Out of state Antelope Taxidermy options

RAU

FNG
I live in Pa. My 14 year old son drew a Wyoming Antelope buck tag. I want to mount any buck he might shoot. How should I go about this? I was thinking Maybe I’d skin myself and take The cape to a taxidermist in Wyoming And see if he could split lips, turn ears, flesh And whatever else they need to do and send to a tannery for my taxidermist in Pa. I didn’t talk to anyone about this yet Just thinking. Would a Wyoming taxidermist mount and ship The mount to me? I can’t see this option being very affordable. Any ideas on how I can get an antelope mounted in pa or shipped to pa without paying a ton?

I assume you are driving to WY. If so just take the cape to a local taxidermist and have him cape it out however the taxidermist you will be using in PA prefers. Then have him freeze it and wrap it and bring it home in a cooler with ice or dry ice and get it to your PA taxidermist.

Reactions: Guy

Finn16

WKR
Good advice above. I would avoid having it mounted in WY unless you plan to return or know someone that is going to be in WY next year that can drive it back to PA. Then you have to be concerned if the mount is going to be ready or not. My sister had an elk mounted 5-6 years in Colorado and it cost $550 to ship it to PA. She used a company out of Colorado that ships mounts and meat across the country. Best plan is to take it home with you. Also make sure you choose a taxidermist in PA that has experience mounting antelope.

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
DO NOT DRAG IT ANYWHERE. Skin it out up to the head and then hit it with some stop rot - get it from a taxidermy supply store. Do everything possible to keep the blood off the hair.

Put it in a big cooler with some dry ice (not touching it) and drive it to the PA taxidermist.

Trial153

WKR
I did one last year, caped i out myself, rolled it and froze it. I put it and the meat in a soft cooler then checked it for the flight. Back in the freezer when I got home and took it the taxidermist the following week. Not a problem.
Learning to prep a Cape is worth the time, ears eyes and lips... easy enough to do one your own

hunt1up

WKR
Myself and friends have had several mounted in WY and shipped back home. Antelope aren't that big so a shoulder mount doesn't require a big box. They'd ship them with UPS and it was much easier than messing around bringing it home frozen. I'd do that if it were me. I've had 3 antelope and 2 deer shipped this way.

Jimss

WKR
Top priority is finding a taxidermist that does a quality job. Next, when is the timing of your hunt? The temperatures in early September can be super warm but in October it may be 20 degrees. The trick is to get the cape off your antelope ASAP and cooled down quick when warm. Do you have any caping experience? That alone can make or break a mount! As mentioned above antelope have fragile hollow hair so be super careful with the cape portion while packing out and skinning. I bring along a roll of paper towels to plug the nose, mouth, and bullet hole. Paper towels are also great to catch blood while skinning.

Do you have more than 1 tag to fill? It's obviously important to get the cape frozen ASAP. You may be able to call and ask a wild game processor in Wyo if it's possible for them to freeze your cape until you return home. Once frozen the cape will be fine for the trip home. You won't have to worry about anything. I would definitely place the cape above all ice and make sure ice doesn't melt and get the cape wet. It's super important to keep the cape dry and free of water.

EdP

WKR
Many of the Hy-Vee grocery stores out there carry dry ice, as do other locations (but not Walmart). Cape your animal leaving the head intact. Get it on ice in a cooler immediately and add dry ice ASAP. It will freeze solid and you can deliver to your Pa taxi. Even a nice trophy buck's head will fit in a big cooler along with all the meat. No problem bringing them back east due to CWD either as they are not a cervid species.

Because I process the meat myself, if I had the truck space I would bring a medium cooler for the head and another for the meat. Add dry ice to the head and just keep the meat on ice.

I keep a cooler with several bags of ice in my truck while hunting so the animal is on ice very quickly after the shot.

BuzzH

WKR
...and if something goes wrong with your cape, not a big thing. You can pick up a turned and salted cape relatively inexpensively in about any taxidermy shop in Wyoming. Another thing to consider is some pronghorn capes are pure crap when you shoot them. They tear up their capes pretty bad fighting, crossing under fences, etc. Some also have some color patterns that aren't that great, IMO.

If you hit them wrong, you can really jack up a cape in a hurry as well.

I'm usually around 2-12 dead pronghorn bucks a year for myself and friends/family...maybe half will have really good capes, another couple acceptable capes, and some that are just torn up, shot a bit too far forward, odd color, etc. and aren't worth caping.

You can research a good taxi who is local to your hunt to do the work and ship to Pa when complete. I've done this a few times. My goat from last year is being shipped out sometime this week or next. Mounted and shipped TMD, $678.

Or, if flying, between you and your son, you should have room in your checked bags for a pre frozen cape wrapped in one of those grocery store freezer bags. It will be fine till you get home. BTW, have the boned out meat frozen and bring it on the plane in your pack (again lined with a silver freezer bag) as carry on. I do this all the time with pronghorn and muleys. EDIT: Whatever you do, don't bring the cape on the plane. It will stink up the whole cabin.

Or, if driving, same thing but in a cooler. You may, or may not, have to stop for some additional dry ice, depending on the cooler. Be sure to place cardboard between cape and ice.

Last edited:

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
I used Kim Lutz out of Lander WY two years ago. She picked up the head and cape at the meat locker in Douglas WY and then shipped the shoulder mount to me when it was done. Took about six months. Beautiful mount, and I don't think the shipping was too expensive. Was convenient and I will use her again next year.

Guy

Lil-Rokslider
BTW, antelope can make dramatic Euro/skull mounts, particularly on a dark piece of wood.

Less expensive. Takes less space. Just a thought.

Guy

Many of the Hy-Vee grocery stores out there carry dry ice, as do other locations (but not Walmart).

I don't think you will find a Hy-Vee grocery store in WY. However, during hunting season local grocery stores will have dry ice; and the meat processing plants will have it.

ClearCreek

pirogue

WKR
I had a pronghorn done in the Douglas or Casper area, several years ago, and found out later that the hide was pickled instead of tanned. Another vote for quality first.

What unit? If near buffalo there was a guy that was from eastern oregon that would set up shop just outside of town. Did an excellent job on my daughters goat he will cape it for you if need be. I did her cape and just dropped off. If i reacall his name was jordan. Great guy

Epi610

FNG
Personally saw an antelope cape in Arizona basically fall apart bc it got wet and not cared for/frozen properly. Wasn’t the end of the world, good capes are available and out there if something bad happens, but definitely want to try and avoid it

visage

Lil-Rokslider
Do a euro instead and put the money you save towards another future hunt!

Sounds like you are set on a mount but I'm personally a big fan of euros for lopes - I think they look pretty sweet if done well.