Opinions on the Bakcou Mule EBike

lacofdfireman

Lil-Rokslider
I know this can be a controversial subject but looking for some opinions on the Bakcou Mule EBike. Right now they are on sell at CalRanch for $1k off the msrp of $5399. Just wondering if it’s a good bike or not. I’m a big guy at 6’4 and 260lbs and would love to have one of these for camping and riding dirt roads and double track trails.

Anyone have one? What do you think. Are they worth the money or should I just buy a cheaper hub drive like the Aventon Aventure.

718c4f58323bca9571345a08a2808407.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

wesfromky

WKR
They have a great youtube channel, and seem to understand the hunting use case pretty well. But, I bought a M2S bike that is basically the same thing for $3300. The "hunting" branded ebikes are nice, but they seem to carry a pretty sizable premium.

johnw

FNG
I have had 3 of them over the years, one stolen. Most recent model was this year. Its a small sample size but they have all held up reasonably well and taken a beating. I would ask Bakcou about the weight aspect, I want to say they have a weight capacity posted on their site at 300lbs - at a minimum it will impact the life of your battery, but I am not sure about the frame, etc...I am about 155lbs and can ride it with an elk quarter (+ gear) in my pack without issue.

Bakcou customer service was good - real people and quick responses.

Have not owned any other brands or motor types so cannot say comparing them.

Titan

WKR
Go with the mid drive in whatever brand is available and reasonable. Then you can decide based on motor size, battery size, extra components.

Broomd

WKR
Not to 'jack too much here, but what is the consensus *best mid-drive bike out there* cost-wise and durability wise?

I got a mule step thru 2 months ago and have been loving it. This is a Pic of it after going through mud and manure which it handled without any problems.

e 20221106_161628.jpg

There is no way in hell I'd spend that much money on a bike with a Bafang motor. If I am tossing that kind of coin around, I am getting Yamaha or Bosch. They also went with a generic suspension fork, the cheapest brakes available, lower end drive train and other low grade parts. The Flatlander at $1700 less will do everything the Mule will do for you other than top out at "up to" 35 MPH. I don't know how often you'll have the opportunity to go much over 10-15 with a full hunting load (whatever that may be for you) on single track.

Another word of caution. Look for increasing restrictions on e-bikes. It looks like those restrictions are targeting Class 2 and 3.

Last edited:
"Best" is not only subjective, but also relative to intended use. "Hunting" isn't really an intended use either.

Specifically how will the bike be used? What will you carry? Will you pull a trailer? How technical are the trails you'll transit? How many miles will you travel between charges? Trail conditions...hardpack, sand, mud etc?

I am a bike guy that rides high end mountain bikes. With that said, i won't talk about the components, but frame size. I am 6'1 and ride an xl size frame. I doubt you will be able to raise the seat post high enough to accomadate your height. Basically the bike will be to small for you. Trying to make a bike work that is to small can be very painful in more ways than one.

TheTone

WKR
There is no way in hell I'd spend that much money on a bike with a Bafang motor. If I am tossing that kind of coin around, I am getting Yamaha or Bosch. They also went with a generic suspension fork, the cheapest brakes available, lower end drive train and other low grade parts. The Flatlander at $1700 less will do everything the Mule will do for you other than top out at "up to" 35 MPH. I don't know how often you'll have the opportunity to go much over 10-15 with a full hunting load (whatever that may be for you) on single track.

Another word of caution. Look for increasing restrictions on e-bikes. It looks like those restrictions are targeting Class 2 and 3.
But it’s marketed to hunters! It’s gotta be good right? I’m always amazed out how poor the components are on hunting ebikes compared to the price. My full suspension trek cost less than some and it’s so much better built

OP
L

lacofdfireman

Lil-Rokslider
I got a mule step thru 2 months ago and have been loving it. This is a Pic of it after going through mud and manure which it handled without any problems.

e View attachment 475561

Curious as to your reason for a step through? I’m tall at 6’4 but found a great deal for a step through model used. It’s got some scratches, 180 miles and a 21AH battery. It’s almost half price of retail and less than a year old. But not sure about a step through. I have this stigma in my head that a step through was built for women but then when I think of carrying a pack or packing out a deer or something I think the step through may be nice. What’s your opinion. Is a step through geared towards women or is that just something in my head?

Photo of the bike I’m looking at. Also it shows stand over height of the step through at 26” compared to 28” on the standard frame model.

d34196552680521a6e078a2820df1152.jpg

OP
L

lacofdfireman

Lil-Rokslider
I am a bike guy that rides high end mountain bikes. With that said, i won't talk about the components, but frame size. I am 6'1 and ride an xl size frame. I doubt you will be able to raise the seat post high enough to accomadate your height. Basically the bike will be to small for you. Trying to make a bike work that is to small can be very painful in more ways than one.

This is where I’d ride the bike at for correct leg extension. There is about 1/2” more I could go before I hit max seat post height. Sad part is EBikes from factories are not made in sizes a lot of times like the Bakcou. It’s a one size fits most. What I’m do like about this bike is the seat to bar reach. Feels much nicer and more upright than the Yeti SB6 that I was riding a few years ago. I was so stretched out on that bike. It was nice just was never comfortable on it.

I’m looking at this one used. It seems like a fair price but not sure I’m in love with the step through model. But hard to pass at this price and it comes with the 21ah battery which is a $600 upgrade over the 17ah stock battery.

afd41e7e9530845e112fd667c0a60f39.jpg

Curious as to your reason for a step through? I’m tall at 6’4 but found a great deal for a step through model used. It’s got some scratches, 180 miles and a 21AH battery. It’s almost half price of retail and less than a year old. But not sure about a step through. I have this stigma in my head that a step through was built for women but then when I think of carrying a pack or packing out a deer or something I think the step through may be nice. What’s your opinion. Is a step through geared towards women or is that just something in my head?

Photo of the bike I’m looking at. Also it shows stand over height of the step through at 26” compared to 28” on the standard frame model.

d34196552680521a6e078a2820df1152.jpg

In trying them out, the 24" ST was the easiest to get on in the summer when I tried it. I figured that it would also be the easiest when I was fully loaded with cold weather gear. This weekend proved me correct as I could barely get my leg through with my Sitka Fanatic bibs on with a loaded pack.

Does the Mule motor make some noise? The Rambo is touting their silent motor and use a different Bafang motor than the Bakcou. For those that have them, does the Mule make a humming sound?