Optic change frequency?

sticman77

FNG
How often do you change your optics on your guns? Forum classifieds make it less of a burden to try new things but interested to see how often others are trying new scopes.

Personally seem to change things up every two yesrsish because I read too much on forums

Felton

WKR
I am in the process of switching out all my optics to top tier or upper tier gear and don’t plan on changing once complete. It’s taken me three years so far. I hope to be done in another year. This also includes a spotting scope and binos.

I agree about changing out junk to less junk until you figure it out. Before I started upgrading I was planning on upgrading my binos slowly to alpha glass. So the first year I was going to buy a $700 pair of bins then a year or two later upgrade to $1000 and so on until I had the NL Pures I wanted. I realized how much more money it was going to cost me so I just bit the bullet and purchased what my end goal was. Now I get more years of use out of alpha glass and it cost me less than if I upgraded slowly. I did wait for great deals and or seek them out.

I could see myself doing something like this one more time in my life. It probably won’t be this comprehensive though. I’ll just switch out a couple pieces.

Last edited:
OP
S

sticman77

FNG
I was jumping from budgetish $500 scopes until I jumped up to the atacr 4-20. I loved it but it was just too damn heavy. Recently sold it and picked up some ten miles on sale. I may have jumped down a tier but think I’ve found something I can keep on these guns

Article 4

WKR
I entertain change when a significant leap takes place. Significant IMO is something that is a new technology that is significantly changing the way I shoot, see, or am able to utilize the optic. For me, its usually a 10-12 year kinda thing.

I liken it to bows. When a bow has the same riser and limbs etc for a while and they make just a slight change to a cam or some other part from year to year....not a buyer

Same with optics, especially with high end products in the 3k and up range. Significant changes happen less often and are usually harder to discern with previous models.

Felton

WKR
I entertain change when a significant leap takes place. Significant IMO is something that is a new technology that is significantly changing the way I shoot, see, or am able to utilize the optic. For me, its usually a 10-12 year kinda thing.

I liken it to bows. When a bow has the same riser and limbs etc for a while and they make just a slight change to a cam or some other part from year to year....not a buyer

Same with optics, especially with high end products in the 3k and up range. Significant changes happen less often and are usually harder to discern with previous models.

I feel the same way and in 10-12 years I’ll be 50 (that kinda scares me actually typing it out) so one more time in my life I’ll upgrade.

@sticman77 I’m switching all my scopes over to trijicon. My first one was 10 years ago and I’m still very happy with it. I’ve added three more now and need another 6 to be done with my upgrading. Thinking about it now it might be 2 years before I’m finished upgrading everything.

Article 4

WKR
I feel the same way and in 10-12 years I’ll be 50 (that kinda scares me actually typing it out) so one more time in my life I’ll upgrade.

@sticman77 I’m switching all my scopes over to trijicon. My first one was 10 years ago and I’m still very happy with it. I’ve added three more now and need another 6 to be done with my upgrading. Thinking about it now it might be 2 years before I’m finished upgrading everything.
I did that very thing in 2017. I have 7 ELR rifles and they all got Kahles K624 scopes.

The 2024 model K328 looks sexy but not sure it’s the full leap ahead yet. Maybe 3 more years

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I did that very thing in 2017. I have 7 ELR rifles and they all got Kahles K624 scopes.

The 2024 model K328 looks sexy but not sure it’s the full leap ahead yet. Maybe 3 more years

Thanks for taking time from eating caviar on your yacht with high-profile chicks to post.

Jk - just my jealousy talking 🤣

OP
S

sticman77

FNG

I might be doing the same thing, although with different models. Just ordered an Accupoint 1-6 for an AR, to see if I like it more than a dot w/ magnifier.

Felton

WKR
Yeah that’s what I started with, well 1x4 with German post and triangle. I love that thing and have considered putting it on a hunting rifle. The second was another Accupoint but 3x9 I think, and now ten mile and looking at some other lower price options to fill in the rest of my guns.

TaperPin

WKR
For a good many years I was taken hook line and sinker by advertising - mostly those who invest heavily at Peterson Publishing. Now I’m having quite a fun time going backwards and trying the scopes that weren’t pushed as much in the magazines. Until you’ve driven a car it’s hard to have an opinion on it. Eventually, the exercise will end up back here at the present where it began - I’ll probably have a favorite obscure discontinued German scope on the favorite rifle, but maybe give in to a popular Japanese scope of one flavor or another.

There will be a different old scope for every month this year. Lol

Last edited:
I'd say on average every couple of years. My most recent was getting a Razor G3 6-36x56 for my NRL22 build. I'm going to have to switch out my Vortex LHT 4.5-22x50 sometime in the next year or so just because it's MOA and I'm finally getting rid of everything MOA. When I do that I'll either grab a Maven RS1.2 or a NF NX8 4-32x50 depending on my mood.

My spending habits will be tested in 2-3 years when Swarovski's FOV patent expires though. All of the manufacturers who don't have budgets to fight Swaro in court have been holding back and the patent expiring is, I think, going to cause a big leap forward in the industry where FOV is concerned.

OP
S

sticman77

FNG
I'd say on average every couple of years. My most recent was getting a Razor G3 6-36x56 for my NRL22 build. I'm going to have to switch out my Vortex LHT 4.5-22x50 sometime in the next year or so just because it's MOA and I'm finally getting rid of everything MOA. When I do that I'll either grab a Maven RS1.2 or a NF NX8 4-32x50 depending on my mood.

My spending habits will be tested in 2-3 years when Swarovski's FOV patent expires though. All of the manufacturers who don't have budgets to fight Swaro in court have been holding back and the patent expiring is, I think, going to cause a big leap forward in the industry where FOV is concerned.
I wasn’t aware of the swaro patent thing and just looked into it. Thought actually be helpful in not switching scopes out… that seems like a compelling event that is worth waiting for.