Opinions on the information Randy Newburg shares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ETA: I never intended for this thread to turn into what it did. I wouldn’t have ever started it if I had any idea. Lots of negativity and anger. I came to Rokslide to get away from that type of shit.

I’m sure there will be a mix of feelings on this. If you watch Randy on YouTube, you know he’s pretty open with information on where he’s hunting. This seems to upset some folks. He just put out a video earlier today on application/draw strategy for Wyoming. Of course he was pushing the GoHunt service, but he shared some good information. This all brings up an interesting subject, to me anyway. For a new guy, that has zero experience applying for tags in various states, you truly are flying blind unless you find someone willing to help you. That seems to be a very rare thing on any hunting forum. Nobody wants to give out any information on even a general area of where to hunt. Obviously I see both sides of this, as anyone would. I know why nobody wants to help a new guy. I know why nobody wants to share information. However, for the new guy, what are his options? I plan to put in for Wyoming, Idaho, Colorado, Montana, and New Mexico. I’ve never hunted any of those states except Colorado. People like Randy sharing information, even just a little here and there, is a huge help for someone like me. Since I have zero experience in any of those states, I’ll basically just pick a random unit(s) and apply for it. Yes, I’m aware you could spend weeks researching previous years odds from all these states. I unfortunately don’t have the time to do that. Thus the reason last week I posted asking about services like Huntin Fool for help with unit selection. I know people really dislike Randy for all the information he shares. If I was an “old timer” that didn’t need any help, I would clearly see why.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
The problem with zero experience is well.....you have zero experience. And quite frankly don’t benefit as much from information that you do obtain.

I started bowhunting out west before we had access to all this information. The thing that helped me the most was...your not going to believe it, but just showing up. Just going hunting was and is the biggest hurdle to success . Just show up and go freaking hunt. Good things will happen if you do.

Rob5589

WKR
"Weeks" is what it takes if you are new to a state and/or zone. If you truly don't have the time, there are scouting services that do it for you. One of which is owned by someone here on RS.
There are plenty of people here that are willing to help a great deal. I think everyone just wants to see some effort put out by those asking. Good luck!

If it was really that important to someone then they would make the time in their day to do the research. Even just waking up 15 minutes earlier every morning and using that time to study harvest stats and Google earth. That research time eventually accumulates. It's kind of like weight loss for a lot of people. "I just don't have time to work out." Well, if it was really THAT important to them, they'd make the time. Simple as that. If you don't go the extra effort in the offseason to research and that's your only option without being able to go to the unit to scout a couple days in the summer, then you probably won't put the extra effort in on the hunt either. That translates to tag soup for a lot of guys, including myself at times. Make something truly a priority and it's amazing how much you can get done. Buying GoHunt and HuntinFool will likely not be enough to get it done for most people IMO.

As a newer, less experienced hunter, I am a big fan of Randy and the info he puts out. I probably get more value from his output than most sources. Any “how to” is greatly appreciated. Besides, he is putting it out for free (for the most part) and it is easy enough to ignore if you don’t like it.

Last edited:
OP
Trevor73402
If it was really that important to someone then they would make the time in their day to do the research. Even just waking up 15 minutes earlier every morning and using that time to study harvest stats and Google earth. That research time eventually accumulates. It's kind of like weight loss for a lot of people. "I just don't have time to work out." Well, if it was really THAT important to them, they'd make the time. Simple as that. If you don't go the extra effort in the offseason to research and that's your only option without being able to go to the unit to scout a couple days in the summer, then you probably won't put the extra effort in on the hunt either. That translates to tag soup for a lot of guys, including myself at times. Make something truly a priority and it's amazing how much you can get done. Buying GoHunt and HuntinFool will likely not be enough to get it done for most people IMO.

I can agree with some of what you are saying. On the effort and dedication, I agree 100%. I’ve spent a large part of my life in the gym. The last 19 years, was 5-6 days a week. No excuse. Putting forth the effort is one thing, knowing what to do/how to process the information you are working to gather during this process is a learned skill in itself.

I can agree with some of what you are saying. On the effort and dedication, I agree 100%. I’ve spent a large part of my life in the gym. The last 19 years, was 5-6 days a week. No excuse. Putting forth the effort is one thing, knowing what to do/how to process the information you are working to gather during this process is a learned skill in itself.
Knowing what to do/how to process information is definitely a learned skill, I agree. Unfortunately I think alot of people don't like to accept or dont realize that it often takes years and years of trial and error and trying new spots before success may come. You can have success the first year or it can can take 10 years sometimes, putting in time is the only way to find the success you're after. It took me many years and mistakes to find consistent success on deer and I still make mistakes every year. It will never end. I think it may be better to shift the mindset of "Im going all out this year and it will finally pay off!" To something more realistic like, "I'm going all out these next 5 years and then it will finally pay off!"

