Older Delorme InReach Explorer or SE vs Newer Garmin Explorer

FIRE_TX

FNG
Hi, I'm new to Rokslide. I'm a huge offshore fisherman that is starting to get into hiking and hunting. I've been considering getting an InReach for awhile. Are the older DeLorme's still supported and how do they compare to the newer Garmin's? I use my phone for GPS and would use the Earthmate App for messaging. Would the SE be sufficient? Curious for those that have some experience with the units in the field. Any other suggestions? I mostly want to have in case of emergency and also keep in touch with my wife when I'm out of range. Backup GPS is a nice to have feature but generally less concerned.

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
I can only speak to the old DeLorme units. But my yellow SE has been flawless on many adventures for the past 8 or so years. 🪵

come2elmo

WKR
I have the SE and have the identical use case you describe. It has been just fine over the last 3 or so years. I like having the screen for very basic nav if my phone goes offline and couldn't justify the cost delta to go up to the explorer.

OP
F

FIRE_TX

FNG
I have the SE and have the identical use case you describe. It has been just fine over the last 3 or so years. I like having the screen for very basic nav if my phone goes offline and couldn't justify the cost delta to go up to the explorer.
What app are you using for GPS? I see GAIA is highly recommended here. I created some my own maps using ArcGIS Explorer (mostly for offshore) and have used AllTrails for hiking.

come2elmo

WKR
I use onX. Interface is enough for what I use it for. Gaia basemap etc have way more layers to play with but when I am in the field I just need fast and simple. Since I and slow and real simple.

OP
F

FIRE_TX

FNG
I use onX. Interface is enough for what I use it for. Gaia basemap etc have way more layers to play with but when I am in the field I just need fast and simple. Since I and slow and real simple.
Thanks for the feedback