Oregon ballot initiative

TJ

WKR
Here's the thing, some people (in my experience) like to play this game where they've deemed themselves the arbiter of truth. Rather than play that game, I don't engage. I'm not going to waste my time arguing with someone about the reliability of various sources. You can choose the route of willful ignorance if you like. No skin off my back. But a Google search will give you a number of sources. Since you're on rokslide, perhaps rmef is a source you will trust. They have a recent article on it. But yeah, I'm sure all these stories are bs as you put it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Here’s the thing. You posted for discussion, or outrage, so I thought maybe a source would a good starting point for discussion.
I live in Oregon so it doesn’t really surprise me. I don’t think it has chance, but who knows.

And know, I don’t care to be arbitrator of truth.

More fear mongering and fake news. Come on people.

Section 9. ORS 167.335 is amended to read:
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, unless gross negligence can be shown, the provisions of ORS 167.315 (Animal abuse in the second degree) to 167.333 (Sexual assault of an animal) do not apply to:
(a) [The treatment of livestock being transported by owner or common carrier;]Situations of self-defense when it is necessary to defend against the threat of immediate harm to oneself, to other humans, or to other animals;
[(b) Animals involved in rodeos or similar exhibitions;]
[(c) Commercially grown poultry;]
[(d) Animals subject to good animal husbandry practices;]
[(e) The killing of livestock according to the provisions of ORS 603.065 (Slaughter methods);]
[(f)](b) Animals subject to good veterinary practices as described in ORS 686.030 (Acts constituting practice of veterinary medicine)[;].
[(g) Lawful fishing, hunting and trapping activities;] [(h) Wildlife management practices under color of law;]

[(i) Lawful scientific or agricultural research or teaching that involves the use of animals;] [(j) Reasonable activities undertaken in connection with the control of vermin or pests; and] [(k) Reasonable handling and training techniques.]
(2) Subsection (1) of this section does not create an exemption from ORS 167.332 (Prohibition against possession of same genus or domestic animal). [1985 c.662 §6; 1995 c.663 §4; 2001 c.926 §10a; 2018

TJ

WKR
It's posted on the Oregon Secretary of State site. Needs 120,413 signatures to make it to the 2024 ballot.

What's concerning about this isn't that I believe there's a chance it will pass, it's the messaging and half truths that the signature gatherer's will spread and potentially turn a few of the indifferent masses into anti-hunters.

try try try again if at first you dont succeed.
Thank you

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
The only reason crap like this gets traction is because no one in the cities has any idea at all what goes on in the country. They pay abolutely no attention to...

5042944.jpg

MattB

WKR
Here's the thing, some people (in my experience) like to play this game where they've deemed themselves the arbiter of truth. Rather than play that game, I don't engage. I'm not going to waste my time arguing with someone about the reliability of various sources. You can choose the route of willful ignorance if you like. No skin off my back. But a Google search will give you a number of sources. Since you're on rokslide, perhaps rmef is a source you will trust. They have a recent article on it. But yeah, I'm sure all these stories are bs as you put it.

You could have found and posted a link in much less time than it took you to write that post.

But I understand adulting is hard.

TJ

WKR
You could have found and posted a link in much less time than it took you to write that post.

It wasn’t my post. I have no idea the source or what it said. Do you?

And yes it’s too bad the I-5 corridor controls most everything in this State.
I do think it’s too radical even for most Oregonian’s

Yeah i have a hard time believing this will get enough votes cause its just so extreme, but sadly i bet it gets enough signatures to bring it to a vote. They have been trying to do this for over a year, maybe 2 if i remember correctly

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR

Both of you could have googled it in the amount of time you posted. So I guess we're even.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
More fear mongering and fake news. Come on people.

Section 9. ORS 167.335 is amended to read:
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, unless gross negligence can be shown, the provisions of ORS 167.315 (Animal abuse in the second degree) to 167.333 (Sexual assault of an animal) do not apply to:
(a) [The treatment of livestock being transported by owner or common carrier;]Situations of self-defense when it is necessary to defend against the threat of immediate harm to oneself, to other humans, or to other animals;
[(b) Animals involved in rodeos or similar exhibitions;]
[(c) Commercially grown poultry;]
[(d) Animals subject to good animal husbandry practices;]
[(e) The killing of livestock according to the provisions of ORS 603.065 (Slaughter methods);]
[(f)](b) Animals subject to good veterinary practices as described in ORS 686.030 (Acts constituting practice of veterinary medicine)[;].
[(g) Lawful fishing, hunting and trapping activities;] [(h) Wildlife management practices under color of law;]

[(i) Lawful scientific or agricultural research or teaching that involves the use of animals;] [(j) Reasonable activities undertaken in connection with the control of vermin or pests; and] [(k) Reasonable handling and training techniques.]
(2) Subsection (1) of this section does not create an exemption from ORS 167.332 (Prohibition against possession of same genus or domestic animal). [1985 c.662 §6; 1995 c.663 §4; 2001 c.926 §10a; 2018
This is interesting. I've found four separate sources including the RMEF that all state the initiative would ban hunting, fishing, trapping, and ranching. But you're right, it definitely looks like it has exemptions for all those activities. I think I'm actually going to reach out to RMEF and see what they have to say about that.

SonnyDay

WKR
It does appear to outlaw sodomizing your elk after you kill it… so some of you may have to alter your “gutless method”.

I guess it also makes it illegal to sodomize the elk before you kill it. If any of you are in shape enough to sodomoze a living elk, post a link to your workout routine!

TJ

WKR
Yeah i have a hard time believing this will get enough votes cause its just so extreme, but sadly i bet it gets enough signatures to bring it to a vote. They have been trying to do this for over a year, maybe 2 if i remember correctly
In reality this has been coming since the no trapping ban and the bear and cougar initiatives.
I wish the voters were left out of wildlife decisions, they simply aren’t qualified.

In reality this has been coming since the no trapping ban and the bear and cougar initiatives.
I wish the voters were left out of wildlife decisions, they simply aren’t qualified.
Quite true. And consider the fact that the $$$$ we spend on wildlife studies and game management is wasted on "studies" whose conclusions are pre-determined by those in high positions regardless of the facts (the wolf scam is a prime example) . They aren't qualified either. Any way you look at it the future of hunting in America is grim.