Out of State (CA) Elk hunt/guide question

KaelBear

FNG
Hey all,

I started putting in for multiple out of state points (AZ, MT, WY, CO, UT, NV) for most species, but mainly elk. I have pretty much no experience hunting elk, so my plan was to build up points out of state for a several years for quality units and focus on Idaho and Colorado OTC tags to sharpen my skills. This way I don't blow opportunities when I finally do get drawn.

So here is my plan....
I am thinking of doing an OTC in Colorado next year and hire a guide. Hopefully find a guide that will take me on a style of hunt that I will be doing (backpacking mostly) myself in the coming years. I pretty much want to use the guided hunt as a "elk hunt 101" so I know what the hell I am doing the following year and cut down on the rookie mistakes. I am hoping to avoid a guided trip that means me showing up and them pointing to the one I take.

My question...
I am sure on most hunts I will learn a bit, but I am looking for the education (why, where, how, etc.). Is this a reasonable expectation from a guided hunt? Does anyone know of a quality guide that I should look into? Any other tips or advise is much appreciated!

Marble

WKR
I agree with that above.

Being taught is one thing, learning is another. You're biggest teacher will be time in the field. I would save my money and use it towards good glass or another hunt.

I would maybe think about a private land trespass hunt. With the expectation that there should be some elk on the property. In a public land hunt, you cant always say that, even with a guided hunt. I have been on some hunts where I did not even see or hear an elk in a week of hunting. Hopefully a private land hunt would solve the biggest problem of elk hunting: where are the elk??? You can do that either DIY or fully guided. I realize you want to backpack in the future, but getting to see and interact with elk on this first hunt to me is the biggest issue.

The “accumulate points everywhere while you hunt Idaho and Colorado plan” -well, That’s basically everybodies plan. Or at least everybody who pays for a service that tells them that’s the way to go which In Turn keeps it essential to keep paying for the service- Accordingly none of you will ever draw the tags you are talking about as they creep at the same or higher rate than you accumulate points. Hell yeah!!!!

Bob92057

FNG
Been doing the same as the OP for out of state points. However I was able to draw a top tier AZ bull tag this year. Random. So yes point creep is a bitch but someone has to draw.

The “accumulate points everywhere while you hunt Idaho and Colorado plan” -well, That’s basically everybodies plan. Or at least everybody who pays for a service that tells them that’s the way to go which In Turn keeps it essential to keep paying for the service- Accordingly none of you will ever draw the tags you are talking about as they creep at the same or higher rate than you accumulate points. Hell yeah!!!!

That’s a fairly troll comment. Any suggestions or just trying to tear him down?

@OP, glad you’re here and stoked for you to start hunting elk.

I’d echo the above about elk101, elknut, and as much reading/YouTube as you can get your hands on. Why? There actually aren’t many guides that do backpack hunts. The vast majority do backcountry drop camps, which isn’t bad but isn’t what you’re going to be doing if you do DIY OTC.

The most important success factor in DIY is managing the pressure from others. That skill will get you more elk than anything else, and the only way to learn it is to go get your hands dirty. Scout some areas ASAP and fly out this year just to backpack and find elk during season! (Not hunt)

Yeah, plenty of point creep, do watch out for that. Honestly though, OTC elk hunting is fantastic and you can do it every year. I’d flip your mindset from “prepping for draw hunt” to “perfecting OTC and every now and then get a draw”. Sets expectations well, and honestly even the good draw hunts aren’t “easy”. I personally think any elk OTC is a bigger trophy than a 300+ private land or once in a lifetime draw bull

That’s a fairly troll comment. Any suggestions or just trying to tear him down?

@OP, glad you’re here and stoked for you to start hunting elk.

I’d echo the above about elk101, elknut, and as much reading/YouTube as you can get your hands on. Why? There actually aren’t many guides that do backpack hunts. The vast majority do backcountry drop camps, which isn’t bad but isn’t what you’re going to be doing if you do DIY OTC.

The most important success factor in DIY is managing the pressure from others. That skill will get you more elk than anything else, and the only way to learn it is to go get your hands dirty. Scout some areas ASAP and fly out this year just to backpack and find elk during season! (Not hunt)

Yeah, plenty of point creep, do watch out for that. Honestly though, OTC elk hunting is fantastic and you can do it every year. I’d flip your mindset from “prepping for draw hunt” to “perfecting OTC and every now and then get a draw”. Sets expectations well, and honestly even the good draw hunts aren’t “easy”. I personally think any elk OTC is a bigger trophy than a 300+ private land or once in a lifetime draw bull
Anyone who begins this process with soon realize the truth in what Juan Treuno is saying, it's easy to accuse another of "trolling" but after reading (and reading) basically the same threads by successive posters it's also easy to just say it like it is …… BOOKS and MORE BOOKS then HUNTS and MORE HUNTS and it doesn't have to be an "elk hunt" to learn "how to HUNT" …. another route is to hire an OUTFITTER to do a "drop camp" and DIY in "elk country" - off season trade shows is the place to vet outfitters after, of course, good reviews from other hunters

I mean there’s sarcasm there, but for someone new who is asking for help they probably won’t get that. He basically just said “everything you’re doing is wrong” without answering the primary question at all. Totally agree with the wisdom in his post about point creep etc, just delivery to a new guy looking for help ain’t great. Want to make sure OP feels welcomed

Go hunting. Screw the points. You will be able to get a general tag in Wyoming in a few years if you buy points there and a point guarantees you an elk tag in Montana but you don’t need one to draw the tag. Otherwise points aren’t your friend. They just lead to false expectations and additional expense on each tag you draw. There are planty of chances at 300plus bulls in general hunts for the guy who is dialed. don’t get caught up putting money in the parking meter of preference points jus to hold you spot.

OP
KaelBear

KaelBear

FNG
Appreciate all the input..and I am far from offended with blunt, honest comments. That would make me a hypocrite....

I understand the the pitfalls of point creep, but still want to have that experience of hunting one of those "epic" areas when I get enough points. I figure after years of OTC and DIY hunts, I will be dialed in. Also, if/when I do get drawn, it will be great experience to take my boys with me. ( I also plan to start getting them youth points in the states that allow it, so they can hit 18 with some points in their pockets.)

So far I have been eating up tons of info and I am on Elk101. I will check out ElkNut as well. Got drawn for my deer tag in Montana this year, so should be able to some meat in the freezer (picked up a surplus doe tag) and get the lay of the land while I am out there.

I was just thinking that a guided trip initially would put me on the right track on some "Do's and Dont's".

Again, look forward to hearing more from everyone! Thanks!

Cockeye

WKR
Look up elknut podcast there pretty awesome while driving to work in morning. He sells a app for phone ($9.99) and has some packages with play book and dvds.

WRO

WKR
Get a good guide, it's like going to elk college. The more encounters the better. I've killed a bunch, public OTC, private, and guided. I've learned the most from the pros..

I can't help with Colorado, but I know some great outfitters in Oregon.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk