Open tarps and Thermacells?

Hello All:

Last weekend I did an overnight at our rod and gun club campground. It was nice to get out but there was a relearning curve with this overnighter. As I think it through I had an idea for late summer, early fall camping using just an open tarp.

I have a new thermacell insect repelling device. I lost my old one somewhere( or maybe someone grabbed it from my truck, which is in the back of my mind) so a new one was bought as the September black bear and early Connecticut archery season can be buggy. This is especially true since four people in Massachusetts have contracted EEE virus. One woman from the coast died. Sad story but I don't want to catch this horrid illness. Needless to say I permethryned all of my clothing including my Kifaru Tipi.

So . I had a thought. To go high speed, low drag could I was thinking of sleeping out in an open tarp for some overnights. Again I worry about the EEE issue so I thought about using my Thermacell bug repeller set up near the face of the open tarp set up.

I can't find anything on whether or not this is bad for your health. All I can find is that you cannot use one in an enclosed space like a tent or pop up blind.

I would really appreciate any and all comments on my idea. Thank you very much.

fatlander

WKR
I use it in ground blinds all the time. Guys run ozone in ground blinds. That scares me, but the thermacell doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robtattoo

WKR
I've done that very thing, numerous times. Straight tarp on the floor, and hanging in my hammock.
As long as there's ventilation, you're fine.

bullmoose

FNG
I've used a thermacell in many floorless shelters and tarp setups, never thought it was a bad idea. I don't usually let it burn the entire time I'm in the tent, only have it on for a couple hours at a time clear the area.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
I use it in ground blinds all the time. Guys run ozone in ground blinds. That scares me, but the thermacell doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1
BB.jpg

rugerhoyt

Lil-Rokslider
Ran one everyday i was in canada a couple years ago. Mosquitoes were worse in the blind then in the stand. Had all windows closed except 2 in front of me. Never thought anything of it.

More worried about the actual chemical, or burning the butane?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not a fan of letting rare health risks dictate how I operate, but living in one of the towns in MA listed at "critical risk" and knowing the consequences of EEE, I know it would just make me have a lousy night sleep knowing I was just under an open tarp. If I were you I'd pick up a lightweight enclosed/nested tent. I wouldn't think it would slow you down too much.