Out of state - Trailer/Tent setup

Trial153

WKR
Ordering an Opus 4 for the family and still I undecided on small two person zero set up travel trailer for me. I cant get past the logistics of it ....yes it make it easier sometime but it also makes it harder sometime s

I use the new Go Tent from Davis. Setup time is around 20 - 30 minutes with heat going.

Voyageur

WKR
Ordering an Opus 4 for the family and still I undecided on small two person zero set up travel trailer for me. I cant get past the logistics of it ....yes it make it easier sometime but it also makes it harder sometime s
Exactly. Therein lies the conundrum.

Mosby

WKR
I have a number of tent options depending on what I am doing. I almost always set up a base camp on hunting trips and go mobile from there.

- 12 x 12 Cabela's Alaknak w/wood stove
- 10 x 10 Kodiak
- Seek Outside Redcliff with Ti stove
- 2 man Black Diamond Mesa tent
- Nemo Tenshi 4 season 1 man tent
- Big Agnes Slater 1 man
- 4 season Dream Hammock
- 5 x 8 utility trailer to haul camp in, if needed.

Whisky

WKR

What 1 man travel trailers have you looked at if you don't mind? Assume it would be something more suitable for cold weather than the Opus?

Edit to add. I did have a fear of pulling trailers around for hunts at one point also. I'm mostly over that. Over the past 3 seasons we have pulled fully loaded utility, 6x12 cargo and a 8.5x16 Ice Castle on various hunts in 3 different states. We've never experienced an issue. I know it's only a matter of time. But keep a couple spares and impact ready, and that will cover the most likely scenario with ease.

Trial153

WKR
What 1 man travel trailers have you looked at if you don't mind? Assume it would be something more suitable for cold weather than the Opus?

Edit to add. I did have a fear of pulling trailers around for hunts at one point also. I'm mostly over that. Over the past 3 seasons we have pulled fully loaded utility, 6x12 cargo and a 8.5x16 Ice Castle on various hunts in 3 different states. We've never experienced an issue. I know it's only a matter of time. But keep a couple spares and impact ready, and that will cover the most likely scenario with ease.

Boreas XT and Blue Ridge BRX were two i was thinking about

Elk97

WKR
I've got a camper trailer for my base camp. Nash 17K, which is about a 19-20" box. 4 season (insulated tanks). We hunt grizzly areas and it's nice to have something solid to keep your stuff in and have reliable heat when it's cold. Guess I'm just too old to mess with setting up a wall tent, even though I love the looks of them. I wouldn't go much bigger unless you don't mind not being able to get to the gnarly places I take mine.

pk_

WKR
I think this type of setup would work really great size wise. Im just concerned on how to heat it safely. I would really like to have heat all night when needed, but would be reluctant to run a propane heater all night, even with a CO2 monitor.
Idk how cold you plan to camp in, but I ran a mini buddy heater in my cheap Coleman 8person pop up tent in the low teens and I would just heat up the tent when I got back from hunting to change and get in the sleeping bag then shut off the heater, I was fine all night(and I absolutely hate being cold). Then I would kick the heater on when my alarm went off in the morning, it would heat that tent up very quickly nice and warm to get dressed...

another option if you truly needed all night heat is a little electric space heater and an inverter generator... I was using a small electric space heater when I had electric hookup and honestly usually I would have to shut the thing off in the middle of the night it got too warm if you are in a sleeping bag with base layers. Should also note I was using cheap sleeping bags(but good base layers lol).

JohnIrish

FNG
I use an Ellis tent with a stove jack & a propane stove. Setup is under 15 minutes. The tent canvas is lightweight so easy to move around.

ODB

WKR
I use the new Go Tent from Davis. Setup time is around 20 - 30 minutes with heat going.

Very cool - not sure how I missed that tent as i have looked at the DAvis site many times. Looks like a good one.

OP
E

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider

This looks like it may be a great option. Do you have the sewn on floor?

Elknutty

FNG
If you are going to be camped in an area for a few days, it’s hard to beat a canvas wall tent with a wood stove. I have a Montana Canvas tent and it is great. If you are wanting to be more mobile and going solo, a canopy on the back of your pickup makes for a good camp too. Also depends on the weather. If I think I’m going to be getting wet, I bring the wall tent and stove.

lawhusky

FNG
I have a number of tent options depending on what I am doing. I almost always set up a base camp on hunting trips and go mobile from there.

- 12 x 12 Cabela's Alaknak w/wood stove
- 10 x 10 Kodiak
- Seek Outside Redcliff with Ti stove
- 2 man Black Diamond Mesa tent
- Nemo Tenshi 4 season 1 man tent
- Big Agnes Slater 1 man
- 4 season Dream Hammock
- 5 x 8 utility trailer to haul camp in, if needed.
I'm on the fence between Alaknak and 10x14 Kodiak. Hoping to use it for family camping in the summer (1-3 nights) as well as base camp for hunting. Apart from the stove option in the Alaknak, which do you prefer and which would you think would be a better all-around tent for spring, summer and fall camping / hunting?

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
My hunt tenting comes down to 3 options, depending on hunt needs:

1- Base Camp, Toyota Tundra with Wells Cargo trailer 6x10. Holding 10x12 Rainer wall tent, with optional 6x10 front porch extension for covered outside cooking/sitting and all base camp necessities including propane hot shower system, 7cf freezer & generator. Large cylinder wood stove for heat, keeping meals warm. Once wall tent camp set, use Cargo trailer for enclosed kitchen, pantry and locking storage for valuables when out in field hunting or spike camping. Total time base camp-trailer pantry set via solo: 4+ hours. That is set up time for complete nights sleep and 2 nights firewood cut. Use this for 7 day+ camp/hunt archery or rifle seasons.

2-My Non-Resident Solo archery hunt/camps.
>Xterra, outfitted outlander style with 12v fridge, solar generator & solar panel recharger. Very mobile, Can sleep comfortable in Xterra with DIY custom built interior platform-storage unit.
>>Or pitch tent camp with Kodiak 10x10, propane heat source, complete cooking area, propane hot shower, A palace for hunting solo. Camp set up time with Kodiak & separate shower tent, less than 90 minutes and ready for relax, cook, or sleep.

3-Solo archery backcountry/spike camp: Kifaru Tut, pack, gear, total pack weight 55-lbs.

see my AZ desert buck in last image of Xterra Outland set up pic....

Attachments

• 2020.twisp deer camp 2nd snow_LI.jpg
    2020.twisp deer camp 2nd snow_LI.jpg
    490.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 2020.base camp 2 (2).jpg
    2020.base camp 2 (2).jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 2020.AZ Trailhead basecamp 2_LI BLK resized.jpg
    2020.AZ Trailhead basecamp 2_LI BLK resized.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 104
  • December2020.am hanging at camp (2).jpg
    December2020.am hanging at camp (2).jpg