Operation AZ elk drop'er

Axlrod

WKR
Bullet choice wont matter until you pick a rifle- it decides.
The # 1 factor in elk hunting is finding them. So if you dont have very good bino's I would get them first.

OP
S

schmidty3

FNG
the one thing is....

theres more elk in 24a then in dallas!!! :)

I'm prepared for the long haul, grind it out type hunt. That's how it is on public land anywhere usually. That's generally my kind of hunt.

And how can anyone get rusty with a rifle? lol. I prefer recurve hunting because rifle hunting isn't a challenge (for whitetails).

600 yards shouldn't be an issue as long as the wind isn't extreme. Of course I'll try to get as close as I need to, but if the only elk I see the entire time is standing at 600, that's not going to be why I don't kill an elk.

OP
S

schmidty3

FNG
Bullet choice wont matter until you pick a rifle- it decides.
The # 1 factor in elk hunting is finding them. So if you dont have very good bino's I would get them first.

I would argue the inverse. I want to pick an optimal elk bullet, then select an appropriate rifle. The rifle isn't what kills the elk, the bullet is.

And yes, finding them is the challenge. But I'm not in the "finding elk" section of the forum.

mtmuley

WKR
I would argue the inverse. I want to pick an optimal elk bullet, then select an appropriate rifle. The rifle isn't what kills the elk, the bullet is.

And yes, finding them is the challenge. But I'm not in the "finding elk" section of the forum.

Look no further than the Accubond. mtmuley

robie

WKR
Are you doing this solo? Have you considered hiring an outfitter? AZ elk tags are hard to come by, enjoy the experience.

You said this is your first elk hunt, do a lot of video watching on what to do once it hits the dirt. It can be overwhelming your first time. Not the same as hanging a whitetail from a tree to work on.

Guns are fun but if you budget is limited don't throw money at it when you have plenty of other items to buy and you have something that will work.

If you are dead set on getting a gun, the Christensen Arms is a great product, look over on longrangeonly.com those guys did a detailed review on the Mesa and it shot very well.

Look no further than the Accubond. mtmuley
YUP,..^^^ THIS,.. put a 160 grainer, in your, 7 to 8 Pound, 7 Mag ( or 140 grain in the .270 ) and practice,.. offhand, sitting and over, a Pack. Learn to "dope" the Wind as it's usually Windy and Cold in Dec. and climb some Stairs to get your legs in shape as, a lot of walking/ glassing is necessary ! Limited opp Hunts ARE tough hunts ( as, lower Kill ratio's ) personally, I passed up, those hunts as Elk "can" be, hard to find in them ! You have your work cut out for you and you are NOT in competition with 4 other hunters you are, in "competition" with, finding /killing, ONE big Bull Elk ! Good Luck and let us know how you hunt turns out !

Last edited:
OP
S

schmidty3

FNG
I don't want to get a guide. I'd prefer to succeed or fail on my own merits. It would be foolish to pay for a guide if there's actually 0 elk in the unit!!! Lol

My uncle may come. But I don't know anyone with as much hunting drive as myself. Or anyone that wants to hike 10 miles a day for 2 weeks straight without seeing much elk.

I've never killed one myself. But my dad dropped one on the Wichita mts hunt in Oklahoma. (They don't let anyone go in with the hunters, but let you get help if they get one). So I've packed one out a short distance. As far as making it dead and cutting it up I'll have no issues. It's just a giant deer. I've been involved with probably over 200 whitetail and we butcher out own. I've quartered and packed them out, done the gutless method etc etc.. The pack out will be a load of suck, no getting around that.

You may want to watch a couple of ,Video's on YouTube about, Late Rifle DIY Hunts in Arizona, Travis Volk has, 2 one in 2017 and another in 2014

OP
S

schmidty3

FNG
Is sept. 28th considered late rifle? ;)

Best case scenario I catch a bugle and move in. The pressure is very very low in this unit, so I'm hoping calling will be effective.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
vx6 2-12 on your BLR 308. 165 accubonds or 178 ELDX. I bang flopped a bull at 409 yards last fall with my 20inch tube 308 and factory ELDX cartridge. Gun also had, ironically, a vx6 2-12. With the B&C reticle. It was a CA Ridgeline. The stock is very comfortable for me, but not the toughest when it comes to getting banged around.

The Mesa would be a sweet gun but the featherweight contour will not be awesome when put your suppressor on there. Barrel whip. You won't like it as a suppressor host.

If I were you I'd deploy your archery skills with a very sweet BLR 308 and Leupold combo. If your shooting skills are up to it, with the ELDX it's a 500 yard elk rifle all day long. Then train your teeth out. Get lean and mean. Focus on the rest of your kit.

Then when it's all said and done and your feasting on elk meat you'll have money left over for your shoulder mount.

