Older Hunters

Maybe go to a 300 yard range and see how it shoots first ? New scopes are nice and it can't hurt , other than the cost ?
Yea...that is what I'm going to do for sure, but while I'm waiting for a replacement dust cover for the bolt I thought I'd tap member wisdom just to see if everyone thinks this gun/scope combo should work. Then, when it doesn't I'll know it's me.

87TT

WKR
I have an old M99 Savage in 300 Sav. It had an old Weaver K4 , 4 power scope That was mounted on with Bueler base and rings. The last deer I shot with it was 195 yards offhand. I have a lot of open country around here and my old eyes sure like a little brighter scope in the low light. Had a gunsmith friend replace the base and rings with a Leupold set and threw on a Vortex scope I had on the shelf. Shot it out to 300. And at 100 it shot two three shot groups that were one big hole.

I think this "Over Sixty Hunter Forum" is where I'll spend a lot of time. I'm 61 and t's always encouraging to see other "old folks" still getting out. I had a total knee replacement four years ago and was out elk hunting about four months later. Still going strong. I'm even running on it now to keep in shape for hunting seasons. Still hauling a fairly heavy pack on backpacking trips and hunting adventures. I figure if I wear this one out, I can always get another!

IMG_5704.jpg