OnX or BaseMap

Dan MT

FNG
I have used OnX for years...however it seems that BaseMap is gaining in popularity. Any personal experience or preference between the two?

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I have found the Onx app on android to be better than basemaps. I used basemaps for a year and then switched back to Onx. Basemaps worked pretty well but it seemed to be glitchy on trying to look at the map with multiple layers. Onx has since released a few features, elevation bands, slope, hill face direction and potential glassing areas from a pin. I'm not sure if basemaps has that, if not, 100% go Onx.

Rokslide has a coupon right now for 20% off Onx.
Code is "Rokcast"

I primarily use Gaia 95% of the time, but do have OnX as well because they have a few layers that others don’t.

tony

WKR
I run basemaps, more for just a mapping program as I hike more than hunt.

Onx you still have to pay for each state you want? That was a turn off for me.

If you sign up for backpacker magazine they have a deal where you get the entire outside magazine suite, Gaia GPS premium and trailforks for $3.00 a month.

crrakcrrak

Lil-Rokslider
I use OnX, never used base maps but herd good things. Also not sure if base maps has 3d but OnX now has the 3D and its very helpful

WMag338

WKR
I use OnX primarily. Also have used Gaia and dabbled with Basemap. I've struggled learning the interface of Basemap and Gaia. I get used to OnX and how to make it work for me. Probably wouldn't be an issue if i used Gaia and Basemap more though.

I use OnX primarily. Also have used Gaia and dabbled with Basemap. I've struggled learning the interface of Basemap and Gaia. I get used to OnX and how to make it work for me. Probably wouldn't be an issue if i used Gaia and Basemap more though.
Gaia has more features and layers so that adds to the learning curve.

Only reason I use OnX is for the crop layers.

Oregonboy

WKR
I’ve had both and ended up going with BaseMap. It was less expensive and gave me access to more states.

WMag338

WKR
Gaia has more features and layers so that adds to the learning curve.

Only reason I use OnX is for the crop layers.
I do like the layers in Gaia. In my experience, I have found where I hunt Gaia's roads/trail layers are very poor. Trying to decipher if a trail or road is atv, atv/motorcycle, vehicle, etc is very difficult.

I do like the layers in Gaia. In my experience, I have found where I hunt Gaia's roads/trail layers are very poor. Trying to decipher if a trail or road is atv, atv/motorcycle, vehicle, etc is very difficult.
USFS or other land? What layers are you using and have you found apps that have better data?

My hunting partners use OnX. We’ve done a lot of comparing both in the field and while eScouting. I have found that there is about 90% consistency in layers showing where a trail or road is. Then there will be some stuff that shows up on one app and not the other, but usually with Gaia between the USFS layers, Google Earth custom layer, and Gaia Topo, I find more stuff with Gaia than they do with OnX. That said, USFS is really the only one that gives details on what type of road or trail it is so curious if you have something else.

striped1

FNG
I like that with Sig rangefinding binos you can plot the point you are ranging on Basemap. When I add the Sig Ranging Binos I will add Basemap. It won't replace Onyx