After which, you can build a dedicated elk rifle without budget constraints and cutting corners as you'll already be thinking about the next trip.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd just run one of the guns you have and learn its drops accurately. You have lots of gear to get, as noted good optics will help the hunt more than anything (gotta find'm to shoot'm). If you can shoot 500 and have the energy in the bullet/caliber combo to do it you're covered for the majority of elk situations, going father ethically takes learning your rifle/load well and frankly sounds like that time would be better spent training/learning about elk. After this hunt you'll have a much better idea what you might want in a rifle. My $.02

I see some insanity and loaded pack training in my near future.

I highly suggest 16" box steps with some weight (like 40lb pack). Its hard to engage the steep hill muscles without stepping up and I've personally found it much nicer when I've properly prepared for steep stuff. In the prior years even though I could run/hike long distances and had the lungs to do so I would tear up my leg muscles on the steep stuff, I sought out alternate training ideas last fall and life was so much nicer. A major component for the hills was the box stepping. Its boring (put on headphones and listen to something) but effective.

OP
S

schmidty3

FNG
I live in an apartment complex. I've got a set of stairs right out my front door (which made moving my couch in very difficult! lol). So my neighbors may hate me for endless going up and down 3 flights of stairs. lol

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not to nit pick but if you can get something taller its better (angle changes the muscle engagement), 16" tends to be a sweet spot that's steep but not knee strain steep apparently. The program I did was through mountain tactical institute, there is an article on there comparing 12" to 16" box steps (keep in mind a stair isn't even 12"). Just saying from experience my legs were a lot more comfortable this year on steep grades where I previously tore up muscles.

Boreal

WKR
Since I drew zero tags here in AK, and it's always fun to mix things up, may I suggest you take a look at Hammer Bullets? I used those on a Roosevelt elk hunt on Afognak Island last year and they performed amazingly well. 150 GR SledgeHammer out of a Kimber MA 280 AI. They took two, a 5x5 bull and a cow, neither took more than 5 steps and dropped. I'd also suggest you revisit the reputation that Kimber rifles have developed. After a little tinkering (I know, it's a $1000 rifle!), I get cloverleafs from both of mine at 100, and well within MOA out to 300. The 280 AI pushes the 150 SledgeHammer at over 3000 fps with my load with H100V. And at less than 7lb with the Swaro Z3 4-12x50, it's easy to carry.

Were I taking a two week wander through those hills looking for elk, I'd bring that MA 280AI and never think twice.

OP
S

schmidty3

FNG
those hammers look interesting. Expensive though! Lol. I bet they shoot awesome. A machined piece of copper is probably more consistent then anything with lead. I'm not gonna lie though. I like the way lead hits. I've killed 2 antelope and a couple of deer with Barnes 85 gr tsx out of a 243 wssm. They died. Penetration was always complete even at 350-400 yds. But lead killed better. I had one zombie buck with them. A lead bullet wouldve done better (neck shot). I'm sure the fragmenting petals help with that. But it seems to me that you lose the benefit of going all copper (weight retention and superior penetration).

4IDARCHER

WKR
The .280AI used to be one of those dream calibers when I was younger that I "had" to have one day. Now that I am starting back into gun nuttery after a bit of a layoff (still mostly a bowhunter though) I see that with Alliant RL26 or superformance ammo there is very little with a 150gr bullet that a 280AI can do that a .270 won't. Maybe a bit on paper but little in the real world. With a good load of RL26 you can get a 150gr Accubond or Accubond LR to close to 3050. That is moving out of a .270 with the ability to find ammo about anywhere if you need it.

Still though for a dedicated elk rifle a 7mm Mag (of any sort) is hard to beat. 30 years ago I would of sworn that a .300 of some iteration would be the perfect choice for the king of deer but now I would say that the 7mm is just about the perfect pick in a lighter weight rifle.

Any one of, the 3 Rifles you mentioned will kill an Elk with proper Bullet placement from, 400 yds for the .308 to 700+ yds for the 7mm Mag. and you said you're a "Shooter" so pick the ONE that, you shoot best and have confidence in ( you've read all the pros/cons on, each Caliber) so pick one that's easy, to carry/ shoot and HIKE for miles with. Then, lets get serious and realize WHAT this, Hunt is all about it's, FINDING the Animals ! The success rate has been very high in that unit recently, from 80 to 100 percent ! But YOU have to figure out, WHERE their hiding! Try calling AZ F& Game (Wardens & Bio's) and check on ArizCoueswhitetail.com for approx. locations of Elk. You will need a partner that, is trustworthy, can walk with you and is nearly as strong as you, to carry out the meat! I am 71 years old, I can carry a front quarter and Backstrap's about, 40-50 lbs max. uphill, my son at 41 y/o, can carry, a rear quarter + loose meat or, the rack (to 75/85 lbs). We plan on hunting with GOOD Packs, on our backs, for my Rifle Elk Hunt and making only 2 trips to Camp since we may be, anywhere from 1 to 5 miles out when, an elk is shot. Since the R snakes, probably have NOT, denned up yet, BUY some Snake Boots/Chaps for that lower area, you're hunting at that, time of year and bring lots of, Water, paracord, game bags and 2 sharp knives.
You have many good suggestions to choose from, as lots of, knowledgeable, experienced, Hunters here, so sift thru the idea's you like and pick out what you need and is important. Good luck !