Older Traditions pursuit LT

Bagman066

FNG
I was gifted an older never fired Traditions Pursuit LT .50 Cal. I believe they were sold in Sears around the early 2000s. I plan to use it this season and would like some insight before using it. Has anyone any experience with this muzzleloader? Is it safe to fire Blackhorn 209 with 63 grains by weight and a 245 grain Powerbelt? Thank you in advance for your help.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
I went to the Traditions manual page and couldn't find a Pursuit LT manual, but there was a regular Pursuit Accelerator manual, a non-accelerator manual, an XT manual, and some G4 and Northwest edition manuals.
Anyway, under the Pursuit Accelerator manual it recommended only real BP, Pyrodex or other substitute, or Triple 7 as a powder (reduce Triple7 by 15%).
I didn't look to me like Blackhorn 209 was ok to use.
Since I couldn't find the exact manual for an LT, the best bet would be to call Traditions and find out for sure. I wouldn't use BH209 until finding out for sure.

birdog

FNG
Friend of mine has an older Traditions Pursuit Pro Hunter .50 (I think that's what it's called). I emailed Traditions for him and asked them about the breech plug and BH and was told they do not have a BH plug but the plug that came with it is BH compatible. I sent the plug to Badger Ridge to get it drilled out for a ventliner and now surprisingly it shoots pretty good bullet to bore. Not so good with a sabot. The trigger is terrible but if you really focus on your trigger pull it doesn't do too bad. I believe he is shooting .84gr by weight BH and a 300gr .503 Thor Hammer bullet.
I would send Traditions an email to confirm your particular gun is BH compatible.

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pursuit lt. Bought new in 2006. It's been great. Has taken an antelope, a few mulies, coyotes, a moose, and a couple whitetail. I use bh209 no problem. It was rated up to 150gr of 777 and I shot that a few times but didn't find the need. I'll find out what my load is and report back. I believe its around 65gr by weight and a 250gr sst.

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
Just looked at my notes, I'm shooting 80gr by weight and 105gr by volume of bh209 with a 250 sst. That gives me about 1880fps and good accuracy. Using winchester 209 primers. That load is perfectly safe in my rifle. I've used 3x50triple 7 pellets and that gave me a bit better than 2000 fps but sd was all over and accuracy wasn't great. I may have to go back to 777 if bh209 doesn't make a comeback in canada.

OP
B

Bagman066

FNG
Just looked at my notes, I'm shooting 80gr by weight and 105gr by volume of bh209 with a 250 sst. That gives me about 1880fps and good accuracy. Using winchester 209 primers. That load is perfectly safe in my rifle. I've used 3x50triple 7 pellets and that gave me a bit better than 2000 fps but sd was all over and accuracy wasn't great. I may have to go back to 777 if bh209 doesn't make a comeback in canada.
Thanks so much for the information.

OP
B

Bagman066

FNG
I went out and shot the BK 209 with 90 gr by volume or around 63 gr by weight and a 245 gr PB Aerotip. The Pursuit LT fired fine (whew) and I was able to accurately fire 12 rounds. Thank you so much for your help, and with my confidence.