One Action, Two Barrels?

7CB4A400-9CAC-4AE7-B32E-C6A8C9E6222B.jpegGday

I shoot at the moment mostly hunting, but also do some long range, PRS type and f class all with the same rifle setup, which is set up mostly for hunting.

I’m curious is anyone using a custom action and interchangeable barrels say, from a carbon for hunting, to a thick steel for target.

I would maybe even like to have a different stocks for either hunting or target.

I don’t shoot heaps during the year maybe 600-700 rounds and I think having 2 rifles, 2 scopes (high end ) and 2 sets of dies ammo and components is a waste for me.

If anyone has action recommendations that can facilitate easy changes between carbon and steel I’m all ears

Pic of my rifle now for some attention

Mds2004

FNG
I think that most any actions you can purchase a prefit barrel for would work. Just purchase an action wrench and barrel vise and you will be good.

For example, buy a Defiance action, and two prefit barrels for the action, and you should be good to go. As you mentioned you may need another stock depending on barrow contour and purpose for each barrel.

I do not personally own one, yet. But my shooting partner owns an impact 737r that has that capability, which is what my purchase will be when that time comes for me. As Mds2004 also said Defiance is a great option as well.

Yes, google West Texas Ordnance switch lug. You can do barrel swaps with action tools, or with barrel nuts (I have those as well) but the WTO lug is the best way I have found to mix and match barrels. I have 4 barrels ranging from 25 caliber mountain countour all the way to a 45 caliber bull barrel that I can swap back and forth between 2 different bedded stocks.

rayporter

WKR
i have a couple remingtons and a couple bats and a couple kelbly pandas with many barrels for each.

all mine are shouldered barrels with no nut, so no gauges are needed to change out a barrel. if fact you could screw them on hand tight and shoot them - i did that once when i did not have a barrel vise handy on a panda.

You can do exactly that with your tikka - carbon pre-fit for hunting, then a heavy varmint/m24 profile steel barrel for target shooting.

Have a stock cut for the proof sendero carbon barrel and you will not need a second stock for the steel barrel.

There are several shops that can cut pre-fit barrels for you.

OP
R
Rusty, what brand of stock is that, looks nice.
They are an Australian company called Precision Defence Industries, there’s no other stocks like it. I love it, designed for backpack hunting and prs/long range cross overs

sram9102

WKR
I have the WTO switchlug on a tikka. Works perfectly. If taking the barrel on and off has an affect on the zero it is less than what my shooting capabilities can show.

OP
R
You can do exactly that with your tikka - carbon pre-fit for hunting, then a heavy varmint/m24 profile steel barrel for target shooting.

Have a stock cut for the proof sendero carbon barrel and you will not need a second stock for the steel barrel.

There are several shops that can cut pre-fit barrels for you.
Cool, I don’t know why I wrote off the tikka action as being able to be set up like that!

What about the actual swapping, what is the way to go? The WTO lug? Or is there other options?

I did it for a short time with my Savage LW Storm action and my two hunting barrels - a 7mm-08 and a .284 Win. But I didn't like having to remove my scope every time (Talley rings). So I eventually bought another action and stock. If you use a rail and detachable rings, it wouldn't be bad at all. Other than the scope, it only takes me about 15 min. to swap a barrel start to finish these days.

sndmn11

WKR
Have you gone down the WTO lug style or just had some square bits milled onto the barrel for a barrel wrench?
I have a barrel vise mounted on a 2"x2" steel that I put in my truck hitch. Then I use the bugholes action wrench.

I know preferred has the option to mill wrench flats, but you would still have to hold the barrel tight, and in that case, hold the wrench tight. I don't know if that would be easier or not than a barrel vise.

Shouldered only!

I sanded the bejesus out of the barrel channel so that the shank can come out under the scope objective and nothing has to be disassembled.

sram9102

WKR
Cool, I don’t know why I wrote off the tikka action as being able to be set up like that!

What about the actual swapping, what is the way to go? The WTO lug? Or is there other options?
While this wasn't directed to me I went through that decision with my rifle. The WTO route is going to be more expensive. Each barrel needs retrofitted either by WTO or a smith who can match the barrel can't just buy prefits, but it lets you change barrels with nothing more than a torque driver. Also no need to remove stock/scope from the rifle to switch barrels.

OP
R
While this wasn't directed to me I went through that decision with my rifle. The WTO route is going to be more expensive. Each barrel needs retrofitted either by WTO or a smith who can match the barrel can't just buy prefits, but it lets you change barrels with nothing more than a torque driver. Also no need to remove stock/scope from the rifle to switch barrels.
Yeah sorry mate just woke up here and replied to the wrong person, thanks though that is great info

rayporter

WKR
a Remington can be a switch barrel with a shouldered barrel. once a smith sets up the action you can have a barrel drop shipped to your smith and have him chamber it. when you remove the old barrel with a barrel vise and an action wrench you will need a recoil lug alignment tool to center the recoil lug unless the bedding is tight enough to use the stock to align the recoil lug. the lug alignment tool is very cheap.

then you just screw on the new barrel.

with most customs you can have a smith chamber it and mail it to you to install yourself.

i have a couple buds with savages and they had the smith set up the action for a shouldered barrel and do away with the barrel nut.

gbflyer

WKR
a Remington can be a switch barrel with a shouldered barrel. once a smith sets up the action you can have a barrel drop shipped to your smith and have him chamber it. when you remove the old barrel with a barrel vise and an action wrench you will need a recoil lug alignment tool to center the recoil lug unless the bedding is tight enough to use the stock to align the recoil lug. the lug alignment tool is very cheap.

then you just screw on the new barrel.

with most customs you can have a smith chamber it and mail it to you to install yourself.

i have a couple buds with savages and they had the smith set up the action for a shouldered barrel and do away with the barrel nut.

Good advice. You can also have the recoil lug pinned to the receiver face to eliminate a lug alignment operation.