One scope to do it all

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I didn't get lucky. I was tired of constantly re-zeroing the Mark 4 and VX6 HD after shooting them. Only another scope I had this issue with was the Vortex PST.

amassi

WKR
I didn't get lucky. I was tired of constantly re-zeroing the Mark 4 and VX6 HD after shooting them. Only another scope I had this issue with was the Vortex PST.
What are you shooting now?
Nightforce??

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Nightforce, Swaro, Vortex, Kahles, SWFA, Huskemaw, Maven.

Why stop at one brand

But my favorite scope at the moment is the Swaro X5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
So what exactly is the problem with ALL Leupold scope’s? I’ve owned several vx3’s, and while they don’t have a zero stop, etc and don’t seem to be made for dialing like a tactical or longe range scope, I’m no expert but they seem to track and return to zero just fine. If there’s a genuine problem of course I’d like to know, but not having seen or heard anything like this before it does seem more than just a little odd. I would think if the problem was that widespread it would be all over the inter-web, are there any resources anyone could point me to that detail the issue?

Edit: huh. Apparently this IS all over the inter web. So, how bad is it? Are we talking each click being .23moa so it isn’t exactly the elevation dialed for, or is it simply inconsistent, and if so by how much? Return to zero off by under 1moa, or a lot more? And is it possible to get a decent scope that can be dialed consistently for under $1000? This is now the second of the two big brands where it seems that until you get to the tippy tippy tippy tippy top of their product line (and maybe not even then) they are simply not consistent quality.

Last edited:

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Man, I thought the Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44 would be the perfect scope. Not too heavy, compact, high mag range, locking turrets. Basically covers the bases for hunting and range. All this talk of issues with Leupold are giving me second thoughts.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Well, my el cheapo bushnell trophy extreme 2.5-10 that I put on this rifle while
i decided what glass to get, was able to do a pretty good tall
Target test, dial for shots on 4-9” round steel plates out to 600 yds all day yesterday, and return to zero with no issues. This on a scope that isnt even really made for dialing. Blows me away that a sub-$300 scope can do this if a $$$$$ scope cant. Although there were a pile of leupold scopes there that were ringing steel just fine. Who knows.

So, with this dual purpose in mind, does anyone have reticle insight? Many of the scopes Im looking at have very fine reticles, often .18moa. I do worry about being able to easily and quickly pick up the reticle at lowest magnification, in the woods, on a moving target, in low light. Especially with any of the ffp scopes with a bit more top-end magnification. Anyone with experience care to comment on how a fine but illuminated reticle does under these conditions, at lowest magnification?