Only one

If you had to pick, what is the absolute one piece that you could not leave out of your ensemble?

slowelk

WKR
If boots are off the list - good socks. I can hunt pretty hard in jeans and cotton flannel/hoody if pressed, and my feet are warm and dry.

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
My first choice would be quality boots. I've worn old school Vasque Sundowners for decades and will continue to wear them. Each pair lasts about 10 years and my feet never complain.

If boots are out it would be a quality merino zip-up. I use a First Lite Labador on every hunt almost regardless of weather. It's my top layer when I'm walking around in the fall and it's a mid layer when it's cold in the winter. When it's warm and I only want to bring 1 warm top layer, it's my Labador...

A waffle fleece layer. I have 2, Patagonia r1 with a hood, and a marine surplus 3/4 zip pullover. R1 is more technical fabric, but I love that surplus fleece. Cheap too, 30 dollars.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
A light hoodie. I’m mostly hunting the early season and quick easy warmth for a cool morning or to keep the afternoon sun off my neck.

Doghed

WKR
Merino base layer. Since that is two pieces I'll pick the one that never comes off. The Chama hoodie. I wore one for 10 days straight all day and all night last September. I had used it numerous times before and loved it, but it really proved itself on that trip. I think I can get another season or two out of the one I have so I haven't tried the newer Kiln hoodie. The Chama improved.

Soolong

FNG
I second the First Lite Chama Hoodie. I have a bunch of them. My favorite is the ASAT camouflage. I wear one on every hunt. Even when it is warm I am comfortable and it helps keep the bugs off my head when I need to sit still. Never tried the kiln either because I have to wear all these Chamas out first. 😀

Zamberlan boots. If boots are out, then Sitka's mountain jacket. Really light, windproof, good for top or mid layer. Somewhat water resistant.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my windshirt- it's used 12 months out of the year- sheds wind and light precipitation, but breathes nicely during high output activities

I use a "regular" Patagonia Houdini for non-hunting activities, a military Patagonia Houdini for hunting (it's a heavier denier fabric)

If there's absolutely one piece of gear that goes with me on all my hunts and even just cooler weather, day training hikes, it's a warm, windproof beanie. I usually carry an OR but if I expect cooler temps. than I carry a Sitka Blizzard beanie.

EastMT

WKR
Kuiu attack pants

Boy I went for an atv ride to my hike in spot, didn’t want to wear my attacks on the wheeler for 20 miles. I wore my old insulated hunting pants. Horrible! Nothing felt good, I was so excited to get them things off and into my attacks!

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
First lite aerowool. I think base layers are the most important layer and wool is the best material.

FL of all the major hunting brands is the only wool that doesn’t make my skin crawl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk