates around 165 FPS.

It hits like a freight train.

I’m shooting Tusker condorde single bevel 250gr. They are pretty cheap, pretty easy to sharpen and performed well on two whitetails last fall. Best part is they shoot great in my setup without having to mess with inserts or anything like that.

Btaylor

WKR
Zwickey 4 blades and woodsmans are what I have the most of but also have a few Bear razorheads and still have 3 165 grain silverflames that I snagged when Markus stopped making that size. Have killed with all of them and they all work well if I put them where they are suppose to go.

Beendare

WKR
My buddy used to be the Bear archery rep decades ago.....

He had given me a whole box of those Bear Razorheads.....the old 145gr-ers. But as he got caught up in the "New" replaceable blade heads....so did I and I gave them to a guide buddy down in AZ.....

what a stupid move, eh?

Tested some Tuskers on hogs...very impressed. Ordered another 12 and going to go full on this year for deer, elk, antelope. $10 ship from Australia (they quote AUS dollars so ends up 20% less). Rock solid and can be ordered honed with their "wicked sharp" service for just a few bucks a head.

Ive shot Zwicky (every head they make), Magnus, grizzly and cutthroats over the years. They all work just the same... I started bowhunting with a self bow, self arrow tipped with points I knap. only a few years ago did I start shooting modern recurves. everything just has to be made more complicated that it actually is with traditional archery.

PHo

WKR
I’m using Razorheads and Zwickeys on my setups this year. Mostly because they have a really long record of success and partly because I think sharpening a broadhead with a mill bastard file is pretty cool.

GLB

WKR
Yes, I have used Magnus, Ace and Zwickey 2 blades for years on my wood shafts. This year I am trying the single bevel Cutthroats along with carbon arrows.
I dropped down in bow weight and want to take advantage of what they have to offer in increased penetration for my moose hunt this year.

PHo

WKR
I started using the zwickey eskimos. Does anyone have any tips for sharpening? Best stones, files, techniques, etc?

A good mill bastard file is all you'll need. You can hone it with a fine stone after initial sharpening but I find it unnecessary.