OnGlass Adapter - light & effective digiscoping

TxLite

WKR
Also, lifetime warranty. That’s worth mentioning.
I actually just came back to this thread to ask about how well the magnet sticker stays on the back of the phone and see if there are any issues there.

Lifetime warranty sounds like it generally answers my question.

OP
C

cronsman

WKR
I actually just came back to this thread to ask about how well the magnet sticker stays on the back of the phone and see if there are any issues there.

Lifetime warranty sounds like it generally answers my question.
I haven’t had any issues at all. Seems pretty rock solid to me and the magnet is definitely a strong one.
I use the case to stick it to metal bars around work and at the gym as well.

TxLite

WKR
I haven’t had any issues at all. Seems pretty rock solid to me and the magnet is definitely a strong one.
I use the case to stick it to metal bars around work and at the gym as well.
Has it caused any issues with the phone GPS?

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
I've got one ordered, but I didn't really think about and havent seen any examples in pictures/videos - can anyone confirm if this will mount the phone horizontal? Everything I've seen has the phone mounted vertical.

svivian

WKR
I've got one ordered, but I didn't really think about and havent seen any examples in pictures/videos - can anyone confirm if this will mount the phone horizontal? Everything I've seen has the phone mounted vertical.
I saw in a video somewhere a phone mounted horizontal. Planning on putting this thing to the test the next couple weeks with a couple hunts.

Wrongside

WKR
Thanks for the thread on this. I would’ve purchased the Ollins last week, if they had cases for the iPhone 15 Pro. But the OnGlass looks like a better system for my uses. I’m going to give it a try.

atmat

WKR
I just got mine last night, and I have to say that I think it’s pretty brilliant.

Takes a whopping 10 seconds to setup, is super lightweight, and can be mounted from pocket to spotter in under 3 seconds.

I have an iPhone mini, so the magnet does prevent my wireless charger from being used (it mounts in the near-middle of my phone). That said, I rock a $9 case so I’ve just bought a second to have for non-field use.

WCT3

FNG
I was worried these adapters would be cheap and gimmicky because I've only seen them advertised on Instagram. I'm going to get one based on everyone's experience here. Looking forward to finally having a real digiscoping set up.

svivian

WKR
My only complaint so far is the additional spacers are $35 a piece. So if you own multiple optics or like to buy and sell a lot of optics it could get expensive.

WCT3

FNG
My only complaint so far is the additional spacers are $35 a piece. So if you own multiple optics or like to buy and sell a lot of optics it could get expensive.
That's fair but it's still a lot cheaper than most of the other options. I also like that the part on your phone is only $15 instead of buying a specialty case.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bought mine, looks like it will be easy to use. I might just stick the button onto a MagSafe plate so that I can still use my cordless charger.

atmat

WKR
Bought mine, looks like it will be easy to use. I might just stick the button onto a MagSafe plate so that I can still use my cordless charger.
That would’ve been smart.

Also, if you order two of the magnet, you can keep one whole (i.e., unbroken) to gain alignment on any future phone covers, and then just move the broken one with new sticky tape.

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, received mine and I will update.

It goes without saying, love supporting a veteran and things made in USA (let alone in Idaho where I live).

Initial impressions are not great. It will work after I do a little work on it. First off the magnet on the phone adapter was not glued in. There is a plastic cover that goes over the magnet and plastic magnet "inlet" that was glued around the edges but that popped off and the magnet popped out with it after the 3rd time I attached it to the spotting scope adapter. I will reglue all that and it will be fine.

The spotting scope adapter is not a great fit on a Gen 1 Razor 16-48x65. Arguably one of the most popular spotting scopes of all time. The spring fingers are basically the opposite of how they probably should be for a snug fit. Has to do with the eye cup thickness (all the way in) and it being a loose fit inside the adapter. When I push it all the way on tight its solid, but it's only held by less than probably 1mm of the mag-body and pops off very easily. Still usable but definitely not ideal. If the spring fingers were the opposite direction it would work perfectly. (This is with the rubber band on the spring fingers if anyone is wondering).

All in all it will work. It's super light and convenient. I think it's a little pricey, but wouldn't be as irritated if there weren't these quirks.

WCT3

FNG
Ok, received mine and I will update.

It goes without saying, love supporting a veteran and things made in USA (let alone in Idaho where I live).

Initial impressions are not great. It will work after I do a little work on it. First off the magnet on the phone adapter was not glued in. There is a plastic cover that goes over the magnet and plastic magnet "inlet" that was glued around the edges but that popped off and the magnet popped out with it after the 3rd time I attached it to the spotting scope adapter. I will reglue all that and it will be fine.

The spotting scope adapter is not a great fit on a Gen 1 Razor 16-48x65. Arguably one of the most popular spotting scopes of all time. The spring fingers are basically the opposite of how they probably should be for a snug fit. Has to do with the eye cup thickness (all the way in) and it being a loose fit inside the adapter. When I push it all the way on tight its solid, but it's only held by less than probably 1mm of the mag-body and pops off very easily. Still usable but definitely not ideal. If the spring fingers were the opposite direction it would work perfectly. (This is with the rubber band on the spring fingers if anyone is wondering).

All in all it will work. It's super light and convenient. I think it's a little pricey, but wouldn't be as irritated if there weren't these quirks.
Well that's disappointing to hear. I still think I'm going to buy one myself and try it out because it seems like the perfect digiscope compromise to me. Hopefully he is open to critiques and will make change.

I agree it's pricey especially for a seemingly untested product.

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
I picked one up before hunting season this year and used it between a mini and full size spotter with two different adapters. Worked really well and the magnet adapter did not make the phone difficult to carry or interfere with GoHunt or OnX. I didn’t experience any alignment or durability issues with either mount.
All in all I was pleased, especially since I was able to set it up for scopes not included in the Ollin adapter lineup and that the adapters for each size scope are much more reasonably priced.

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Well that's disappointing to hear. I still think I'm going to buy one myself and try it out because it seems like the perfect digiscope compromise to me. Hopefully he is open to critiques and will make change.

I agree it's pricey especially for a seemingly untested product.

The idea is awesome, the implementation could just use a little refining and it could be THE perfect digiscoping adapter.

#1 I think leaving the extrusion for the magnet in the phone adapter solid on the outside and placing the magnet into channel from the inside would be ideal. Then you add the adhesive over the magnet opening and attach to phone there is no issue with the magnet being able to pop out and potentially get lost in the field.

#2 Having the scope adapter screw into the body instead of the 4 post twist lock would create a solid interface with no play in it. Mine has the tiniest bit of play where it locks into the body.

#3 A little refining of the spring fingers, or making the scope adapter just a little longer to capture a little more of the magnification body for scopes with the adjustable eye cup.

Those little things would definitely set the OnGlass adapter over the edge in usability. It really has the concept to be perfect. It is not all doom and gloom, and I hope I didn't make it sound that way.

WCT3

FNG
No worries, I appreciate the input and helping set my expectations. I'm still planning to get one so no doom and gloom on my end.