Fatcamp

WKR
Completely unnecessary for any of these people to name specific locations. It's all about clicks, likes, or whatever BS online currency they are currently dealing in.

As an adult who wants to venture into wilds alone you should be able to look at a map and find where some public land is.

We were all new at one time, but you'll learn quickly as you go. The research is a very important part of learning, so if you have the time to hunt, at least make some time to do research. There is lots of information out there if you spend a little bit of time digging.

cnelk

WKR
Hate to say it, but everything you hear or read is not new.
Its just regurgitated in a different way. Maybe even dummied down.

Everyone wants the magic 'pixy dust' to quicken their InstaFaceTwit account Likes.

Its about the journey man.
The info has been printed hundreds of times, over and over again.
Just go find it.

I think many guys are like a moth to a flame when some of these people put out a new podcast or YouTube video.

I'm good with what I have seen him give up. And I have found this site if full of people who will go above and beyond to help someone that has never hunted in their state. They usually do this through PMs. I'm not new to hunting, but I am new to WY and AZ hunting. I got lots of help on my 2019 WY pronghorn hunt and help in advance of an AZ hunt. Randy isn't showing specific points on a map, or at least not that I have seen.

Rich M

WKR
2017 I decided was gonna shoot me an antelope. Spent some time doing the research and crunching numbers. With 0 points I could expect to draw xxxxxx xxxxxxxx units.

Then I looked at the map and said OK, looked at Harvest results, draw results, called a few folks with some questions and made up my own mind. Spent 20 hrs or so.

Then went and scouted unit before season. Then shot a doe out of a herd with a killer buck. I had listened to the just hunt guys and didn't get a buck tag. Still banging my head over that one. Internet advice is just that. Shot 2 doe, watched 6 bucks thru scope.

Then in 2019 got a tip on a unit in CO for Mule deer and was told to hunt hard. 6 days later had a great buck down for first ever Mule deer hunt. 159 inches. Buddy missed an awesome 3x3 the next day and another the day after.

What do these and my future hunts have in common?

I did the work and didn't succumb to buying the same info everyone else buys. And applies for.

Randy is a salesman. He makes his money selling stuff, hunts, products, the dream, etc. He wouldn't do it if he didn't get paid.

If you don't think you can figure it out, you are succumbing to the marketing that makes you think you can't.

BuzzH

WKR
2017 I decided was gonna shoot me an antelope. Spent some time doing the research and crunching numbers. With 0 points I could expect to draw xxxxxx xxxxxxxx units.

Then I looked at the map and said OK, looked at Harvest results, draw results, called a few folks with some questions and made up my own mind. Spent 20 hrs or so.

Then went and scouted unit before season. Then shot a doe out of a herd with a killer buck. I had listened to the just hunt guys and didn't get a buck tag. Still banging my head over that one. Internet advice is just that. Shot 2 doe, watched 6 bucks thru scope.

Then in 2019 got a tip on a unit in CO for Mule deer and was told to hunt hard. 6 days later had a great buck down for first ever Mule deer hunt. 159 inches. Buddy missed an awesome 3x3 the next day and another the day after.

What do these and my future hunts have in common?

I did the work and didn't succumb to buying the same info everyone else buys. And applies for.

Randy is a salesman. He makes his money selling stuff, hunts, products, the dream, etc. He wouldn't do it if he didn't get paid.

If you don't think you can figure it out, you are succumbing to the marketing that makes you think you can't.

I wont speak for Randy...but I'll just say.

I've known Randy wayyyyy longer than he's had a TV show or a hunting platform of any kind...and the bolded sentence is pure crap.

He's been looking out for wildlife, public lands, and our outdoor heritage for a long time and he wasn't getting paid to do so.

I think your comment is as ridiculous as it is out of line...in particular from a johnnie come lately that doesn't even know the guy.

Randy is owed a hell of a lot more thanks than he'll ever get.

Rich M

WKR
I wont speak for Randy...but I'll just say.

I've known Randy wayyyyy longer than he's had a TV show or a hunting platform of any kind...and the bolded sentence is pure crap.

He's been looking out for wildlife, public lands, and our outdoor heritage for a long time and he wasn't getting paid to do so.

I think your comment is as ridiculous as it is out of line...in particular from a johnnie come lately that doesn't even know the guy.

Randy is owed a hell of a lot more thanks than he'll ever get.
Randy wouldn't be on TV and have sponsors if that was the case.

He lost me on the video where he and another guy were making fun of folks. Haven't been back since.

I didn't bold anything.

Keep drinking the cool aid.

ljalberta

WKR
Big fan of Randy and his openness. I have shared numerous spots with people. It’s definitely come back to bite me on three occasions now. But I enjoy finding new territory and helping others out with some ground work.

Status
Not open for further replies.