Out of state horseback riding in Wyoming

Hootybob

FNG
I am bringing a few horses from out of state too Wyoming to elk hunt this fall in Nation Forest lands. Trying to get some clarity on what documentation I need to bring with me.
Does the documentation need to be paper, or can it be digital?
Horses have a negative cogins test and have UTD vaccines (this was done in March). Is there a certain time before coming that this is only valid for (thought I read something like it had to be no more than 30 days, but unclear)?
Also, do I need to take the horses somewhere to be inspected once getting there?

Any other information would be much appreciated if you should think I need to know, thanks!

I’m pretty sure it needs to be done within 30 days. That’s what we have always done. Not sure about paper or digital but best to have paper just in case.

Chase0109

FNG
I’m not an expert. But I have brought my horses to WY a few times for elk hunts. Negative coggins. Health certificate issued less than 30 days before travel (I think there is a new longer term health certificate available that lasts 3 months or so). You will need brand inspection paperwork in WY. That’s pretty simple. A little google searching and you can get a list of inspectors/location from the livestock board. Call one and schedule an appointment. They will come to you. I did mine at a overnight boarding stable in Cheyenne when I crossed onto WY. Takes about an hour and they print you official papers on the spot. Pay for the lifetime inspection. Only $25 or so more than a 1 time. Allows you to enter/leave the state with out getting inspected each time. Once you get brand paperwork everything else is pretty simple.

Chase

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
I believe the coggins test has to be within 6 months, you also need to have a brand inspection, most western states have an agreement to honor other western states. You will have to schedule that with a vet clinic in one of the western states in the agreement. You also need a vet check within 30 days of travel. Go to the Wyoming Livestock Board webpage, they have a lot of info.

Attachments

• Western-States-and-Provinces-Horse-Brand-Inspection-Coggins-Testing-and-Travel-Permit-Requirem...pdf
    192.9 KB · Views: 1

Baddog

WKR
Well I guess I’m ignorant on this topic. I had no idea that you can’t take your Idaho horse to Wyoming without the governments written approval. Is this actually warranted or more bs government intervention? I’m not a horse guy at all…

OP
Hootybob

Hootybob

FNG
Thanks to everyone that chimed in here, you've all been a big help!

wysongdog

WKR
Not sure I would call it exactly written approval the brand inspection, health inspection, and coggins are required for moving horses across any state lines. I’ve actually heard you have to have them for crossing county lines but don’t know if that’s true.

rayporter

WKR
health papers [ within 30 days] are actually required for entrance to any state, though it is largely ignored, at least in the east. sometimes if there is a disease going around they get a little more active on enforcement.

you are much much more likely to get checked near the mountains but i got stopped once in Tennessee by a trooper.